WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Forth of July......

500bbc

Reaction score
I knew that was coming. It was a few years ago. I will have to poke around the net. Like Chris, I was look to the net for help and came across a website.

Removing Odors from a Hot Water Heater
Replace the magnesium anode. The magnesium anode is connected to a plug that is located on top of the water heater. Consult a water heater dealer about a replacement anode for your make and model of hot water heater.

Disinfect the water heater:

Turn off your water heater and close the cold water inlet valve.
Turn on a hot water faucet and the temperature and pressure valve. Allow 1 gallon for each 30 gallons of water heater capacity to drain out.
Add 1 gallon of household bleach per each 30 gallons of your tank's capacity. Fill the tank will water by opening the cold water inlet.
Allow the bleach to sit in the water heater for 1 hour. After the allotted time, open the cold water valve and all the hot water faucets to allow the bleach-water mixture to clean the pipes.
Drain the remaining contents of the water heater through its drain valve.
Close the drain valve and fill the tank with water. Allow the water to sit for 15 minutes and then purge the hot water supply lines and drain the tank. Be sure to purge all the air from the lines.
After the system has been cleaned and purged, turn on the water heater.
Increase the temperature on your water heater to 160 degrees. Allow the heater to stay at the increase temperature for a few hours to kill the sulfur bacteria. After a few hours have passed, flush the system to remove the dead bacteria.

Read more at Suite101: Get Rid of Sulfur Smell in Water: Removing the Rotten Egg Smell from your Hot Water Heater http://homemanagement.suite101.com/article.cfm/get-rid-of-sulfur-smell-in-water#ixzz0qs9mF9ca

Third step you should replace the aluminum anode rod with a magnesium anode rod cost is $20.00 to $30.00, which will not produce that terrible odder that aluminum one does. Some people remove the aluminum anode rod without replacing it. This is a bad idea and will accelerate the corrosion to your tank.

Read more: How to Eliminate the rotten egg smell from your water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4819522_eliminate-rotten-egg-smell-water.html#ixzz0qsA9JI72

Cpoy, print, keep at river house.:D

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I think I put the zinc-alloy one in!

Heck.... Lots of advice out there!

Possible Repairs

Flush water heater
Using a hydrogen peroxide solution of 2 pints 3% peroxide to 40 gallons of water, treat tank and run some of the solution into water lines.
Let peroxide solution set in tank and pipes for 2 hours. Solution is not toxic and requires no rinsing.
If problem persists, replace anode with a zinc-alloy anode.
If problem still remains, replace water heater with a plastic lined tank type.

500bbc

Reaction score
I think I put the zinc-alloy one in!

Heck.... Lots of advice out there!

Possible Repairs

Flush water heater
Using a hydrogen peroxide solution of 2 pints 3% peroxide to 40 gallons of water, treat tank and run some of the solution into water lines.
Let peroxide solution set in tank and pipes for 2 hours. Solution is not toxic and requires no rinsing.
If problem persists, replace anode with a zinc-alloy anode.
If problem still remains, replace water heater with a plastic lined tank type.

Well now that we have that problem solved what's next?

Can we fix the ramp?

Maybe we should start this thread over again on the main board and share our solutions?:thumbsup:D

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
I think i will drain and try the peroxide trick. It just seems odd to gotten that bad so quick....the bathroom at club paradise had the same smell

500bbc

Reaction score
I think i will drain and try the peroxide trick. It just seems odd to gotten that bad so quick....the bathroom at club paradise had the same smell

Check and see if it has the magnesium anode the literature says that's an instant stench.

linus3

Reaction score
Chris, before you drop 50 gal. of death in the water heater. I got away with draining it and then hooking the hose to the pressure valve. Ace has the adapter for this (.50 cents). Two different kind of threads on this adapter to fit a garden hose. Close the the bottom drain valve and turn on the water. I let the water flush out through the pressure valve for about 15 min. It worked for me and have not had smell since. Frabreeze and a candle took care of that lingering smell in the house.......good luck.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Chris, before you drop 50 gal. of death in the water heater. I got away with draining it and then hooking the hose to the pressure valve. Ace has the adapter for this (.50 cents). Two different kind of threads on this adapter to fit a garden hose. Close the the bottom drain valve and turn on the water. I let the water flush out through the pressure valve for about 15 min. It worked for me and have not had smell since. Frabreeze and a candle took care of that lingering smell in the house.......good luck.

Peroxide is almost healthy! Chlorine not so much!

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Going home to SoCal for some much needed waves :thumbsup:thumbsup hope there's a swell hitting then :hmm

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
I am going to drain and flush first and see if that works since the WH is brand new...

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Didnt read every post so it may have been said already but I went through all this smelly water stuff when I bought my place . Google smelly hot water heaters and read. Its the anode that does it. I put a big check valve on my water heater and drain it every time I leave, takes about 10 minutes, and dont have the problem anymore at all.

Chris231g

SPUN skateboards
Reaction score
BTW the i drained and flush the water heater 3 times and the smell is gone. I also drained it before i left...thanks for all the information on this.

500bbc

Reaction score
BTW the i drained and flush the water heater 3 times and the smell is gone. I also drained it before i left...thanks for all the information on this.

Great!

So now who knows how to keep my washer from turning all of our whites orange? Just started.:grumble:

BTW if you somehow leave your dryer running without the gas on for thirty days it makes a lint ball as big as a basketball.:grumble:

linus3

Reaction score
There is this stuff called red out or io-out. They sell it at safeway in town. Ask them, its pretty popular at the river. :thumbsup

500bbc

Reaction score
There is this stuff called red out or io-out. They sell it at safeway in town. Ask them, its pretty popular at the river. :thumbsup

Thanks!

Yeah, when I got my elec bill I thought I left the AC on.:D

MattWolfy6

The General Lee
Reaction score
Brian, Eric...how about an update?...weather report says its pretty damn hot?