WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Forth of July......

linus3

Reaction score
BANG.....POW.......POP.......Oh shit put the fireworks away, here comes Jeff. Whos rollin out for the 4TH....:thumbsup:drunk:champagne:

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
We'll be there the night of June 25th through July 6th.

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
It's not normally like this, but it's the kids first week of summer and the 4th of July is the following weekend so it just worked out that way.:champagne:

I'll be "working" while I'm there while the family spends the week playing.:party2:

linus3

Reaction score
I tried to run that word once, "working". Marko about shit himself. In his words, "shit kittens".......:D

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Working?......:champagne::drunk:champagne::drnkfr::lmao:bsflag:

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
Yeah, there's definitely some BS to it. But I have a phone line and wireless internet so I do typically work about two hours a day while I'm there...less if at all possible.

Stop by, I'll show you my office...

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
June 27-July 7.... Then rush home to work MLB ASG for 5 straight 12 hour days.

linus3

Reaction score
I hope you pulled rank and are assigned to the dugout........:thumbsup

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I hope you pulled rank and are assigned to the dugout........:thumbsup

I have not worked the dugout in 15 years. It is pretty cool watching the game with the pros from below field level! I am looking forward to working the new taps at Paradise more then BBall.

MattWolfy6

The General Lee
Reaction score
BANG.....POW.......POP.......Oh shit put the fireworks away, here comes Jeff. Whos rollin out for the 4TH....:thumbsup:drunk:champagne:

the family and i will be out there, probably mid week before the 4th and a day or two after. we getting another band for this holiday? :thumbsdown

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Wonder if Echo will be full? The new camper rate will be in effect. Echo is 68 a night now. River Lodge is 50. Add the 20 bucks to make the reservation and you are at 78 a night for the weekend!

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
The park was dead this past weekend...I cannot believe they raised that camping rates

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
We have some friends who are camping and when they made their reservation, they were told there were only two spots left. How true that is, I don't know.

The new rates are in affect for those who just recently made their reservations and those moving forward. My friends that are camping were very close to not coming because of the excessive rates. $69/nt is ridiculous for a camp site. Then they make them pay an additional $3 if they want to watch cable (they have kids). And then you can talk about how disgusting the public restrooms are...it goes on and on...

But that sure is a nice flat screen in the store...

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
That is way to much for camping...also the water at the park STUNK very very bad this weekend....worse than normal...I ran the water at my house to shower and could not stand the smell....

500bbc

Reaction score
That is way to much for camping...also the water at the park STUNK very very bad this weekend....worse than normal...I ran the water at my house to shower and could not stand the smell....

That's not the park, to quote Dr Losi "You need to reduce the sulfide creating bacteria in your water pipes". Especially the WH.

Disconnect the feed to the heater and pour a gallon of bleach in it, you'll need to drain it a little with the stopcock on the bottom. Then open every hot water line in the house including the DW and washing machine. Should be good for a couple of years. Repacing the sacrificila anode is supposed to help too but it's a pain in the ass.

linus3

Reaction score
Over Memorial (thurs), the water was turned off at the main pump. When it was turned back on, black smelly water with a ton of sediment (sp) came out of the well. I did not have a problem but others got it real bad inside thier homes. I have tried every which way possible when it comes to the water heater smell. If I dont drain it upon leaving and refill when we get up. OMG it is bad. Oh wait but the rent is going up........:thumbsdown:grumble:

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
i have never had a problem with smelly water at the house? I just put in a brand new water heater and now it smells?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I always drain my WH. You should too Chris. I also swapped out the anoid in mine. Years ago when I was a camper I always had to make my reservations a year ahead of time to get river front. Thanks to excessively high prices I guess that is not the case anymore.

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
I put in a new water heater in the Spring of 2009. It smelled again within a month. I have a softener, an inline filter and it still smells like rotten egges.

We run the water every time we get to the River for 30-45 minutes to help clean out the stank. There is so much crap in the water that I cannot even drain my NEW water heater from the hose bib on it because it's clogged.

I know some say they don't have much of a problem with the smell so they must have special pipes or something...either that or they like the smell of rotten eggs.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
This is the first time I have eer had this problem? would it be casued by the new water heater

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
Years ago when I was a camper I always had to make my reservations a year ahead of time to get river front. Thanks to excessively high prices I guess that is not the case anymore.

For holiday weekends I believe that will still be the case, but for every other weekend, I think there will always be waterfront available because of the high rates, reservation fee and crappy amenities.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
This is the first time I have eer had this problem? would it be casued by the new water heater

Echo's water is high in magnesium (I think that is what I was told). It attacks the anode at a much faster rate and coats your WH with gunk. It is better to remove the anode if you are going to leave the water in. Best just to drain it when you leave. W/O the anode your tank will not last as long as the water will attack it instead of the rod. So, you are back to its just best to drain. I have not had any smell problems for the past 3 or 4 years.

linus3

Reaction score
The only time I had an issue with smell is when I thought I could get away without draining because I was coming back in four days. What a mistake. My WH was put in early 2009. Trip before last luke warm water at best. Pulled the upper coil (electric WH) and it had very minor build up. Pulled the lower coil (primary) and it was eaten off. They are supposed to be 12 inches long new. This coil was only two inch nub and rotten. Could not believe it was eaten down to that in a year and a half. Davis Lumber $8.00 for a new coil. They keep extra stocked because the water is so bad at the river. :thumbsup

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
How can i get rid of the smell now? will draining the tank remove the smell? It was so bad i could not stay in the house. I had to shower outside.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
Tom mu new heater is also electric and was installed in Mid May and saturday the smell was bad?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
How can i get rid of the smell now? will draining the tank remove the smell? It was so bad i could not stay in the house. I had to shower outside.

We need to drain your tank this weekend and see if that will get rid of the sludge at the bottom. I have not tried the bleach trick but bring some up with you just in case we need it. We can also take the anode out.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
Ok really do not want to do the bleach thing. but will bring in case. I will drain it as soo as i get there. The water heater is only a month old and hopefully does not have too much crap in it.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Ok really do not want to do the bleach thing. but will bring in case. I will drain it as soo as i get there. The water heater is only a month old and hopefully does not have too much crap in it.

You could leave the water in if you hooked a sprinkler valve to it and had a go on daily to move the water around. Just much simpler to drain it every trip. You just need to make sure that you turn the heater off or you will fry the heating element. Is it Friday yet? Do you have room for me if I can figure out a way to go up early?

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
Yes we have room if you need a ride....i should just drain it..It is wierd with the old water heater I never drained it and no smell, now i have a new water heater and very bad smell

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Yes we have room if you need a ride....i should just drain it..It is wierd with the old water heater I never drained it and no smell, now i have a new water heater and very bad smell

Your old one was gas right?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Might have a lot to do with it as the two heating elements get attacked.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
anyone tried this:

This Won't Fix Stinky Water Forever, But It's a Start
Cheap, simple, effective, but not forever. Shut off the cold water valve to your water heater, open a hot faucet somewhere in your house to relieve pressure, drain some water from the tank, open the plumbing on one side, and dump in a few pints of hydrogen peroxide. Close everything up, turn on the cold water again, and let some water run from all spigots and taps. You should be odor-free until the next time you go out of town and allow the water heater to sit, unused. Then you'll have the problem again. For details on this procedure, go to Know-how.

By the way: use peroxide, not chlorine bleach. Either will work, but peroxide is much safer.

One caveat: if you have smelly water at one sink, but not all of them, dump the peroxide down the basin overflow, instead of into the water heater. Sometimes bacteria can build up in there, too

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
anyone tried this:

This Won't Fix Stinky Water Forever, But It's a Start
Cheap, simple, effective, but not forever. Shut off the cold water valve to your water heater, open a hot faucet somewhere in your house to relieve pressure, drain some water from the tank, open the plumbing on one side, and dump in a few pints of hydrogen peroxide. Close everything up, turn on the cold water again, and let some water run from all spigots and taps. You should be odor-free until the next time you go out of town and allow the water heater to sit, unused. Then you'll have the problem again. For details on this procedure, go to Know-how.

By the way: use peroxide, not chlorine bleach. Either will work, but peroxide is much safer.

One caveat: if you have smelly water at one sink, but not all of them, dump the peroxide down the basin overflow, instead of into the water heater. Sometimes bacteria can build up in there, too

My tank has the pressure relief valve on the top. This would be easy to do on mine. I wonder where yours is. Safer too as if you drink any you will get whiter teeth!

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
Over Memorial (thurs), the water was turned off at the main pump. When it was turned back on, black smelly water with a ton of sediment (sp) came out of the well. I did not have a problem but others got it real bad inside thier homes. I have tried every which way possible when it comes to the water heater smell. If I dont drain it upon leaving and refill when we get up. OMG it is bad. Oh wait but the rent is going up........:thumbsdown:grumble:

Oh great, I haven't been up since before mem day.
The bleach trick works well for the sulfer smell though, have you tried it?

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
We need to drain your tank this weekend and see if that will get rid of the sludge at the bottom. I have not tried the bleach trick but bring some up with you just in case we need it. We can also take the anode out.

Since we'll be there at the same time during the 4th, can you come help with mine too?

500bbc

Reaction score
http://www.water-research.net/sulfur.htm

"Sulfur-reducing bacteria, which use sulfur as an energy source, are the primary producers of large quantities of hydrogen sulfide. These bacteria chemically change natural sulfates in water to hydrogen sulfide. Sulfur-reducing bacteria live in oxygen-deficient environments such as deep wells, plumbing systems, water softeners and water heaters. These bacteria usually flourish on the hot water side of a water distribution system. "

Run the water until bleach smell goes away if you use bleach and you're good.

500bbc

Reaction score

"The magnesium corrosion control rod present in many hot water heaters can chemically reduce naturally occurring sulfates to hydrogen sulfide. "

Maybe this is it, check with the manufacturer and see if the anode they use is magnesium and if so is there another anode made of a different material.

500bbc

Reaction score
More.................

sacrificial anode's life depends on the quality of the water, the amount of use the tank gets, the water temperature, and the quality of the tank. When salt is added to the water (as in softened water), anodes corrode more quickly. Water softeners can help reduce sediment, but anodes can corrode in as little as six months if the water is over-softened. Do not soften to zero. Leave 50-120 ppm of hardness.

People occasionally ask us if pipe-seal tape applied to the threads of the anode blocks the electrolytical reaction. Tanks we've serviced repeatedly usually have corroded anodes. We've tested with a multimeter and found current flowing between the anode and the tank, despite the tape.

While we generally advocate putting two anodes in a tank, that may not be a good idea if you have odor problems. Doubling the anode surface area may worsen odor even when special aluminum/zinc anodes are used that reduce or eliminate the odor.

If you have odor and soften, or for that matter, merely if you soften, consider getting a powered anode that replaces the sacrificial reaction with electric current and isn't consumed through use.

If you contemplate adding an anode to a new tank, make sure both rods are of the same metal. Otherwise, the magnesium rod will be consumed more rapidly in the presence of an aluminum one and you won't get as long a life. How do you tell them apart? An aluminum hex head will be flat on top, while a magnesium rod will have a bump, as in the photo at right. The size of the bump may vary, but bump, magnesium; no bump, probably aluminum.

The exception to that is Rheem and its sub-brands, Ruud/Richmond/General Electric. As far as we know, Rheem always uses magnesium even though there is no bump on top of its anodes. On the other hand, if the tank is five years old or more, having dissimilar metals is less of an issue, since the original one will likely be largely consumed.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info...I am going to drain as soon as i get there and probably try the peroxide and see how that goes and then in the future drain it each time I leave. hopefully it works

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I did some research when I swapped my tank out Chris. I bought a special anode and put it in my tank. Not sure if that was the secret or just keeping the water out of the tank.

500bbc

Reaction score
I did some research when I swapped my tank out Chris. I bought a special anode and put it in my tank. Not sure if that was the secret or just keeping the water out of the tank.

"Special" anode?

OK, cough up the secret.:D

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I knew that was coming. It was a few years ago. I will have to poke around the net. Like Chris, I was look to the net for help and came across a website.

Removing Odors from a Hot Water Heater
Replace the magnesium anode. The magnesium anode is connected to a plug that is located on top of the water heater. Consult a water heater dealer about a replacement anode for your make and model of hot water heater.

Disinfect the water heater:

Turn off your water heater and close the cold water inlet valve.
Turn on a hot water faucet and the temperature and pressure valve. Allow 1 gallon for each 30 gallons of water heater capacity to drain out.
Add 1 gallon of household bleach per each 30 gallons of your tank's capacity. Fill the tank will water by opening the cold water inlet.
Allow the bleach to sit in the water heater for 1 hour. After the allotted time, open the cold water valve and all the hot water faucets to allow the bleach-water mixture to clean the pipes.
Drain the remaining contents of the water heater through its drain valve.
Close the drain valve and fill the tank with water. Allow the water to sit for 15 minutes and then purge the hot water supply lines and drain the tank. Be sure to purge all the air from the lines.
After the system has been cleaned and purged, turn on the water heater.
Increase the temperature on your water heater to 160 degrees. Allow the heater to stay at the increase temperature for a few hours to kill the sulfur bacteria. After a few hours have passed, flush the system to remove the dead bacteria.

Read more at Suite101: Get Rid of Sulfur Smell in Water: Removing the Rotten Egg Smell from your Hot Water Heater http://homemanagement.suite101.com/article.cfm/get-rid-of-sulfur-smell-in-water#ixzz0qs9mF9ca

Third step you should replace the aluminum anode rod with a magnesium anode rod cost is $20.00 to $30.00, which will not produce that terrible odder that aluminum one does. Some people remove the aluminum anode rod without replacing it. This is a bad idea and will accelerate the corrosion to your tank.

Read more: How to Eliminate the rotten egg smell from your water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4819522_eliminate-rotten-egg-smell-water.html#ixzz0qsA9JI72

Last edited: