WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Freeways in OC/LA/IE/SD?

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Friday Rant, I suppose....

Is anyone else sick & tired of just driving to & from work? My goodness, 5:30am & I almost got run over 3-4 times for going 68mph in the slow lane & headlights/taillights for miles... No one sleeps out here, I guess? And does anyone use their damn turn signals anymore?[emoji35]

Idk, but I'm finding it harder & harder to motivate myself to drive anywhere out here, anymore.

How many more years do you guys think you can deal with this traffic mess?[emoji848]

Good Friday everyone![emoji1303]

Tom Slick

Reaction score

Is anyone else sick & tired of just driving to & from work? My goodness, 5:30am & I almost got run over 3-4 times for going 68mph in the slow lane & headlights/taillights for miles... No one sleeps out here, I guess? And does anyone use their damn turn signals anymore?[emoji35]

Idk, but I'm finding it harder & harder to motivate myself to drive anywhere out here, anymore.

How many more years do you guys think you can deal with this traffic mess?[emoji848]

One of the many reasons I'm getting out of SoCal.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
No shit.....I could actually have an opportunity to do it...but just can't seem to pull the trigger for some good reasons. :D
Pokey is right.......People are just morons around here anymore. I have just kinda learned to tune it out. I am so glad I don't commute anymore.

I feel like the moment I cross Vidal Junction my entire demeanor changes and I don't hate people any longer. Something about that Arizona air or something...........Shit I need to get out of this state.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Seriously if I could go back 15yrs I would've either done that, or would've likely pursued a career with the CHP, so I could've worked out of Needles & lived in either BHC or LHC.

Dude....you still ain't too old to do the CHP thing. No wife or kids to have to impact to make a change. Should be a no brainer. If you ain't happy...make a change while you can. Don't live saying what if.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Seriously if I could go back 15yrs I would've either done that, or would've likely pursued a career with the CHP, so I could've worked out of Needles & lived in either BHC or LHC. I'll I know is I dread driving anywhere out here, these days.... I think about making changes daily, but sure, fear plays a major roll....

Dude you are single the only thing holding you back is fear . Pull the trigger on moving start looking for a way to make living in lhc

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Pokey is right.......People are just morons around here anymore. I have just kinda learned to tune it out. I am so glad I don't commute anymore.

I feel like the moment I cross Vidal Junction my entire demeanor changes and I don't hate people any longer. Something about that Arizona air or something...........Shit I need to get out of this state.

OC is the worst. I work in and around Irvine, Newport, etc. Daily. The all about me attitude lives hard down there.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
OC is the worst. I work in and around Irvine, Newport, etc. Daily. The all about me attitude lives hard down there.
Dude I know, lived in Costa Mesa for almost 10 years. If you drive a BMW or Mercedes, none of the rules apply to you and your the only one on the road.

I have noticed that some of the biggest asshole drivers are younger woman.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Traffic is just getting worse and worse. I'd love to leave this state if I could only find a job in my line of work somewhere else.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I live 8 miles from work and it takes me 45 min to get to work. This is not taking the freeway. The worst drivers are old Mexican men and women in piece of shit cars

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I don't see that happening this year or the next. You get the idea...... Miracles do happen, I suppose? But at the rate I'm going, not likely with my boring, lonely life....

Then buy yourself an Explorer already :)

Or at least something you like to drive.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Yes I agree with all your points. I've commuted in So Cal a minimum of 45 miles for 33 years.
When I commuted to the SFV weekly I'd take a lot of freeways to get to work. :eek
15N
91W
71N
55N
210W
134W
101N
I left 3 hours ahead of time on my first day and was still an hour late :skull
No time for sleep.

My current commute from the back woods of Temheckula to Poway is now taking 1.5 -2 hours to get home on Fridays.
Used to be 50 minutes back in the good old days :grumble:

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Nope! Traffic is part of life around here. I accepted a long time ago. Ive mastered timing, shortcuts, you name it. At work im on the freeways all day! I see idiocy that is beyond! I just laugh at it anymore. I charge by the hour and get paid by the hour. This work mentality bleed into my personal life years ago. My blood pressure is down and ill get there when i get there. If im going to a time sensative place ill leave earlier.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Yes I agree with all your points. I've commuted in So Cal a minimum of 45 miles for 33 years.
When I commuted to the SFV weekly I'd take a lot of freeways to get to work. :eek
15N
91W
71N
55N
210W
134W
101N
I left 3 hours ahead of time on my first day and was still an hour late :skull
No time for sleep.

My current commute from the back woods of Temheckula to Poway is now taking 1.5 -2 hours to get home on Fridays.
Used to be 50 minutes back in the good old days :grumble:

Look how Temecula has exploded the last 15 years. I can't imagine those commutes from the I.E. to SD or OC on a daily basis.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Nope! Traffic is part of life around here. I accepted a long time ago. Ive mastered timing, shortcuts, you name it. At work im on the freeways all day! I see idiocy that is beyond! I just laugh at it anymore. I charge by the hour and get paid by the hour. This work mentality bleed into my personal life years ago. My blood pressure is down and ill get there when i get there. If im going to a time sensative place ill leave earlier.

That is it I get paid the same working on something or driving, so I really don't care how it is out there. Though I will be done with it next year at this time.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Look how Temecula has exploded the last 15 years. I can't imagine those commutes from the I.E. to SD or OC on a daily basis.

Its crazy. Driven by the less expensive homes in Riverside county vs SD/OC
I've lived here since '92.

I'm only here for a few more years luckily for me.

McRib

Reaction score
I also live 3 miles from work on streets. Only thing i gotta worry about is a fucked up signal light. :skull

McRib

Reaction score

Temecula. You mean off base housing? Lol

Backlash

Reaction score
I used to commute 62 miles.....one way. It sucked but I found ways to stay entertained.

Now I have to suffer through one traffic signal light and four stop signs.

:D

jones performance

Reaction score

7 months for me.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I'm done with this place. My last job before I retired was in Anaheim. I'd leave the house in Wildomar (Temecula) at 4AM just to beat traffic. 15 to 91 to 57 freeways. I'd try to leave the office by 3PM but even then it was 1&1/2 hours to get home with no wrecks. If I waited to after 3 or if there was a wreck it could be 2 to 3 hours!

Over the last couple years even weekend traffic is ridiculous. The 15 freeway after 10AM is a nightmare. You can't go anywhere without sitting for hours.

I just bought a house in rural northern NV on 5 acres backing up to BLM land. I can go 4 wheeling, dirt bike riding, shooting, hiking, etc right out my back yard. No traffic at all, people are hard working, decent and friendly. It is mostly ag and a lot of retired folks. There is a smallish lake near by (Topaz) and I'm an hour from Tahoe. Got my house in SoCal sold and just wrapping up a few loose ends.

There is such a difference in the quality of life and the kind of people up there. I know many people are chasing the so called American dream in California, saying they need to make more money for their families and lifestyle. My question is to them, at what cost? I don't think people realize how messed up people are in CA and what it is doing to their kids. Go to small towns out of state and see what real honest decent people are like (not saying they don't exist in CA but overall, it is really bad here).

Pokey, you should try to do some traveling around the country and see other places. It might motivate you to make a change. I just did two weeks and rolled 3500 miles through Zion, Bryce, Escalante, northern CO loop through Steamboat Springs and Winter Park then Denver then back through UT and across highway 50 in northern NV. Amazing sights to see and cool small towns along they way.

Cost of living is much less in rural towns so you don't need to make as much. Sure, you may not be able to buy a new Escalade and have to drive a used Tahoe instead but when you are out enjoying the outdoors or having lunch at the diner in town chatting with the locals and having a piece of pie or sitting on your front porch enjoying your view, it is worth it.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I'm done with this place. My last job before I retired was in Anaheim. I'd leave the house in Wildomar (Temecula) at 4AM just to beat traffic. 15 to 91 to 57 freeways. I'd try to leave the office by 3PM but even then it was 1&1/2 hours to get home with no wrecks. If I waited to after 3 or if there was a wreck it could be 2 to 3 hours!

Over the last couple years even weekend traffic is ridiculous. The 15 freeway after 10AM is a nightmare. You can't go anywhere without sitting for hours.

I just bought a house in rural northern NV on 5 acres backing up to BLM land. I can go 4 wheeling, dirt bike riding, shooting, hiking, etc right out my back yard. No traffic at all, people are hard working, decent and friendly. It is mostly ag and a lot of retired folks. There is a smallish lake near by (Topaz) and I'm an hour from Tahoe. Got my house in SoCal sold and just wrapping up a few loose ends.

There is such a difference in the quality of life and the kind of people up there. I know many people are chasing the so called American dream in California, saying they need to make more money for their families and lifestyle. My question is to them, at what cost? I don't think people realize how messed up people are in CA and what it is doing to their kids. Go to small towns out of state and see what real honest decent people are like (not saying they don't exist in CA but overall, it is really bad here).

Pokey, you should try to do some traveling around the country and see other places. It might motivate you to make a change. I just did two weeks and rolled 3500 miles through Zion, Bryce, Escalante, northern CO loop through Steamboat Springs and Winter Park then Denver then back through UT and across highway 50 in northern NV. Amazing sights to see and cool small towns along they way.

Cost of living is much less in rural towns so you don't need to make as much. Sure, you may not be able to buy a new Escalade and have to drive a used Tahoe instead but when you are out enjoying the outdoors or having lunch at the diner in town chatting with the locals and having a piece of pie or sitting on your front porch enjoying your view, it is worth it.

I really like Minden and Gardnerville but my wife don't like the cold.
Beautiful place and no state income tax. Win

jones performance

Reaction score
its only going to get worse too..

eastvale area is fastest growing city around right now.

USMC2010

Reaction score
My commute is pretty crappy too, no matter what street I take I have one stop light and one stop sign or two stop signs.

HBCraig

Reaction score
The freeways here in socal are absolutely terrible. Its getting worse too. I would consider moving if my family doesnt live nearby. I have a very small family. Just my family, my Dad and brother. Thats it. Its hard to beat the weather in HB though

fishing fool

Reaction score
After driving the freeway for 25+ years I don't miss it one bit. When I started you were lucky to see headlights at times

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
I really like Minden and Gardnerville but my wife don't like the cold.
Beautiful place and no state income tax. Win

I have friends in Gardnerville which is how I came to that area to begin with. Nice area but I went south east about 20 miles to Smith Valley (population about 1,100!).

I can't handle the heat anymore and last summer in Wildomar was crazy hot and humid. Used to be a handful of over 100 degree days and very low humidity. I can't count the number over 100 days we had last summer and the much higher humidity. It also used to always cool way down around 6PM. I'd shut off the a/c and open all the windows and it would be really nice. Now, I have to run the a/c all night long. It was also 90 degrees until mid November and again 90 degrees in mid March. Global warming I guess!

It definitely gets colder up north but it is much dryer and at 4,500 feet elevation, the sun is intense and makes you feel warm. Plus, when it is cool out I can get a ton of work done outside without dying from the heat!

The biggest down side of the area is lack of employment but that doesn't affect me now.

Icky

Reaction score
I spent my time on here while sitting in traffic, watching you tube and answering emails. Might as well everyone else is.

And why the hell are you doing 68 at 530, the speed limit doesn't apply till after 6 am:)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Traffic is just getting worse and worse. I'd love to leave this state if I could only find a job in my line of work somewhere else.

I was in the same boat, which is why I jumped at the first opportunity to leave.

We got sick of our lives revolving around traffic, among other things.

And there's no reprieve on weekends - it's often even worse.

I can actually afford a baller house on an acre with a pool that's 10-15 minutes from my office in Uptown Dallas. Our quality of life is through the roof and we couldn't be happier.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have friends in Gardnerville which is how I came to that area to begin with. Nice area but I went south east about 20 miles to Smith Valley (population about 1,100!).

I can't handle the heat anymore and last summer in Wildomar was crazy hot and humid. Used to be a handful of over 100 degree days and very low humidity. I can't count the number over 100 days we had last summer and the much higher humidity. It also used to always cool way down around 6PM. I'd shut off the a/c and open all the windows and it would be really nice. Now, I have to run the a/c all night long. It was also 90 degrees until mid November and again 90 degrees in mid March. Global warming I guess!

It definitely gets colder up north but it is much dryer and at 4,500 feet elevation, the sun is intense and makes you feel warm. Plus, when it is cool out I can get a ton of work done outside without dying from the heat!

The biggest down side of the area is lack of employment but that doesn't affect me now.

Pretty sure the increase in humidity is due to Diamond Valley reservoir.
It changed the local climate having all that water stored here.

I don't mind the cold, but my wife cant deal with sub 50 degree weather LOL

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Commuting is a state of mind...lol

I can't complain as mine isn't that bad but a nice slow comfortable car with a decent stereo works great. No desire to hot rod or drive fast I just cruise and listed to xm or pandora.

Don't get me wrong I would bounce tomorrow if I could make my $$ out of state. The traffic isn't the reason I would leave I would leave because of the politics,taxes and cost of living.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Seriously if I could go back 15yrs I would've either done that, or would've likely pursued a career with the CHP, so I could've worked out of Needles & lived in either BHC or LHC. I'll I know is I dread driving anywhere out here, these days.... I think about making changes daily, but sure, fear plays a major roll....

How old are you?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Central Coast has very little traffic. The rush hour into San Luis in the morning coming north get a bit congested and the same going south in the evenings but that's typically it. This is the only place in California I want to live. If it weren't for friends and family living in Burbank and Simi Valley, I'd NEVER go into LA County again.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I'm done with this place.

Al - this is just awesome! Good for you!

I am glad we met and you were able to show Robin and I the big blue & Catalina... at least for a few hours on a nice Saturday afternoon. We STILL talk about that trip and that was, what... 2 years ago?

Joe

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Commuting is a state of mind...lol

I can't complain as mine isn't that bad but a nice slow comfortable car with a decent stereo works great. No desire to hot rod or drive fast I just cruise and listed to xm or pandora.

Don't get me wrong I would bounce tomorrow if I could make my $$ out of state. The traffic isn't the reason I would leave I would leave because of the politics,taxes and cost of living.

This.

And I only have to commute a couple days a week typically.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This.

And I only have to commute a couple days a week typically.

My commute is 50 miles round trip and I would say I average 45 minutes each way so it's not that big of a deal.

What pisses me off is driving a fast car to work and getting stuck behind slow as drivers...lol

I have learned just leave the nice stuff at home in the garage for weekends [emoji41][emoji106][emoji631]

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I don't see that happening this year or the next. You get the idea...... Miracles do happen, I suppose? But at the rate I'm going, not likely with my boring, lonely life....

You have some of the best boat knowledge I've seen/read. Why not put that knowledge to great use and incorporate that into a job? Doing something you love to do makes for a happy life. Your confidence and self esteem will shoot through the roof. Never met you and I am sure you are a solid dude but your posts suggest you should stop sitting on the sidelines and get in the game. Be happy Pokey...you're only here once so make it count. :thumbup: Life is way too short to live with regrets.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Al - this is just awesome! Good for you!

I am glad we met and you were able to show Robin and I the big blue & Catalina... at least for a few hours on a nice Saturday afternoon. We STILL talk about that trip and that was, what... 2 years ago?

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks.

Yeah, I think it was a couple years already. Time flies, huh? That was a fun run. Tom sold his boat by the way.

Let me know if you ever want to take a run on Tahoe. :thumbsup I was going to sell my boat and get a smaller lake boat but I think I'm going to keep it as it will be awesome on Tahoe. I got a pair of ProChargers for it too so they will make up for the altitude power loss. Looking forward to getting out on that beautiful water!

Attachments

• 152-5283_IMG.JPG
    152-5283_IMG.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 28

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I got stuck in San Diego last night when they closed I-5 because of some dumbass wanting to jump off a bridge. Never made it to my destination because of this fuckstick wasting tax payer money to save his sorry ass.[emoji37]

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I got stuck in San Diego last night when they closed I-5 because of some dumbass wanting to jump off a bridge. Never made it to my destination because of this fuckstick wasting tax payer money to save his sorry ass.[emoji37]

With all the new gas taxes and dmv fees its gonna get worse.

Moonbeam is destroying this beautiful state. :skull

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
You have some of the best boat knowledge I've seen/read. Why not put that knowledge to great use and incorporate that into a job? Doing something you love to do makes for a happy life. Your confidence and self esteem will shoot through the roof. Never met you and I am sure you are a solid dude but your posts suggest you should stop sitting on the sidelines and get in the game. Be happy Pokey...you're only here once so make it count. :thumbup: Life is way too short to live with regrets.

I agree. You should start a boat brokerage business. Help sellers sell and buyers buy. You can also attend boating events all over the country and write off the expenses on your taxes. Start a website, get business card, maybe some nice shirts to wear to events, do some sponsorship (you can start out small to keep costs down), advertise on RDP. :p:thumbsup