WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford vs Ferrari

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Unfortunately the new movie can only be so long. I was a little let down they skip right from him being a racer to being a few years in to Shelby American and car production, but I understand it really wasn't relevant to the story line.

I think one thing many people don't realize while watching the movie is Carroll Shelby actually won Le Mans as a manufacture prior to winning the overall with the GT40s. Using the Daytona Coupe they not only won the GT class at Le Mans, they were 4th overall beating Ferrari, Porsche and Alfas! What really blows me away is there were more DNFs at 30 than actual finishers at a total of 24! Tells you that finishing 1st is not only incredible, but just finishing the 24 hours is amazing.

He is the only person to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans as a driver with Aston Martin in 1959 (noted in the movie), as a manufacturer with the Cobra Daytona Coupe in 1964 and as a team manager in 1966 and 1967 for the Ford GT program.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ It would have been cool to go through the development starting with the Cobras, then the Daytona Coupe, and finally the GT40. Like you stated though, the movie can only be so long.

bocco

Reaction score
Unfortunately the new movie can only be so long. I was a little let down they skip right from him being a racer to being a few years in to Shelby American and car production, but I understand it really wasn't relevant to the story line.

I think one thing many people don't realize while watching the movie is Carroll Shelby actually won Le Mans as a manufacture prior to winning the overall with the GT40s. Using the Daytona Coupe they not only won the GT class at Le Mans, they were 4th overall beating Ferrari, Porsche and Alfas! What really blows me away is there were more DNFs at 30 than actual finishers at a total of 24! Tells you that finishing 1st is not only incredible, but just finishing the 24 hours is amazing.

He is the only person to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans as a driver with Aston Martin in 1959 (noted in the movie), as a manufacturer with the Cobra Daytona Coupe in 1964 and as a team manager in 1966 and 1967 for the Ford GT program.

Looking at lists of winners I can't find the Daytona Coupe listed as a winner. I did find it referenced in an article though.

Correction. I was not looking at the different class winners. They did take GT500.

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
My bad I guess those were webers I was looking at. But I don't think they have secondaries either.
I would think that they are referring to the secondary fuel circuit (which is jetted independently on webers) and not the secondarys like we would be used to seeing in a traditional 4bbl carb.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I tried to go this weekend, but all the showings at 2 theaters were sold out...all weekend.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
^^^ It would have been cool to go through the development starting with the Cobras, then the Daytona Coupe, and finally the GT40. Like you stated though, the movie can only be so long.

If you are ever in Parker get hold of me and we'll go visit Ted Sutton. He might satisfy some questions you might have.

playdeep

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1574265637908.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I need to go see the Movie.

I was pretty excited to see that Phillip Remington got some play and was a part of the movie.

I handled his auto Insurance until he passed away in 2013. Very nice unassuming guy that I always enjoyed talking to. We used to chat a little about cars and racing when he called in and I had no idea who or what he had accomplished in his life. One day we were talking and I mentioned to him that my ex step dad (cock sucker) had a original 289 cobra and he mentioned he worked on those and knew them pretty good.

I googled his name and almost dropped my phone...lol

Clank123

Reaction score
0C3CBAB8-27F7-4885-A126-682437066636.jpeg

B4AB57A5-42FC-43A6-8440-E8C7F3F98BA2.jpeg

Spent a couple hours with Ted on Monday. So many stories.
He had me upload these photos to his computer(usually this is Wheelers job!).
That’s Ted in the Willys racing the DragonSnake at Pomona in 1964.

scottchbrite

Reaction score

I don’t want to sound like an Adam Carolla fanboy but he just released a Carroll Shelby documentary, came out yesterday. They learned so much info from filming 24 Hour War, and had a lot of footage already, they did a documentary on him too.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I just realized this morning that I went to school with a girl that is married to the guy that wrote the book this movie is based off of. pretty cool.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 818421

View attachment 818422

Spent a couple hours with Ted on Monday. So many stories.
He had me upload these photos to his computer(usually this is Wheelers job!).
That’s Ted in the Willys racing the DragonSnake at Pomona in 1964.

No one had better stories from that era than Ted. I’ve really enjoyed my time with him the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Saw it last night...really good movie... a few minor flaws but nothing big...

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

The story goes that the Daytona coupe was actually on pace to win the overall (beating the prototypes) but they had a pinhole leak in an oil cooler but the rules said you couldn't add oil until you completed X amount of laps so they had to limp the car around for a few laps with virtually no oil in the sump before they could fix it. A superformance Daytona coupe is my holy grail (hilarious I probably wouldn't even get close to fitting) and I too wish the movie would have talked more about that story how Ken miles and Pete Brock built the car together because everyone else in the shop thought it was too ugly to work on.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The story goes that the Daytona coupe was actually on pace to win the overall (beating the prototypes) but they had a pinhole leak in an oil cooler but the rules said you couldn't add oil until you completed X amount of laps so they had to limp the car around for a few laps with virtually no oil in the sump before they could fix it. A superformance Daytona coupe is my holy grail (hilarious I probably wouldn't even get close to fitting) and I too wish the movie would have talked more about that story how Ken miles and Pete Brock built the car together because everyone else in the shop thought it was too ugly to work on.

Awesome, I didn't know this.

I love the Daytona Coupes. GT40 Mk II and FIA 289 Cobras all just so bitchen. Honestly, my favorite Shelby is the 67 Trans American Series Mustang Coupes. Shelbys are my favorite cars in the world. Well at least up to the 67 coupe. Shelbys got to plush and wussy for me when they started building the gt500s etc, even Shelby said so.

So this car has been for sale for some time for a few hundred thousand. It was actually at the Shelby Museum for a few months in Vegas. At the time I bought a beat 67 that I was going to turn in to a T/A car. The museum let me spend a few hours crawling through this car on my own to get photos, measurements etc so I could duplicate it. After building up about 10k in parts and putting in about four months in to the build, I just kept digging a hole. The car was a complete basket case with too much needed so I sold it. I would like to get another 67 coupe; hopefully one in nicer condition.
These things just look SOOOOO RIGHT!
maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing looks tougher than this.
images

169741aab9ba735393c32f3e1a463a96.jpg

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
My son did a short film on the same story line about 2 years ago. I think that is what triggered the interest on the full length movie.
Take a look. 8 meters by Dan Kahn, Kahn Media. He was also chosen person of the year at SEMA this year.

Hats off to your son, best video I have seen yet on the 66 race. Many thanks for sharing it.

spectras only

Reaction score
Bruce McLaren should not have accepted first place if he was a real sportsman. American car winning with a limey in one, creeping up a few feet to take victory.:rolleyes::(
Was this decision for lineup of the three cars by Ford shown in the movie?

PlanB

Reaction score
Bruce McLaren should not have accepted first place if he was a real sportsman. American car winning with a limey in one, creeping up a few feet to take victory.:rolleyes::(
Was this decision for lineup of the three cars by Ford shown in the movie?

The movie does address the cars crossing the line together.

spectras only

Reaction score
The movie does address the cars crossing the line together.
OK, but, did they credit Ken Miles or McLaren or the team? There were three cars and three drivers. If it was one car with three drivers, then it wouldn't have mattered, would it?

PlanB

Reaction score
OK, but, did they credit Ken Miles or McLaren or the team? There were three cars and three drivers. If it was one car with three drivers, then it wouldn't have mattered, would it?

The order came from Ford and Shelby told Miles to do what he wanted. Miles slowed his car down for the photo finish. Because McLaren's car had traveled further, he was given the overall win.

spectras only

Reaction score
The order came from Ford and Shelby told Miles to do what he wanted. Miles slowed his car down for the photo finish. Because McLaren's car had traveled further, he was given the overall win.

I know what Ford did.Watched the documentary above. Bruce should have stayed side by side with Miles IMO.The track was wide enough for the two at the finish.;) I'm sure Miles must have been slightly pissed. Any competitive racer would have been, team mate or not.:(

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
No one had better stories from that era than Ted. I’ve really enjoyed my time with him the last couple years.

Did he tell you about the time that he and Unser were on a road trip? :D

Dana757

Reaction score
I know what Ford did.Watched the documentary above. Bruce should have stayed side by side with Miles IMO.The track was wide enough for the two at the finish.;) I'm sure Miles must have been slightly pissed. Any competitive racer would have been, team mate or not.:(
He would have had to be more than 18' behind for Miles to win. But the way it went down the race officials gave the win to who they gave it to. Bruce had no say after the fact.
I knew the crew chief on the McLaren car fairly well. He knew who was going to win. He taught me a life lesson during a barter. "If you want fair then go to Pomona (LA county fair grounds). That's were the fair is, there's no fair here." Was he a prick? Yes, and a very talented one at that. lol

bonesfab

Reaction score
A friend told me to stop by one day and check out his shop. He didn’t tell me what he did or had. He was part of the car crew on the movie.
5F29F13D-B4F5-4550-91EC-8FA6B585AAF0.jpeg
19BEABF9-EEFC-48D9-B71F-08E71F36B50E.jpeg

Attachments

• FECD84D5-5C2A-40E1-BEA4-3F5E05628C08.jpeg
    FECD84D5-5C2A-40E1-BEA4-3F5E05628C08.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 91A2AB17-E103-4A52-A40B-F369593DE466.jpeg
    91A2AB17-E103-4A52-A40B-F369593DE466.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 76

Hammer

Reaction score
Great Movie!! My heart was racing a few times during the movie. Thought I was gonna have to go for a walk to calm down!!

Sad to see Ken Miles get screwed by Ford... I didn’t know he passed in practice and never got a chance to race Le Mans the next year..

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Took my pops and loved it. He did too as he couldn’t stop talking about things the movie missed, tie ins with other things in history, etc. Man, I want a Cobra....

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Awesome, I didn't know this.

I love the Daytona Coupes. GT40 Mk II and FIA 289 Cobras all just so bitchen. Honestly, my favorite Shelby is the 67 Trans American Series Mustang Coupes. Shelbys are my favorite cars in the world. Well at least up to the 67 coupe. Shelbys got to plush and wussy for me when they started building the gt500s etc, even Shelby said so.

So this car has been for sale for some time for a few hundred thousand. It was actually at the Shelby Museum for a few months in Vegas. At the time I bought a beat 67 that I was going to turn in to a T/A car. The museum let me spend a few hours crawling through this car on my own to get photos, measurements etc so I could duplicate it. After building up about 10k in parts and putting in about four months in to the build, I just kept digging a hole. The car was a complete basket case with too much needed so I sold it. I would like to get another 67 coupe; hopefully one in nicer condition.
These things just look SOOOOO RIGHT!
maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing looks tougher than this.
images

169741aab9ba735393c32f3e1a463a96.jpg

Here is the story on the first trip to LeMans with the Daytona coupe

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Here is the story on the first trip to LeMans with the Daytona coupe

Thanks for sharing. Super cool.

I've only been in a real Cobra one time and who better to ride with than Mr. Cobra himself, Lyn Park. :D

View attachment 819663 View attachment 819664 View attachment 819665

Awesome. My dad did a ton of open track with Lyn in the late 80s and 90s. Really nice man.

Took my wife to see the movie this weekend and she absolutely loved it. She said she appreciated it even more because she watched the 24 Hour War prior to going.

I don't think I have been to the movies to see the same movie twice since I was in my teens!!!!! :D

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Incredible. My father and I went with super low expectations. We hate Matt Damon but God damn it, he and Bale were great. My father watched Ken Miles race many times and saw him race at Sebring. My dad also knew Shelby and he thought Damon did a great job. We walked out of the theater and we both looked at each other and said we could turn around and go in and watch it again.

So again, we absolutely loved it. Just a few things I was thinking about:

* If you own anything Ford GT or early Shelby prices are gonna go up guaranteed. The 2000s Ford GTs are gonna go even crazier.

* There were a few screw ups of course that I caught off the bat (sure there was many morel but what do you expect from Hollywood? First one I noticed were the K&N style filters on the Guardsman Blue GT40 in the earlier part of the film.

Second one was they just used regular public roads for the Riverside scene at the end of the movie. They could have used Buttonwillow; similar look enough to the old Riverside track in terms of vegetation, etc.

However, neither of these items took away from the film at all. Just making an observation.

* I was so excited when I got home and may have talked my wife in to letting me start another Mustang project in June. :D

* Seriously go see it in the theater. We saw it at one of those worh the loungers and geeat sound. It was awesome! Gonna take the wife this week!

* That Leo Beebe was a complete dick wad.

* Damn I wish I had a lot of money! I would have so many 60s Shelbys and GT40s!

Spent hours running 100s of laps at Willow Springs with my father. Miss those days. Maybe i can build another car and take my pops to drive again. It would be a dream and he is approaching his 80s.

My father at Willow Springs in early 90s.
View attachment 817380

Next to my Dad's 65 Shelby R Model Tribute. Early 90s Willow Springs The lower photo is his 65 tribute and a company car that was in the process of getting sold when they were a dealer for Shelby.(you can see him getting in to the car up ahead in the photo). The Cobra is an aluminum 427Shelby car. Customer didn't want it painted. This is full aluminum and considered a real Shelby. Called a "Continuation Car" with a real CSX number.
View attachment 817381
Sports Illustrated has an great article last issue talking about how they chose the track scenes and about Damon and Bale

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post was I couldnt believe that one of the world's best drivers (Miles) actually did so much wrenching. So cool. Could you imagine being on a top tier Le Mans style team where the drivers spent time working on their own race car during the week? That just doesnt happen. Racing in the 60s was so much cooler.
To paraphrase a Don Garlits comment when Shirley Muldowny came a long and , "A real drag racer is someone who can walk up to a plie of parts on the starting line, put 'em all together and make a pass down the track." :p

Same holds true with all types of racing, at least back in the day.....:D

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Wife and I went on Sunday. Both of us loved it! I usually pick movies apart, and I had little to bitch about with this one. The RPM stuff was close to pissing me off, but they kept it under control. To be super picky, the door worked fine after being totally shit. Only took a BFH.

playdeep

Reaction score
G/F and I saw it last night...
Exceeded expectations...which were pretty high after reading everyone's comments.
Girlfriend loved it,wants to see it again.