WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Frame extension, tongue weight anxiety.... fixed

3.Slow

Reaction score
My 35' Fleetwood Class A has some pretty substantial frame extensions, while they look pretty stout to start with, I have seen too many rigs that look like the back half was about to break off. I did not want that in the back of my mind every time I hooked up the trailer, with a 500 pound tongue weight limit, I needed something to support the extra weight from the 20' enclosed with a front bathroom. On top of that, I need to run a 10" drop hitch and the stress from staring and stopping a 7k lb trailer, I was worried about twisting my receiver up like a pretzel. Looking at a buddies tiffin, they put supports up toward the frame extension from near the axle, I took it a little further and went up to the receiver and the hitch. welded up this sub frame that bolts up to the frame at my rear jacks, goes forward to the rear axle and back to the receiver. Additionally, I added a wishbone that ties to the 10' drop hitch to relieve some of the stress on the receiver.
20201227_131909.jpg

20201227_142600.jpg

20201227_144207.jpg

20201227_152515.jpg

20201120_094350.jpg

I am not an engineer by any means, so it is not engineered to withstand a given amount of stress, but it is enough to put my mind at ease.

240Hallett

Reaction score
So it’s a stress reliever for your hitch and for your mind. That’s a winner!

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Very cool! Make me one! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
How does it tow? Noticeable difference in stability? 2Forcefull did this awhile ago to one of his rigs.

3.Slow

Reaction score
How does it tow? Noticeable difference in stability? 2Forcefull did this awhile ago to one of his rigs.

I did it before I ever towed the enclosed trailer, it does take all the slop out of the hitch so that is nice. The receiver on these frames is soo damn high, everyone I see has to use a pretty substantial drop hitch.

3.Slow

Reaction score
Very cool! Make me one! Haha

If you happen to have the same frame i can certainly give you the dimensions to make it, I was able to make it from scratch in a day.

3.Slow

Reaction score
What is the u-bolt on top of the hitch all about?
It is soposed to minimize slop between the hitch and receiver, a buddy of mine had an extra one so I figured it couldn't hurt, not really necessary with the other modifications I've done but I still use it.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It is soposed to minimize slop between the hitch and receiver, a buddy of mine had an extra one so I figured it couldn't hurt, not really necessary with the other modifications I've done but I still use it.
I can see it now, wasn’t catching that it was on both pieces before. May want to flip it, as men we always go the shortest route possible, and that definitely includes hopping that hitch vs going around the trailer, and that could really make a bad day with those bolts facing up like that.
Would be real interesting to remove it at the fuel break then put back on at next stop just to see if you actually can feel any difference.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

2FF does this to every rv he gets before towing the enclosed trailer...I also "Z" the trailer tounge so the ez lift hitch doesn't drag every where....
fleetwood does a decent with their extensions , but quiet a few just butt weld the frame pieces together , I also weld a heavywall square tube to the top of the hitch that ties to the first cross member by the gas tank,... I like the tri pod, eliminates any flex on the drop hitch...

3.Slow

Reaction score
2FF does this to every rv he gets before towing the enclosed trailer...I also "Z" the trailer tounge so the ez lift hitch doesn't drag every where....
fleetwood does a decent with their extensions , but quiet a few just butt weld the frame pieces together , I also weld a heavywall square tube to the top of the hitch that ties to the first cross member by the gas tank,... I like the tri pod, eliminates any flex on the drop hitch...
I contemplated modifying the trailer tongue so I dont have to run a 10" drop, but I would have to do the boat trailer also, and it would make it more complicated towing either trailer behind my other vehicles. The receiver on these rigs are soo damn high, I dont scrape on much.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Both my car and enclosed trailers sport these. Or some variation
4BEDEE26-0229-4A99-8CDE-7F1A7773D8BD.png

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I contemplated modifying the trailer tongue so I dont have to run a 10" drop, but I would have to do the boat trailer also, and it would make it more complicated towing either trailer behind my other vehicles. The receiver on these rigs are soo damn high, I dont scrape on much.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I Z mod the cargo trailers because they put the tounge under the floor of the trailer making the hitch ball about 4 or 5'' lower than a boat trailer, then by the rime you add an E Z lift it puts it too close to the ground.... I don't use the E Z lift on the boat trailers, so I need a differant drop size anyways...

c_land

Reaction score
My 35' Fleetwood Class A has some pretty substantial frame extensions, while they look pretty stout to start with, I have seen too many rigs that look like the back half was about to break off. I did not want that in the back of my mind every time I hooked up the trailer, with a 500 pound tongue weight limit, I needed something to support the extra weight from the 20' enclosed with a front bathroom. On top of that, I need to run a 10" drop hitch and the stress from staring and stopping a 7k lb trailer, I was worried about twisting my receiver up like a pretzel. Looking at a buddies tiffin, they put supports up toward the frame extension from near the axle, I took it a little further and went up to the receiver and the hitch. welded up this sub frame that bolts up to the frame at my rear jacks, goes forward to the rear axle and back to the receiver. Additionally, I added a wishbone that ties to the 10' drop hitch to relieve some of the stress on the receiver.
View attachment 955995
View attachment 955996
View attachment 955997
View attachment 955998

View attachment 955999
I am not an engineer by any means, so it is not engineered to withstand a given amount of stress, but it is enough to put my mind at ease.

Not sure if OP is still around.

I just did something like this on mine after installing an weldtec lift and I’m not sure if I like it how it’s done.

Anyone else have something similar with pics or advice?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
There are those who buy solutions and those who create them, well done!