WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fresh 540 cubic inch pump gas engine!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I am getting ready to assemble a 540 cubic inch pump gas engine to sell (it was originally set up as a 572). I have unconfirmed 3rd hand information that it made 640 dyno horsepower, then got starved for oil in the boat after an oil line broke, so the crank and rods were ruined. The block was not damaged, and has been to the shop for machine hone with torque plate. The block is a tall deck, Dart block at 4.500" bore.

I plan to purchase new a new Eagle 4.25" stroke crank and new Eagle rods, of course all new rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, etc. The JE pistons survived as the engine was not run a long period after the oil problem started, or a new set of pistons could be substituted if someone contacts me prior to getting the assembly balanced, for example if you wanted lower compression for a blower engine, or perhaps higher compression to run with AV gas.

Heads are a set of Merlin rectangular port iron heads that were freshly done at Pfaff, identical to the ones that were on the engine. These could be upgraded to aluminum heads if someone so desired. This would include hydraulic roller cam, new hydraulic roller lifters, new roller rockers, and new polished valve covers.

Naturally this engine will be measured and assembled to my usual quality standards. Each bearing clearance measured, ring end gaps filed to fit, crank thrust set, oil pump disassembled and checked, camshaft degreed.

I will complete the engine to be used in either a jet or outdrive configuration with a single plane intake, 10 qt oil pan, and flywheel or flexplate as necessary for your boat. No carburetor or ignition at this price, long engine only, $10,700.

Any upgrades or additional parts would add to the cost. Note that I do have a real nice 12-71 polished Mooneyham blower for sale for $3800, but at that point I would suggest upgrading crankshaft and rods, aluminum heads and an intercooler.

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Scratching my head a bit about what parts to buy to complete this engine, it dawned on me that if I used a 6.660" connecting rod and a 4.25" crank that could be more desirable to someone. Better rod angle with better ring sealing and increased cylinder wall life.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Would it be possible to shoe horn this into a daily driver 08 Volkswagon? 😁

Hammer

Reaction score
Any Interest in selling the block bare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Would it be possible to shoe horn this into a daily driver 08 Volkswagon? 😁
Yes,, yes it would be possible. I recall one time at the Pomona dragstrip a team had a 911 series Porsche with an all aluminum big block Chevy stuffed into it.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Any Interest in selling the block bare?

No thanks. I have most of the parts to go with this setup, makes no sense for me to sell the block and then have to buy a new one.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
At this point I made the decision to build it as a 540, the rotating assembly is at the balance shop. It could still be run NA or forced induction depending on what heads end up on the engine.

sintax

Reaction score
At this point I made the decision to build it as a 540, the rotating assembly is at the balance shop. It could still be run NA or forced induction depending on what heads end up on the engine.

wishing a deal like this was around when I had my engine freshened up. Great deal

John Taylor

Reaction score
Sorry I missed your post, it would depend on heads and head gasket choice, but quick calculations put it just over 9-1 with the JE flat tops.
Oh that’s ok. Thank you for your reply. My 502 mag mpi is getting tired and am looking for a replacement / upgrade

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Oh that’s ok. Thank you for your reply. My 502 mag mpi is getting tired and am looking for a replacement / upgrade
I am currently rebuilding two of those. Based on my experience with them, you can't gain too much power if you stay with the stock computer and injection system, meaning you can't just swap in a 540 or even much different of a camshaft. One I am doing is getting put in a different boat that currently has no computer, the other is sort of up in the air until we see if his block can be salvaged.