WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fresh Off The CNC

Toolman

Reaction score
Prop Shaft Coupler. This coupler spins concentric and is balanced. Made from 303 s.s. Shaft sizes are 1.375/1.125. All threaded holes are fine pitch. Grooves on outside of coupler are for balance. This coupler is a direct replacement for most existing couplers.

This is a collaboration between Schiada and Collins V-Drives. Sold exclusively at D21 Enterprises.

Attachments

• DSC00348.JPG
    DSC00348.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00347.JPG
    DSC00347.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00345.JPG
    DSC00345.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00344.JPG
    DSC00344.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 60

thetub

Reaction score
nice:thumbup:

would be nice if the bolt holes would be big enough to fit some nice ARP 12 points.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Very nice! :thumbup::thumbup:

Toolman

Reaction score
nice:thumbup:

would be nice if the bolt holes would be big enough to fit some nice ARP 12 points.

Stan got some ARP s.s. bolts but they were 3/8 12 point (head size). We need 5/16 12 point. We're waiting for the right bolts.

1homeblown

Reaction score
Dang I wish they would stop coming out with trick, badass parts that I must have. [emoji41]. What are the prices? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Toolman

Reaction score
Dang I wish they would stop coming out with trick, badass parts that I must have. [emoji41]. What are the prices? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Bolts is the question right now. Soon as we get that straightened out, pricing will follow.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
this is not a smart ass question. if you aren't sure of what bolts you will be using, then how will you know the true balance of the coupler if you've already manufactured it? i would assume that length, head shape, and material would make a ton of difference in the final product. again, not being a smart ass. anything to pull as much vibration out of the prop shaft is great!

Toolman

Reaction score
this is not a smart ass question. if you aren't sure of what bolts you will be using, then how will you know the true balance of the coupler if you've already manufactured it? i would assume that length, head shape, and material would make a ton of difference in the final product. again, not being a smart ass. anything to pull as much vibration out of the prop shaft is great!

OK smartass!!!! lol Just kidding! This coupler is balanced to the standard bolts the other couplers use now (steel). If I can't get the same configuration in stainless, then it will be the standard (steel) bolt. My bolt guy is hunting as we type.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
OK smartass!!!! lol Just kidding! This coupler is balanced to the standard bolts the other couplers use now (steel). If I can't get the same configuration in stainless, then it will be the standard (steel) bolt. My bolt guy is hunting as we type.

got it. thanks. how out of balance are the standard ones in comparison?

Toolman

Reaction score
got it. thanks. how out of balance are the standard ones in comparison?

The current couplers have the shaft bore off center about 3/32" to compensate for out of balance condition. The balancing people I talked to say when u throw the main body of something off center, it needs counterweights like a crankshaft to do it right. Stan has an old concentric coupler that someone drilled 3/16'' holes the full length of the part ( a series of 5 holes on an arc which would have taken forever) in the same area as my grooves. He says it works great.

BTW, this is not an exact science. When I get the right bolts, I will check my work for balance. Trying to avoid dynamic balancing $$$$$$$ :)

But to answer ur question, I don't know exactly how out of balance the current coupler is. I need to get one from Stan and compare the two.

thetub

Reaction score
would be awesome if you could make up some ss safety collars the same way...:thumbup:

aaronschiada

Reaction score
The current couplers have the shaft bore off center about 3/32" to compensate for out of balance condition. The balancing people I talked to say when u throw the main body of something off center, it needs counterweights like a crankshaft to do it right. Stan has an old concentric coupler that someone drilled 3/16'' holes the full length of the part ( a series of 5 holes on an arc which would have taken forever) in the same area as my grooves. He says it works great.

BTW, this is not an exact science. When I get the right bolts, I will check my work for balance. Trying to avoid dynamic balancing $$$$$$$ :)

But to answer ur question, I don't know exactly how out of balance the current coupler is. I need to get one from Stan and compare the two.

I see. Well if it helps with the fibration, I'd def be interested. Then again I am running a huge 2 blade prop with an 1 1/8" prop shaft...so not quite sure how much it will take out.

Toolman

Reaction score
What I'm trying to do is go after the biggest offenders (things in the v-drive world that aren't right) and fix them. One at a time :)

Toolman

Reaction score
Well, here are the bolts we're using until something better comes along. U can see my final balancing drill holes. I machined a shaft that goes thru coupler complete with keyways, keys, and set screws that simulates real world conditions and spin it on static balancer. I decided to leave it a little heavy so I'd have to do a final drill balance by hand so that in the future if bolts change a little, I have extra weight to play with.

Attachments

• DSC00349.JPG
    DSC00349.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00350.JPG
    DSC00350.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00351.JPG
    DSC00351.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 56

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Are you balancing these by Mass in CAD? Or are you actually balancing them?

Little balancing jig I made for an RC car flywheel for a friend.

[video=youtube;sYEVh-vD2GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYEVh-vD2GM[/video]

Balanced flywheel

[video=youtube;0UsSuHfWtgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsSuHfWtgk[/video]

Toolman

Reaction score
Both. Cad got me real close. But not quite dead on. I believe it's because I don't use actual threads in my models 'cause it hammers my video card. Any kind of a helix will bring a computer to it's knees. Also, when I finally got the bolts, they were .030 shorter than my model.

I knew I would have to do a final hand balancing to bring it in. I built a fixture to balance it.

The couplers only see 3 machines. CNC Lathe, broach, and 4th axis mill.