WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Free GM 3500 Power Steering Gear Box and Misc Steering Components

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I upgraded my truck (2005 Chevy 3500 HD Dually) with new Kryptonite Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and Tie Rods. I also put a new steering box on the truck. I had no shimmy or problems with the old stuff, just wanted to upgrade. There was no play at all in the Tie Rods, Pitman Arm or Idler Arm. The power steering gear box had a small amount of play in the lower bushing. It did not leak at all and the play was not noticeable while driving. I hate to throw good stuff away and thought maybe someone could use it.

I am located in Lake Havasu City and would like to be rid of it soon.
20210206_232306.jpg
20210206_232515.jpg

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'll take it if we can find it a ride it Long Beach....I've been looking for a core steering box to figure out how to fix the sloppy sector shaft issues before I rebuild mine.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
It is yours if you want it. It really doesn't need to be rebuilt. Let me know if you find a ride.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I'll take it if we can find it a ride it Long Beach....I've been looking for a core steering box to figure out how to fix the sloppy sector shaft issues before I rebuild mine.
Lee power steering for a rebuild. Not cheap, but the reviews of all the other remans are all over the place. I just had them rebuild my box and the added an extra bearing to beef it up to handle larger tires. I’ve one read good reviews on Lee’s work.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Lee power steering for a rebuild. Not cheap, but the reviews of all the other remans are all over the place. I just had them rebuild my box and the added an extra bearing to beef it up to handle larger tires. I’ve one read good reviews on Lee’s work.

thats kinda what ive been hearing... dont replace the stock units just rebuild them. new/remans are poop and the oem's are worth rebuilding.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
If you look at the shipping box in the picture I posted it is from a brand new steering box from PSC. They use a bearing instead of a bushing on the lower shaft. It has worked fantastic so far. I looked into rebuilt units and it seemed to be hit or miss, that is why I went with a new one instead of rebuilt. If you have bigger tires it will last longer than a stock box.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
thats kinda what ive been hearing... dont replace the stock units just rebuild them. new/remans are poop and the oem's are worth rebuilding.

Remans are OEM...just "rebuilt" on a production line. As you know, I've been in the brake caliper rebuilding business for 18 years (might start out on my own here soon) and I won't use a commercially available "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" caliper. I know several folks in the steering gear rebuilding business as well. Most of the time, a "rebuild" consists of tearing it apart, cleaning everything (blasting the perfectly good factory paint off of it and leaving it raw cast iron so it rusts up good in few weeks of use) then putting it back together with a new seal and bearing kit, pressure or vacuum checking for leaks, and then it's done.

Unless a specific problem is glaringly obvious, all units get treated the same. GM steering boxes have a lot of slop in the sector shaft...and I'm not sure why. I do know that the guys who charge $350-500 solve that problem while the guys that charge $200 do not. I'm hoping to figure out what that problem is and try to solve it without spending a bunch of money...and if I can, maybe I'll add steering gears to the list of products at the new shop.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I need to check and see if that gearbox will fit my truck..
Is this steering box still up for grabs?
I have a 2009 gmc 3500 that just started leaking and thought maybe I could grab this one and rebuild and reseal it and then do quick exchange on the truck rather than have to do the whole project at one time. I can pick it up this Friday in Havasu if it is available.
I would even be willing to ship my take off to someone for a core if they wanted it after I'm done.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
Remans are OEM...just "rebuilt" on a production line. As you know, I've been in the brake caliper rebuilding business for 18 years (might start out on my own here soon) and I won't use a commercially available "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" caliper. I know several folks in the steering gear rebuilding business as well. Most of the time, a "rebuild" consists of tearing it apart, cleaning everything (blasting the perfectly good factory paint off of it and leaving it raw cast iron so it rusts up good in few weeks of use) then putting it back together with a new seal and bearing kit, pressure or vacuum checking for leaks, and then it's done.

Unless a specific problem is glaringly obvious, all units get treated the same. GM steering boxes have a lot of slop in the sector shaft...and I'm not sure why. I do know that the guys who charge $350-500 solve that problem while the guys that charge $200 do not. I'm hoping to figure out what that problem is and try to solve it without spending a bunch of money...and if I can, maybe I'll add steering gears to the list of products at the new shop.

It looks like the stock sector shaft is undersize for for hd use. The PSC steering box uses a bigger shaft according to their web site. Here is the link.

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/psc-sg039.html

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I need to check and see if that gearbox will fit my truck..
Is this steering box still up for grabs?
I have a 2009 gmc 3500 that just started leaking and thought maybe I could grab this one and rebuild and reseal it and then do quick exchange on the truck rather than have to do the whole project at one time. I can pick it up this Friday in Havasu if it is available.
I would even be willing to ship my take off to someone for a core if they wanted it after I'm done.

It doesn't look like it will fit your truck. It looks like 1999 to 2007 1/2.