WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F'r cut my catalytic converter off my V-10 Excursion

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Hey gang up here in Norcal there's an increase in stolen CATS!!!!! F'r got mine Cameras showed him roll up next to my rig - his door opened and in less than 3 minutes F'r jumps back into his black SUV as my Excursion alarm triggers. CLEAN cut but no one around here has replacements for these that are Cali approved Any recommendations on a ne CAT?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Hey gang up here in Norcal there's an increase in stolen CATS!!!!! F'r got mine Cameras showed him roll up next to my rig - his door opened and in less than 3 minutes F'r jumps back into his black SUV as my Excursion alarm triggers. CLEAN cut but no one around here has replacements for these that are Cali approved Any recommendations on a ne CAT?
...No cat info but I could recomenned a shotgun..:📣

FCT

Reaction score
Get a P.O. Box on a Indian reservation and register your vehicles with that address and exempt from smog......I have a couple friends that have been doing it for years. personally I have not done this but I know it works for them.

bocco

Reaction score
Looks like RockAuto has them. Need to be C.A.R.B. compliant

brownsuger

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had his cut off as well.... not an Excursion but still.... Had it parked in his mother in laws driveway for a few days and when he came to get it... the cat had been cut out. And this is in a small town in southern Illinois.... :oops:

westair

Reaction score
Same happened to my uncles Excursion up in LA about a month ago

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
they got all of Apollo rv rentals,... we do one a day some days we can get 2..problem is they cut the o 2's and they are all different,.. so we have to order the O-2'S ,.. they don't check the numbers till they see it's been replaced...huge fine for the shop, so most won't do it..scrap prices are through the roof right now..what they need is to make the scrapers have the VIN the cat came off to sell it..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
did you check auto zone???auto zone has the best price on magnaflo

mobldj

Reaction score
curious.why.is there gold in them

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
curious.why.is there gold in them

Because catalytic converters contain three different Platinum Group Metals – platinum, palladium, and rhodium – they can be very valuable. On average, there are between 3-7 grams of platinum in a standard catalytic converter, but the amount varies based on manufacturer and model.

MagicMan

Reaction score

I got mine stolen at work back in December. My bro took me to a muffler shop in San Bernardino cost me $350-450 installed cant remember exactly; Carb compliant registered it in front of me. One thing to note, I didn't want to go through my insurance as I didn't think it would be more than $500 deductible. Fast forward had to take my truck in to body shop old insurance claim. I told the bodyshop about my muffler ordeal, he asked why I didn't go through insurance. He then showed me the cost of ford CAT, over $2K could've pocketed the cash and replaced at same shop.

Muffler Shop Brian mufflers 450 N Waterman Ave Ste F San Bernardino Ca 92410 909-884-3617

Reactions: C-2

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
This makes me want to bolt in some sort of a bracket or guard so the thieves can't get to it so easily...

Flynryan

Reaction score
What is a used cat worth? Isnt there a racket being made when these things are being cut off?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
What is a used cat worth? Isnt there a racket being made when these things are being cut off?
Few years back I yanked the old cats off my Tahoe I think I got around $40ish each back then

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
This makes me want to bolt in some sort of a bracket or guard so the thieves can't get to it so easily...
Had mine stolen in Feb 😡 This is how it looks now hopefully it helps 👍

Attachments

• 3D0C3B9C-726E-48B0-829A-9C2560427939.jpeg
    3D0C3B9C-726E-48B0-829A-9C2560427939.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 239

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Wise idea. I have a skid plate on my Tundra to protect the catalytic converters. It was made by OR-FAB in Chino Valley, AZ. Apparently, they were tasked with creating a skid plate to protect the catalytic converters after hundreds were stolen from car dealers in the Prescott Valley and Phoenix area.

My son-in-law used to work there and got me a killer deal on the skid plate.

Had mine stolen in Feb 😡 This is how it looks now hopefully it helps 👍

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Had mine stolen in Feb [emoji35] This is how it looks now hopefully it helps [emoji106]

You need something much more time consuming to prevent the theft. Those little straps won’t even add 30 seconds.

IMG_0160.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If that’s the converter that looks like a torpedo, they’re NLA...I went through this with a V10 box van that got hit at work.

I called the BAR/CARB and got a part number of a smaller one that was legal but would likely melt in a heavier application...luckily, one of the Mexicans (probably the guy that stole it) found a used one from a buddy.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL my truck had 1 to many so I had the exhaust shop cut it off(3) to be ca compliant. How much is it worth? And where do I take it? It’s sitting in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
My guess is that the muffler shop guys are stealing them so they can re-sell them back you

we could only wish it was something that smart. Unfortunately they’re recycling them for like $25.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Well a local shop got my parts ordered including O2 its $860 for the parts and $100-$150 to install Word is street value is about 30 - 40 bucks and in California any recycler is SUPPOSED to only accept parts from licensed shops I'd run this thing as it sits w/o cat but without 'Rollin Coal' like in my ol diesel days it's a little embarrassing LOL! Besides I setting off car alarms as I roll down the street 😂

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Well a local shop got my parts ordered including O2 its $860 for the parts and $100-$150 to install Word is street value is about 30 - 40 bucks and in California any recycler is SUPPOSED to only accept parts from licensed shops I'd run this thing as it sits w/o cat but without 'Rollin Coal' like in my ol diesel days it's a little embarrassing LOL! Besides I setting off car alarms as I roll down the street 😂

The theives are selling them to shop owners, who turn them in to the scrap yards.