WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Foreign Plates

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
In the last year or so I have noticed an extraordinary amount of Texas plates in North Phoenix. Are these people that live here but register there for some reason or people that moved here from Texas and don't re-register their vehicles? If so, why would they come here? There are your typical snowbirds from the mid-west and North-East but the VAST majority of foreign to AZ plates I see, about 95%, are from Texas.

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Im not sure Im correct but , I do know its much less expensive to register a vehicle in Texas . I just worked on a vehicle that is owned by a "city" worker and he told me thats why he still has Texas plates on his truck .

nameisbond

Reaction score
25 years ago with rental car companies in Arizona it was popular to register their fleet out of Illinois. The legislature put a stop to it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
TX is my domicile address and I stay in N PHX in the winter.

Cdog

Reaction score
I bought my F350 in Texas as all the local morons are fresh off the banana boat looking to rape you.

Nein Danke!

As of Friday it has MT plates though. lol!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There it is:

I bought my F350 in Texas as all the local morons are fresh off the banana boat looking to rape you.

Nein Danke!

Cdog

Reaction score
I do see a lot of TX plates in CA now on the 10. Man that's a hell of a drive...

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Have you also noticed that every other car is from TX around here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do notice a few but not anywhere near a mass amount of them. I like seeing them :)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The number of Montana and other northern tiered state plates on F350s doddling around Havasu that are adorned with 1000lb cattle guard semi-truck front bumpers is mind blowing.
Makes me think I should be marketing locomotive style cowcatchers up yonder, eh?🤘😄

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I understand the Montana tax dodge I just don’t get the TX thing.

jones performance

Reaction score
The number of Montana and other northern tiered state plates on F350s doddling around Havasu that are adorned with 1000lb cattle guard semi-truck front bumpers is mind blowing.
Makes me think I should be marketing locomotive style cowcatchers up yonder, eh?🤘😄

the deer on the highway can fuck up your day pretty quick in those areas.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I understand the Montana tax dodge I just don’t get the TX thing.

No personal state income taxes. I don't own property there so no property taxes. Getting a DL wasn't easy...wanted original birth certificate, etc. Reg on the truck, harley and 5th wheel weren't bad. I don't like having a plate of the front on the dually but it seems to get people the F out of the way.....lol

edit....One thing is they wanted visual inspections of all three....the 5th wheel, harley and truck. Didn't take long but the closest place was really busy and tight with all the hwy construction going on. Not a big problem just a little time consuming.

Riding the harley in TX on the freeways.....you better get on it!

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
No personal state income taxes. I don't own property there so no property taxes. Getting a DL wasn't easy...wanted original birth certificate, etc. Reg on the truck, harley and 5th wheel weren't bad. I don't like having a plate of the front on the dually but it seems to get people the F out of the way.....lol

Friends daughter moved to TX. Tried to get her DL swapped out to TX. Took her three tries with many hoops to jump through. Although I think part of it was her lack of detail that made it a little worse.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Friends daughter moved to TX. Tried to get her DL swapped out to TX. Took her three tries with many hoops to jump through. Although I think part of it was her lack of detail that made it a little worse.

Took me 4 trips....lol They wanted a w-2 but I don't have those. They wanted tax returns....I brought in copies which weren't good enough....they were pretty strict but once all that was square I was good. I felt the same way when I got my AZ DL after CA when I got my TX DL.....Fantastic :)

Taboma

Reaction score
It was an airline pilot "Thing" in the 90's, might still be, to purchase a condo in Texas, then rent it out, but use it to establish residence to avoid state taxes. Before that another pilot thing was owning Almond groves in Central Ca, apparently for the write-offs ?? But my pilot buddy did the Texas thing forever, despite living in North Carolina, just had the tenant forward any official mail.
One man's fraud is another man's loophole, depends if you're looking in or out 😁

traquer

Reaction score
Took me 4 trips....lol They wanted a w-2 but I don't have those. They wanted tax returns....I brought in copies which weren't good enough....they were pretty strict but once all that was square I was good. I felt the same way when I got my AZ DL after CA when I got my TX DL.....Fantastic :)
What did they want for the tax return? Something my CPA can provide? I can't wait to not pay state taxes..

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
What did they want for the tax return? Something my CPA can provide? I can't wait to not pay state taxes..

took my original tax returns. Can probably use a 1099 or of course a w-2.

it is just another proof of ID. They have a list of stuff they will accept on their website. I did attempt a walk up but ended up lucking out and getting an appt one day.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Nein Danke!

Every vehicle/boat we own has MT Registration, we technically live in three states, and have Hawaii DL's.

I see a lot of Texas tags when we are in WA and MT...no idea why.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It was an airline pilot "Thing" in the 90's, might still be, to purchase a condo in Texas, then rent it out, but use it to establish residence to avoid state taxes. Before that another pilot thing was owning Almond groves in Central Ca, apparently for the write-offs ?? But my pilot buddy did the Texas thing forever, despite living in North Carolina, just had the tenant forward any official mail.
One man's fraud is another man's loophole, depends if you're looking in or out 😁

just for the record mine is not fraud. It is my domicile and i stay there as well.

Taboma

Reaction score
just for the record mine is not fraud. It is my domicile and i stay there as well.

sorry, wasn't suggesting yours was. Talking about my pilot buddy and his fellow pilots that ran the Texas condo game because as pilots, there's no tax connection to the employer since they're based all over.
I was also referring to our tense experience with Arizona. My boat was registered in AZ when new, because we've owned a place there for 25 years (Didn't realize there was a resident and non-resident rate) --- but technically not our primary residence. So after about 10 years of paying our boat registration, one year we get a letter from AZ stating they're going to bring us up on FRAUD charges if we can't prove AZ as our primary residence, they wanted payroll records, state tax records, etc --- OR, we could simply start paying non-residence at quadruple rates and they'd forget our past sins --- obviously, we took that route. 🥵

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I can't say for the Phoenix area, but there are a lot of Texas plates here in Tucson and just about all of them are being driven by servicemen and women that are stationed at Davis Mothan, air national guard, or working for Raytheon or the like where transfers and short term details are common.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I can't say for the Phoenix area, but there are a lot of Texas plates here in Tucson and just about all of them are being driven by servicemen and women that are stationed at Davis Mothan, air national guard, or working for Raytheon or the like where transfers and short term details are common.

My company did work all around the states. We had guys all over the place with CA plates in NC FL AZ NV etc. We were based out of CA and that is why the CA plates. Long term jobs they drove out in the company vehicles. Short term we just rented veh where they were at. Had to have the appropriate business/contractors lic etc of course. That is probably what is happening. A lot of these companies are now located in TX but they still have work to do in other states.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
It's just interesting because there are 50 states currently and the only ones I see everywhere here are from 1 state.

shunter2005

Reaction score

edit....One thing is they wanted visual inspections of all three....the 5th wheel, harley and truck. Didn't take long but the closest place was really busy and tight with all the hwy construction going on. Not a big problem just a little time consuming.

I just renewed my wife's MB and the boat trailer. It cost more to register the boat trailer than her SUV. State of Texas has gotten a little greedy. It cost $78 just to license the trailer. I know, CA is a lot more, but ours used to be $5.30 for any trailer. When I bought my old boat from a guy in Michigan, I found their trailer plates are permanent. Think about $7-$8 to register and it's lifetime, never renew.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It's just interesting because there are 50 states currently and the only ones I see everywhere here are from 1 state.
DILLIGAF makes a good point. There have been a lot of really big companies relocate their headquarters to Texas these past few years. That very well may be a large part as to why we are seeing so many Texas plates now.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
DILLIGAF makes a good point. There have been a lot of really big companies relocate their headquarters to Texas these past few years. That very well may be a large part as to why we are seeing so many Texas plates now.

i would almost 100% guarantee that is what is happening

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Be a pain since you have to safety inspect your car every year to get your tags. Long drive to save couple hundred bucks

Your ad here

Reaction score
I notice it to in Az. Registration for my 19 year old F250 is a whopping $70 for 2 years or $56 for 1 year. The 19 year old F350 is still $220 a year with a GCWR of 15k. This is Az registration.

EBT531

Reaction score
Cheaper plates and to get around emissions most likely

shunter2005

Reaction score
Wife's vehicle cost $25.50 for inspection every year, includes emissions. I believe that is all gas engines car and truck. Diesel trucks (and probably diesel autos) are checked for safety only, no emissions. Cost is $15.50.

Like I stated earlier, my 30 ft Extreme trailer was $78 for license registration. Trailers are inspection free up to 7500 lb capacity. Over that they must be inspected every year to include lights and working brakes. However, most places don't really check the brakes.