WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Found out my boat was converted...

MrHooly

Reaction score
I am the 3rd owner of a 2003 Lavey NuEra 26 MCOB. I accidentally found photos of it on Lavey's website under sold boats. The previous owner never mentioned to me that it started life as a closed bow. How concerned should I be? Thus far the boat has given me no problems and it's been great, but should I be worried about something major down the road?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I am the 3rd owner of a 2003 Lavey NuEra 26 MCOB. I accidentally found photos of it on Lavey's website under sold boats. The previous owner never mentioned to me that it started life as a closed bow. How concerned should I be? Thus far the boat has given me no problems and it's been great, but should I be worried about something major down the road?

They all start as a closed bow and get cut open for an open bow. The only time it would be in question is if it was a closed bow and converted from a closed bow to a walk through open bow. You have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Like was already said nothing to worry about, even better if Lavey did the work.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
See if Lavey boats did the conversion. If so there should no issue at all.

nowski

Reaction score
First-off this thread is useless without the pics.

Even if Lavey didn't do the work there are reputable builders out there that will do a quality job.

After the said conversion / sex change I'd be more concerned with the voice. If your boat has a deep voice your good to go. If your boat has a squeaky voice I'd be concerned...

lavey jr

Reaction score

Structurally you have pretty much nothing to worry about. I say “pretty much” because I’m not sure who did the job and I’m not sure if Lavey did it.

Most reputable interior places are more than capable of doing a good job on the conversion. The only area to be somewhat concerned about is the area directly behind the open bow seating. Stand on top of the boat on the fiberglass right behind the open bow interior, give it a little jump to see the amount of flex there is. If you immediately start to see too much flex then I’d be a little concerned, if you see a tiny bit of flex there’s nothing at all to be alarmed of, if there’s no flex at all then you’re golden. All other areas of the boat will be good to go.

nowski

Reaction score
Structurally you have pretty much nothing to worry about. I say “pretty much” because I’m not sure who did the job and I’m not sure if Lavey did it.

Most reputable interior places are more than capable of doing a good job on the conversion. The only area to be somewhat concerned about is the area directly behind the open bow seating. Stand on top of the boat on the fiberglass right behind the open bow interior, give it a little jump to see the amount of flex there is. If you immediately start to see too much flex then I’d be a little concerned, if you see a tiny bit of flex there’s nothing at all to be alarmed of, if there’s no flex at all then you’re golden. All other areas of the boat will be good to go.

Lavey Jr. aka Chris??? If so It was a pleasure talking with you at the LA boat show...

MrHooly

Reaction score
Here's the before.
LAKELAND.jpg
FRONT.jpg
cindy+lavey.jpg

MrHooly

Reaction score
And here's now.
20191013_155416.jpg
20191013_155141.jpg
received_606563379857405.jpeg
received_441876546584953.jpeg

I did always find it odd that it didn't have bow rails or any kind of grab handles, nor does it have a sliding door at the front of the cuddy like the rear does.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Lavey Jr. aka Chris??? If so It was a pleasure talking with you at the LA boat show...

That's me, Lavey Jr. Chris Jr.
Nice talking to as well, I remember you showing me pictures of the bot when we were talking.

sintax

Reaction score
hmmm so you're telling me your boat is just transgender now? Started out as X but now its a Y! You should try to be more progressive these days sir, its not fair to try to put someone or something into your narrow view :D:p

All joking aside, if the work was done right, I would not have any concerns. Its safe to assume it was done right if it was done at the factory. Major concerns would just be bracing of the deck I think. If you dont see any stress cracks forming I think you're fine. Just enjoy it and try not to think of your boat as a tranny, its just simply found who it was all along

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'll just take a guess and say it looks like a factory job to me.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
All boats start life as closed bow. I have closed up some open bows as well. Its not big deal if done right, and the Lavey logos makes me think they did it. Also, on a crawl through you dont have the structure issues as you would on a walk through, all they are doing is cutting a hole and putting seats in, doing a walk through is a more complicated hull flex matter of not done correctly.

nowski

Reaction score

nowski

Reaction score
That's me, Lavey Jr. Chris Jr.
Nice talking to as well, I remember you showing me pictures of the bot when we were talking.

Not my boat but that thing is sweet.

You know a buddy of mine Marc B. and again Thank You for Your Service!!!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

And if you fall through it, then you have a big problem.

dribble

Reaction score
All boats start life as closed bow. I have closed up some open bows as well. Its not big deal if done right, and the Lavey logos makes me think they did it. Also, on a crawl through you dont have the structure issues as you would on a walk through, all they are doing is cutting a hole and putting seats in, doing a walk through is a more complicated hull flex matter of not done correctly.

Not all do. There are mfgrs with both open and closed bow molds (Howard). Or open bow molds only.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
My vector was cut into an open bow - before me - by West Coast Marine Interiors

Attachments

• 20150712_113254.jpg
    20150712_113254.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 54