WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Freighters piling up off Long Beach!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just curious, at what point will it become more beneficial to start taking these things through the canal and offloading somewhere in the gulf vs sitting in a line of 80 ships to be offloaded in Commiefornia
I believe most of the largest container ships are too large to fit in the locks of the canal so they would have to go all the way around the cape, about doubling the expense and fuel cost. Much more costly than idling and waiting.

Portland and Seattle though..... those are not that cost restrictive however the shipping across the country is hard due to those little bumps called the Rockies.....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The problem is AQMD, Tree Huggers and "fill in the blank" with many others ...... We can't make it cleaner...EITHER can ANYONE ELSE...

The difference is the other countries are polluting the air, water and soil... and making the $$$. As long as we can't "SEE IT" from here... all the above mentioned morons are okay with it............ well not really okay with it, but their fight gets them the middle finger from the rest of the world.

This. All we did was outsource the pollution from the crap we consume.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I admire the spin job.

Unfortunately it made me more sea sick than being on one of those freighters waiting off the coast😝

530RL

Reaction score
Any idea what country Raggety Ann is referring to 🤡🌎

The port of Los Angeles is doing record TEU container volume. Larger than any year in the past.

Same goes for the Port of Long Beach. Larger than any year in the past.

If they are running at record volumes, yet ships are still stacking up, pretty hard not to conclude there is record volume of orders coming in by container. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It would appear most ports throughout the US are running record volumes. That is probably what she is referring to with respect to more goods being ordered.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
The port of Los Angeles is doing record TEU container volume. Larger than any year in the past.

If they are running at record volumes, yet ships are still stacking up, pretty hard not to conclude there is record volume of orders coming in by container. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It would appear most ports throughout the US are running record volumes. That is probably what she is referring to with respect to more goods being ordered.

Biden economy so strong!! shelves are empty and cargo ships are backing up.

Lets go Brandon!!

530RL

Reaction score
Biden economy so strong!! shelves are empty and cargo ships are backing up.

Lets go Brandon!!

Yep, we can't keep up in our businesses either. Our warehouses are empty just like retail shelves.

Never been so busy with demand far outstripping supply.

Can't increase supply any more with no workers available so hoping for a slow down in demand just to get back to normal.

Just like the ports across America.

Backlash

Reaction score
Yep, we can't keep up in our businesses either. Our warehouses are empty just like retail shelves.

Never been so busy with demand far outstripping supply.

Can't increase supply any more with no workers available so hoping for a slow down in demand just to get back to normal.

Just like the ports across America.

I fixed it for you 529.5.

"Can't increase supply when all of our materials are outsourced to an enemy of this great nation. And due to the outstanding stimulus packages created by our incredibly savvy government, we cannot hire any skilled labor because people would rather sit at home collecting this government stimulus versus earning a steady wage. I support all that Biden has accomplished in the last year and look forward to his continued leadership."

🤣👍

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Need to move all these ships to Mexico, off load them, and move the containers across the border as illegals.

They'd breeze right in and the feds would cover the transport from the border to any city you wanted for free.
shut UP!!!!.
that too FUCKING easy to actually FIX the problem!!!!
Calis solution is Electric trucks...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

This is fantastic. It’s the new normal, yay!

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Yep, and I have heard(from a good source) that it has to do with the "agenda" and shacking them all up in California for the publicity. I'm sure they can be transferred to Portland or Seattle and be offloaded.😉 and plunty of trucks capable of the haul off. But that doesn't support the publicity and the agenda that is being presented.

Won’t help immediately, but I am told, and have been bidding on some of it, that they are now going to put a BIG port in where the CNG plant was to go down in your home town.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Heard John & Ken on KFI talking about this yesterday on my commute home and they were talking about how outdated both ports (LB & SP) are as far as automation goes and ability to off load. Both ports are ranked like 323 & 328 of all the ports worldwide for automation/efficiency.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Heard John & Ken on KFI talking about this yesterday on my commute home and they were talking about how outdated both ports (LB & SP) are as far as automation goes and ability to off load. Both ports are ranked like 323 & 328 of all the ports worldwide for automation/efficiency.
Of course…automation kills union jobs

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Won’t help immediately, but I am told, and have been bidding on some of it, that they are now going to put a BIG port in where the CNG plant was to go down in your home town.
I haven't lived there for 6 years, what happened to it???????????

Meaney77

Reaction score
Sounds like that may have been a plug to throw a shit load of funds towards both ports to update. "This could have all been avoided or have less of a severity with new technology"

DaveH

Reaction score
"people have money and consumption is up" screwing up the ports/supply chain is what we are being told.

wait a moment.....I'm not rocket scientist...but wasn't it just couple years ago, before biden, the economy was ROARING, everything looking good before the election and covid.

yet the ports and supply chain weren't fucked then were they? somehow we didn't have container ship stacked up off shore, goods were being delivered.

sorry, not buying the "voracious American consumer argument". anybody care to offer a different theory on why this is really happening?

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Any Longshoremen in the house? I’ve got questions for ya.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
"people have money and consumption is up" screwing up the ports/supply chain is what we are being told.

wait a moment.....I'm not rocket scientist...but wasn't it just couple years ago, before biden, the economy was ROARING, everything looking good before the election and covid.

yet the ports and supply chain weren't fucked then were they? somehow we didn't have container ship stacked up off shore, goods were being delivered.

sorry, not buying the "voracious American consumer argument". anybody care to offer a different theory on why this is really happening?
I was on the 710N a couple days ago about 10:30AM and it was about solid with trucks hauling cans....product is most definitely moving out of the ports, and lots of it. More or less than years past...dunno.

I think a contributor is that a lot of folks are working from home. Nobody is spending money on gas, going out to lunch, etc...they have nothing better to do than shop online day while "at work" with that money they're saving. That would certainly explain the increased demand of cheap chinese shit.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The amount of hardware floating around out there...gains a few more every week it seems.

Marine Traffic

Its free, no sign in required. Zoom in or out, put your cursor on the dot and it will give name, port, and speed.

Last edited:

beerrun

Reaction score
It must be true that we the people have more money to spend and they can't get it to us fast enough. I've been to Costco 3 times in 2 weeks and they still don't have toilet paper 😁

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Heard this morning the ship count off Long Beach/Los Angeles Ports has grown to over 100 now. Good Job Biden getting those container ships unloaded that you said you solved 2 weeks ago, lol. What a Joke!!!!

I hope they get this fixed soon. My Daily Driver shit the bed earlier this week. So Cal Auto Dealers have such low inventories they are marking up the prices 20%-30% above MSRP and people are paying it 😱. I might be driving my F350 to work for a while. I refuse to get f-ed by the stealerships!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
It must be true that we the people have more money to spend and they can't get it to us fast enough. I've been to Costco 3 times in 2 weeks and they still don't have toilet paper 😁

But alas, had you been at the Costco San Marcos last Tuesday morning, you'd have been in awe as you gazed upon the mountain of Charmin --- one case per membership limit.
Guessing by the cases seen on departing carts, I'm guessing it didn't last long. Sorry you missed this momentous occasion. ;)

beerrun

Reaction score
But alas, had you been at the Costco San Marcos last Tuesday morning, you'd have been in awe as you gazed upon the mountain of Charmin --- one case per membership limit.
Guessing by the cases seen on departing carts, I'm guessing it didn't last long. Sorry you missed this momentous occasion. ;)
I was on vacation 😎

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Heard this morning the ship count off Long Beach/Los Angeles Ports has grown to over 100 now. Good Job Biden getting those container ships unloaded that you said you solved 2 weeks ago, lol. What a Joke!!!!
Just got word that there are 167 ships awaiting entry to LA/LB, with another 30 expected overnight.

DWC

Reaction score
Just got word that there are 167 ships awaiting entry to LA/LB, with another 30 expected overnight.
It’s crazy. Have a friend that imports a bunch. When it was at 30 he was saying that it’s all underreported. There were so many vessels doing 1/2 speed on the way here trying to slow it down that it was gonna be a shit show when they arrived. He was spot on

timstoy

Reaction score
This. All we did was outsource the pollution from the crap we consume.
You hit the nail on the head. China and India are building coal fired power with no regard for the environment while we can’t produce enough power in California to meet our own needs. Add unchecked illegal aliens at record numbers consuming housing, power and water but Newsom blames it all on global warming. We regulate companys out of business here and the jobs and pollution goes overseas but we still pay price when we can’t get the products we need.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
At this point I’m convinced that a port in Wyoming could outperform anything in LA County 😆

I heard on the radio that LA/LB ports didn’t even rate in the top 100 of worldwide port efficiency. The greatest nation on the planet and we can’t get cans offloaded from a ship, crazy.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
At this point I’m convinced that a port in Wyoming could outperform anything in LA County 😆

I heard on the radio that LA/LB ports didn’t even rate in the top 100 of worldwide port efficiency. The greatest nation on the planet and we can’t get cans offloaded from a ship, crazy.

Rumor has it that there is presentation, (that from what I understand) is moving forward to build a port out of Coos Bay,Or. Wont help as of now but it should be very helpful in the future.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
As this worsens common stores such as Family Dollar, Dollar General, 99 cent store, Dollar Tree etc and Harbor Freight, among others, will begin to fall by the wayside. They'll have insufficient products to sell. Medical items and supplies are even more scary to think about.

Reactions: DWC

Cole 392

Reaction score
Here’s our TRANSPORTATION secretary during the worst TRANSPORTATION crisis in U.S. history…

E2B65E74-AF5E-4F5E-B366-4A5F85964253.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
As this worsens common stores such as Family Dollar, Dollar General, 99 cent store, Dollar Tree etc and Harbor Freight, among others, will begin to fall by the wayside. They'll have insufficient products to sell. Medical items and supplies are even more scary to think about.
To add to the shipping fiasco, China is limiting factory production to 2 days a week, I believe to conserve electricity. I'm not sure it spreads through every industry, but I know foundries are affected.

It's going to get ugly

jet496

Reaction score
To add to the shipping fiasco, China is limiting factory production to 2 days a week, I believe to conserve electricity. I'm not sure it spreads through every industry, but I know foundries are affected.

It's going to get ugly
F*#k China. We should just bite the bullet, quit buying ANYTHING from them & start make everything we need here in the good ole US of A. Oh wait, our dumbass government & unions have made that impossible. Good thought though.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
F*#k China. We should just bite the bullet, quit buying ANYTHING from them & start make everything we need here in the good ole US of A. Oh wait, our dumbass government & unions have made that impossible. Good thought though.
We tried that…when I was with Stoptech, we invested in tooling and new machines to bring our BBK rotor production to the US…we had a foundry in NorCal doing the castings for us. Quality and consistency was poor, and we finally gave up (the foundry shut down shortly thereafter) and went back to China…great quality (factory owner lived in Whittier), but even he shut his doors due to excessive operating costs and cheap customers.

Cheap goods over the last 20 years have created an interesting mindset with the typical consumer in this country….people don’t buy what they need, they buy tons of shit they don’t need at low prices which were only really sustainable due to subsidies from the Chinese government. Now that regulation and other factors are driving costs up on non-garbage, people refuse to pay the real costs for things, since they haven’t had to for the last 20 years. Add in the fact that a whole bunch of necessities are basically subscription based now, which just consumes money every month, and I don’t know how this will end. I do know it will be painful for many.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
The media and The White House are making statements that the Port of Long Long Beach and Port of LA are working towards moving to 24/7 operations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those two ports always 24/7? I dated a girl that had an apartment that overlooked the port and I remember sitting on her deck watching the port in action late into the evening.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A couple other points that I believe add to the problem:

There's less trucks due to the AQMD booting out older diesel trucks.

There's less drivers since California passed the law eliminating gig workers. A whole lot of independent drivers are gone.

The shipping ports work 24 hour a day. The receiving ports in LA do not.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Rumor has it that there is presentation, (that from what I understand) is moving forward to build a port out of Coos Bay,Or. Wont help as of now but it should be very helpful in the future.
There are several obstacles to that happening.

1) Oregon, being further leftist than California would never allow the major increase of ship and truck traffic, and necessary construction, into the forest environment of the Coos Bay area.
2) Serious, wide scale dredging would be required before any deep draft vessels (up to 49' draft) could enter the inlet and transit the bay.
3) The US 101 bridge has a maximum clearance of 145'. Cargo/container ships can have upwards of 175 feet from waterline to highest point.
4) No direct highways to the east. Truck traffic would be forced to travel hundreds of miles north (250 miles to I-84) or south 575 miles to I-80), before accessing any major routes to the east, a lot of it 2 lane highway.

I don't think ANYONE in or around Coos Bay would like their little fishing community turned into LA/LB. I really don't see that ever happening.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
There are several obstacles to that happening.

1) Oregon, being further leftist than California would never allow the major increase of ship and truck traffic, and necessary construction, into the forest environment of the Coos Bay area.
2) Serious, wide scale dredging would be required before any deep draft vessels (up to 49' draft) could enter the inlet and transit the bay.
3) The US 101 bridge has a maximum clearance of 145'. Cargo/container ships can have upwards of 175 feet from waterline to highest point.
4) No direct highways to the east. Truck traffic would be forced to travel hundreds of miles north (250 miles to I-84) or south 575 miles to I-80), before accessing any major routes to the east, a lot of it 2 lane highway.

I don't think ANYONE in or around Coos Bay would like their little fishing community turned into LA/LB. I really don't see that ever happening.

I was born and raised in coos bay/north bend. Most of my family still lives there and run the port and fish plant in Charleston. We only live 2.5hrs away so still spend alot of time down there. I was just sharing what I was told. And as far as "oregon being more leftist than California" I dont think we are quite there yet but its getting close.

There are alot of locals that support this and hope the liberals of eugene and Portland dont fuk it up😉

NicPaus

Reaction score
Best Buy closing one of its top stores here. No inventory to sell is reason employee gave. Lots of empty shelves around town. I can see ships from the house now from Redondo.

76sanger

Reaction score
I was born and raised in coos bay/north bend. Most of my family still lives there and run the port and fish plant in Charleston. We only live 2.5hrs away so still spend alot of time down there. I was just sharing what I was told. And as far as "oregon being more leftist than California" I dont think we are quite there yet but its getting close.

There are alot of locals that support this and hope the liberals of eugene and Portland dont fuk it up😉
Where do you live in Oregon?
We that are born and raised from central Oregon - central coast south know damn well that Eugene north will fuck it up. They always fuck it up for us that live south! Your right that we are not more leftest than Nazifornia as of yet. The guns in this state is the only thing from taking us across that line. I think our BITCH governor knows this and really doesn't want to start a state civil war.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
"The Economy is doing sooooo good that there are 150+ freight ships anchored in LA when previously it was rare to see more than a few if any at all"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Where do you live in Oregon?
We that are born and raised from central Oregon - central coast south know damn well that Eugene north will fuck it up. They always fuck it up for us that live south! Your right that we are not more leftest than Nazifornia as of yet. The guns in this state is the only thing from taking us across that line. I think our BITCH governor knows this and really doesn't want to start a state civil war.

Born and raised in north bend/coos bay. Currently live in the outskirts of Salem.