WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FORD V10 'BRAIN TRUST'

norcalLmo

Reaction score
I'm done with diesels - but looking for a strong 'hauler' for boats and trailers - I'm in 'frick'n' California and don't want to get screwed on smog deletes/failures -

Looking at a V-10 Excursion (I'm sure it has 373 gears)

Excursion stats:
2002 V-10
4x4
no lift, want to run 20" with decent tires - nothing extreme
Toys being pulled will range from a 'roll-bar' boat to a 30' offshore - not buying for fuel economy

What are the BEST performance add-on's do you recommend w/o jeopordizing my abilty to pass smog?
430 gears? (price to swap and who's do you recommend)
Tuner?
Exhaust?
Thanks in advance

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What are the BEST performance add-on's do you recommend w/o jeopordizing my abilty to pass smog?

Buying a Chevy.

Banks has power packages for the v10 that are CARB compliant. That is about your only option. Don't expect too much, those early 2 valve V10s are pretty anemic.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
I've read the early V10s had some sort of problem with the sparkplugs, it would spit them out, lol. Not sure if it was a flaw in the plug design or the heads themselves. Supposedly things were changed in 03-04 and the problem went away. You can do a search, there has been some discussion of it here occasionally over the years. My motorhome is an 04 model with the V10 and after reading about the issues here shortly after getting it I will admit I was kinda rattled, lol. But so far it's been fine.:cool:

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I had two F250 V10’s. Wasn’t overly impressed with the power. Could have lived with the absolute terrible fuel economy, if it was a Tow beast..... but wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleB

Reaction score
I had a V-10 Excursion put headers and the air intake system, ran it for 176,000 trouble free miles

Doesnt tow like a diesel and mileage wasnt good

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
find a chevy with the 8.1. mine will tow anything and get somewhat decent mileage. if you consider 8-9 decent while towing.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Ive always been impressed with them. My dad had a 2V one in a heavy ass motorhome and towed a loaded trailer everywhere (probably 25K+ combined), and it did fantastic. It did have 5.38 gears. He replaced it with a VT365 diesel that weights a bit more, but doesnt run as good and he has had to put thousands into fixes already. He misses the V10.

The 2v Motors do spit spark plugs out. Relatively easy fix with a timesert, or you can fix them all ahead of time and not worry.

The 8.1 does run a little better if you can find a 2500 8.1 suburban. Excursions are way cooler though, IMO.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The Banks setup isn't cheap, but does help out considerably. Gearing for tire size is a must, they have a different powerband than a bbc, and don't like lugging.
The early ones had both spark plug and piston rattle issues. Most notably the head material itself would blow out on the 99/early 00. I towed a WW 4005ftl with one. Not fast up Cahon, but did it ok...big tires and geared, but 4.5mpg with that pig to Needles:eek:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If your stuck on a V10 Excusion for tow duty, make sure you keep the tire size stock or go big on the gears. They make good power above 3500rpm, below that they aren't a powerhouse. Best "smog legal" mods are gears and a 5-star tune seems to be the hot ticket. Some V10's had a restricted exhaust Y-pipe, i believe they make a high flow replacement for this that adds some HP as well.

If you want another option that pulls a bit more like a diesel (not the same, but closer....) the 8.1 Suburban platform do a good job. Alot more low end power, they don't need to downshift as much.

Both have horrible MPG but it is what it is.

Last edited:

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
2v V10s are good engines, no cam phasers. The spark plug issues on the early ones commonly present themselves after they are changed. The threads can be damaged on removal or installation.

CA legal air intakes actually wake them up a lot. 5 star tuner is a good help.

Ebay sells a new section to pick up 30hp with a new y pipe. It is pinched down from factory to reduce exhaust flutter noise.

Some v10 excursions have 4.30s from the factory. Check the tags on the axles. The bigger issue with towing is the rear springs rather than the engine. Need new or modified springs and a sway bar. The 4R100 is a great trans behind the v10.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
find a chevy with the 8.1. mine will tow anything and get somewhat decent mileage. if you consider 8-9 decent while towing.
8 or 9 is what they get empty. My dad had thr 3/4 ton avalache with 4wd and the 8.1, he never saw 10 averaged on a tank. Towing the 5500# boat it was 6 ish.

The early v 10s did have spark plug issues, other than that the only thing they wont do is pass a gas station

HBCraig

Reaction score
Buying a Chevy.

Banks has power packages for the v10 that are CARB compliant. That is about your only option. Don't expect too much, those early 2 valve V10s are pretty anemic.

I had a Banks kit in my V10 Excursion and it did fine. A lot more responsive

HBCraig

Reaction score
Also, I had 2WD Excursion thatbi towed with. I put air bags in the rear which helped a lot

SLEEK28

Reaction score
I don't chime in very often, but I have to give some input on this subject. I currently have two of the 2v V-10 crew cabs and a Suburban with the 8.1. There is absolutely no comparison. Calling the V10s anemic is an understatement. You wont be disappointed by the reliability of the Excursion but you will be with the towing power. The 8.1 will walk all over it. (and I'm a ford guy).

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I had a Banks kit in my V10 Excursion and it did fine. A lot more responsive

The later 3 valve one seem more responsive to mods. A friend has a 3 valve with the Banks kit in an RV and says it is acceptable now.

oldschool

Reaction score
Sounds like you are set on a gas Excursion, but if you change your mind I’ll have a 2003 F250 7.3 cc 4x4 for sale in the next month or so. 210,000 miles , stock, original owner.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The early V10’s will disappoint you for sure.

guest hs

Reaction score
Make sure you find a 3 valve version I think 05 and newer

norcalLmo

Reaction score
As ALWAYS Great feedback from the members here! It's just a tow vehicle that'll be used on the weekends to pull the boat(s) to the river, lake or the delta No extreme pulls except for the annual Desert Storm run For the cost and people comfort I'm just looking for a reliable tow'er! Thx again gang!!!

TCHB

Reaction score
I'm done with diesels - but looking for a strong 'hauler' for boats and trailers - I'm in 'frick'n' California and don't want to get screwed on smog deletes/failures -

Looking at a V-10 Excursion (I'm sure it has 373 gears)

Excursion stats:
2002 V-10
4x4
no lift, want to run 20" with decent tires - nothing extreme
Toys being pulled will range from a 'roll-bar' boat to a 30' offshore - not buying for fuel economy

430 gears? (price to swap and who's do you recommend)
Tuner?
Exhaust?
Thanks in advance
Nothing is better than low gears

C-2

Reaction score
I have a 2003 I bought new. On the motors and the plugs, they fixed the heads in November 2002. You can find the motor manufacturing date , I believe, on the front of the block. Mine is a "pinger"; it pings like a diesel on a grade. Ford's solution - lay off the throttle momentarily.

The only issue I've had with it was a random stall, caused by a moisture damaged fuel relay fuse on the fuse block. The only problem is the fuse is soldered onto the block, so the block must be removed/rebuilt. Sounds a lot worse than it was (the fix was easy, diagnosing the issue was the bigger problem). Some of the windshields have sucky gaskets and can suffer water intrusion. Since I live in SoCal - still not sure how that happened, lol.