WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fraud I think

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I think some one on hear tried to sell me a bogus engine. I was sent a private message with a guys email say to contact him he might have the kind of outboard I was looking to buy. The guy who sent me the message had been a member for many years but hadn't really posted anything so I thought that was kinda weird but decided to feel it out anyways. I send the email asking about the motor he sends me some details saying it's in good shape low hour owned it for about 6 months and he will take 2400 through bank wire transfer. Fishy. Then I look at the pictures he sent. They are the same exact pictures from a post on here of a guy selling an out board a few weeks ago. So I went be making any wire transfer to "Bob" in Alabama or where ever.

sintax

Reaction score
yea, thats not uncommon.

People hack accounts on these types of boards, and then impersonate them for sales like this. Bad part about a wire transfer there really is no recourse. They likely are not even in the US.

Maybe Dave can provide you the IP the connected from? IF they are a scammer there is likely 0% chance they used their "real ip" though.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Did he take it out and run it with his wife and kids one last time? Does he own wolfs? Is he moving to Havasu? All questions you have to ask now.o_O

I'll give you the answers later.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think some one on hear tried to sell me a bogus engine. I was sent a private message with a guys email say to contact him he might have the kind of outboard I was looking to buy. The guy who sent me the message had been a member for many years but hadn't really posted anything so I thought that was kinda weird but decided to feel it out anyways. I send the email asking about the motor he sends me some details saying it's in good shape low hour owned it for about 6 months and he will take 2400 through bank wire transfer. Fishy. Then I look at the pictures he sent. They are the same exact pictures from a post on here of a guy selling an out board a few weeks ago. So I went be making any wire transfer to "Bob" in Alabama or where ever.

Please message me the account name!

First I have ever heard of anything like this on here

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
What are you looking for and where are you located?

hawgty55

Reaction score
I just had a similar experience with a member on here aswell.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Also what is your social and drivers license number.......:)
Might as well include an email and bank account number while at it. The passwords would be nice too!

But seriously, I come across a few outboards and can keep an eye out if it would help. Has the OP even come back by this thread yet?

sirbob

Reaction score
Just to be clear - I'm not Bob in Alabama. Nor am I selling anything.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I sent riverdave a message with the persons screen name. I was wrong about the guy being a member for a while I must have looked at the date wrong. I was looking for a 2.5 liter merc 200 with efi.