WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

From Havasu to Powell in June

Fenderbender

Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Powell (Wahweap Marina) with some friends in June. All of them are motorhome campers and drive and tow from home with their boats and stuff. We sold our trailer some years back but we want to camp and stay at the campground with all of them. SO Im looking at renting this 40ft 5th wheel from someone in bullhead and towing it up there and having my bro tow my boat. I know that a 40ft with 3 slides will be one heavy bitch and I'm wondering if anyone has done that drive before and they can fill me in on the grades and experience towing. I know there is a grade from bullhead to Kingman but not sure about the rest. Ive got an 07 6.0 diesel that I used to tow a 35ft Weekend Warrior all loaded up with desert stuff and it did just fine. But I know towing in the heat is a different beast. My other option is getting something delivered to the camp spot but haven't found anything that can sleep as many people.

wahweap-rv-park_1_1000x667.jpg

JD D05

Reaction score
I have been to both a good amount but never that exact trip. All the other ways I have gone to Powell you get all of it. But into Waheeep isn't to bad.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It’s a brutal tow, I think it’s uphill the entire way from Kingman to flagstaff, gotta be over 100 miles. At times we dropped down to 35 mph but we get there. One thing you will need at the rv park is transportation to the docks, it’s a long walk, with a 5th wheel you have use of the truck which is cool. Next summer my wife will follow me in the car to make things easier getting to and from the boat. Also make sure to call the marina and make a slip reservation. This was us rolling out on our way in September.
0F0F98F1-DFC1-468E-B217-FB1560258D16.jpeg

BajaMike

Reaction score
There are a lot of rental agencies out the. I would not want to tow someone else’s trailer that far. It’s a pain and a lot can go wrong.

Rent a trailer in Page or get a hotel room. It is a loooonnngggg drive.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It’s not that bad, one you get past kingman the temps start to drop as your climbing in elevation. I just did that this last year same time of year. Your 6.0 will do just fine

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Ashfork two williams is a big climb and once on the reservation the climb from the jacobs lake/north rim turn off to on top of the plateau is a good elevation Change. I don't know what stockton hill is like out of kingman.

Maybe do yourself a favor and run with empty tanks, and do the majority of your shopping in page if it's a concern.

Personally I would be more concerned dropping the grades on the way back and keeping your brakes cool. But if you're already asking the questions I think you're a pretty savvy individual!

Hope you have a good trip, that's where we spend our lake time, wife knows a good portion of powell like the back of her hand.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Ashfork two williams is a big climb and once on the reservation the climb from the jacobs lake/north rim turn off to on top of the plateau is a good elevation Change. I don't know what stockton hill is like out of kingman.

Maybe do yourself a favor and run with empty tanks, and do the majority of your shopping in page if it's a concern.

Personally I would be more concerned dropping the grades on the way back and keeping your brakes cool. But if you're already asking the questions I think you're a pretty savvy individual!

Hope you have a good trip, that's where we spend our lake time, wife knows a good portion of powell like the back of her hand.
Coming down the hill out of Page is what convinced me to change to electric over hydraulic brakes on my trailer. Need to do it on the trailer I have now

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’d look for a rental in Flagstaff or Page. Hell I’d bet there’s some right there at Powell. It’s up hill all the way basically.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
HAHA , Damn im glad I asked.

There are a lot of rental agencies out the. I would not want to tow someone else’s trailer that far. It’s a pain and a lot can go wrong.

Rent a trailer in Page or get a hotel room. It is a loooonnngggg drive.

I will look in to this again as I didn't find much when I google searched it the first time so I have been looking on the outdoorsy app for rentals. I have found a couple decent rigs that will deliver up there. any referrals is appreciated.

It’s a brutal tow, I think it’s uphill the entire way from Kingman to flagstaff, gotta be over 100 miles. At times we dropped down to 35 mph but we get there. One thing you will need at the rv park is transportation to the docks, it’s a long walk, with a 5th wheel you have use of the truck which is cool. Next summer my wife will follow me in the car to make things easier getting to and from the boat. Also make sure to call the marina and make a slip reservation. This was us rolling out on our way in September.

View attachment 969090

Uphill and a headwind both ways o_O huh.. Sweet setup

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Flag to Powell in a pretty poor road plus it's a long downhill run, about a 4000 ft drop in elevation.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Coming down the hill out of Page is what convinced me to change to electric over hydraulic brakes on my trailer. Need to do it on the trailer I have now

For those talking about the grade going south out of Page? Are you towing up and over the hill on 89A which is insane!... I always take 98 south and cut over at GAP to get back onto 89. Its actually faster on the 98/Gap also... There is no tough grade going that way.

Taboma

Reaction score
For those talking about the grade going south out of Page? Are you towing up and over the hill on 89A which is insane!... I always take 98 south and cut over at GAP to get back onto 89. Its actually faster on the 98/Gap also... There is no tough grade going that way.

Haven't been to Page / Powell since the late 70's and I was only towing a 19' boat. Are you suggesting that it's faster to go 98 to 160 to 89 ? What is GAP ?

Page south.JPG

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Meh..... Make it REALLY fun D and go all the way to and up Mexican Hat! We did that when we rented a house boat back in the mid 90's. Nobody took any of their RV's that time, but we did have the 2 boats behind trucks going up this grade (and yes, it is switchbacks all the way up the face of the Plateau and dirt)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Haven't been to Page / Powell since the late 70's and I was only towing a 19' boat. Are you suggesting that it's faster to go 98 to 160 to 89 ? What is GAP ?

No, you don't want to go that far east and come back through Tuba City.. that's way to long... You jump on the 98 from the 89 and quickly head south on coppermine road and jog over to GAP that is north of the tuba city route. This is the only way to go when towing in my opinion.

FYI.... I tow a sundancer 290 that is 10 feet wide, with an oversize permit at 14,000 lbs.. So I am highly sensitive to route when doing 300 miles out of Chandler AZ to Page AZ!

bestroute.png

Last edited:

bbrownster

Reaction score
Wahweap has airstreams in the RV Park you can rent. We did that two years ago instead of towing with our MH. We also did to to see if we liked Air Stream and would buy one after retirement. The Camp management doesn't know how to care for the airstreams long term, but it was a lot of fun staying in them. Would recommend plus slip as stated before.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
No, you don't want to go that far east and come back through Tuba City.. that's way to long... You jump on the 98 from the 89 and quickly head south on coppermine road and jog over to GAP that is north of the tuba city route. This is the only way to go when towing in my opinion.
View attachment 969113

FYI.... I tow a sundancer 290 that is 10 feet wide, with an oversize permit at 14,000 lbs.. So I am highly sensitive to route when doing 300 miles out of Chandler AZ to Page AZ!

That is the way google maps sent me when I looked. Good job google.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The grade flat out sucks to tow. As mentioned previously and the roads are not in good condition getting into Page. Might make towing a 40’ trailer a little nerve wrenching.

As an option, maybe look into the wahweep hotel/ resort just above the marina. [emoji848]

Like Walt mentioned too, reserve a slip asap at the marina.

I am making the trip in July and planned things a bit different this time than in the past. I reserved a slip at Antelope Point Marina and am staying at hotel in Page.
I felt that by planning to go out from Antelope would keep me from driving all the way back to wahweep each day (not knowing if the lake levels would support the dredged area) making us drive thru the narrows while coming and going. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Wahweap has airstreams in the RV Park you can rent. We did that two years ago instead of towing with our MH. We also did to to see if we liked Air Stream and would buy one after retirement. The Camp management doesn't know how to care for the airstreams long term, but it was a lot of fun staying in them. Would recommend plus slip as stated before.

I literally just got off the phone with them and they said "Sorry we don't have any rentals in the area" I guess I need to keep calling until I reach someone that wants to actually do their job (customer service lol)

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek I just stay on 89 the whole way I don't deviate. I don't haul a camper just our boat with tent camping gear keeping my load light. Yeah the grade that shoots up the plateau with the big cut through the mountain at the top.

Taboma

Reaction score

View attachment 969113

Thanks, hadn't zoomed in enough to see Coppermine Rd.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
The grade flat out sucks to tow. As mentioned previously and the roads are not in good condition getting into Page. Might make towing a 40’ trailer a little nerve wrenching.

As an option, maybe look into the wahweep hotel/ resort just above the marina. [emoji848]

I am making the trip in July and planned things a bit different this time than in the past. I reserved a slip at Antelope Point Marina and am staying at hotel in Page.
I felt that by planning to go out from Antelope would keep me from driving all the way back to wahweep each day (not knowing if the lake levels would support the dredged area) making us drive thru the narrows while coming and going. [emoji848]

I mean our goal was to camp and hang with our group at the campground which is why I'm trying to make that work first. I have looked at the hotel rooms but with 3 kids not having a kitchen to make food and stuff just becomes a nightmare.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
@Fenderbender I think you will be fine. The road sucks but there's plenty of people who drive that road every summer. Don't expect to run 65. You'll probably be fine at 50-60 just expect it to be a long travel day which coming from bull head you probably are.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You CAN'T haul ass from Flag to Page because you will get stuck behind me! It is heavily traveled with RVs, old people, native Americans and lots of BIG boats. It is a two way highway, but does have lots of two lane passing sections. As per @Nanu/Nanu, give yourself an extra hour, sit back and watch my huge ass back end of the boat. I will tow the speed limit and give way at every turnout/two lane passing section to the best of my ability. I will be the easiest pass you make...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Pretty smart in my opinion. Even when the cut is open out of Wahweep, Antelope marina is super nice and you avoid the "its a small world after all" part of the trip through the cut!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I mean our goal was to camp and hang with our group at the campground which is why I'm trying to make that work first. I have looked at the hotel rooms but with 3 kids not having a kitchen to make food and stuff just becomes a nightmare.

I think I have heard of other peeps renting a houseboat to stay on that doesn’t leave the dock. Have you seen any options like that?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Powell (Wahweap Marina) with some friends in June. All of them are motorhome campers and drive and tow from home with their boats and stuff. We sold our trailer some years back but we want to camp and stay at the campground with all of them. SO Im looking at renting this 40ft 5th wheel from someone in bullhead and towing it up there and having my bro tow my boat. I know that a 40ft with 3 slides will be one heavy bitch and I'm wondering if anyone has done that drive before and they can fill me in on the grades and experience towing. I know there is a grade from bullhead to Kingman but not sure about the rest. Ive got an 07 6.0 diesel that I used to tow a 35ft Weekend Warrior all loaded up with desert stuff and it did just fine. But I know towing in the heat is a different beast. My other option is getting something delivered to the camp spot but haven't found anything that can sleep as many people.

View attachment 969061
I've done the trip, did it in June as well the same route you are taking. I wasn't towing an RV, just the 28' boat behind my duramax dually so I didn't have any problems. The grade is long! The only thing in your favor, is that temps in June usually aren't as brutal as July / August, and it cools off significantly as elevation rises and you approach Williams. I would pack as light as possible, leave the water tanks empty and buy groceries / supplies in Page AZ. Save as much weight as possible. Slow down on the grade and pull it using gear reduction as your friend, don't set the cruise at 70 and let it eat......

Maybe do a "test tow" and see how it feels, up a grade locally? Your in SImi right? Hit the camarillo grade, or even the hill up Santa Suzana into the valley. Or maybe the 14 from Canyon country to the SFV. That will tell you alot about how its gonna act....that's what I would do first if I was gonna tow it with an unknown setup.'

The road gets windy and a bit chewed up as you near Powell. Just go slow, people are gonna pass you, it is what it is. My friends dad used to do it with his 40' coach towing a 26' boat, you can pull it off

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've done the trip, did it in June as well the same route you are taking. I wasn't towing an RV, just the 28' boat behind my duramax dually so I didn't have any problems. The grade is long! The only thing in your favor, is that temps in June usually aren't as brutal as July / August, and it cools off significantly as elevation rises and you approach Williams. I would pack as light as possible, leave the water tanks empty and buy groceries / supplies in Page AZ. Save as much weight as possible. Slow down on the grade and pull it using gear reduction as your friend, don't set the cruise at 70 and let it eat......

Maybe do a "test tow" and see how it feels, up a grade locally? Your in SImi right? Hit the camarillo grade, or even the hill up Santa Suzana into the valley. Or maybe the 14 from Canyon country to the SFV. That will tell you alot about how its gonna act....that's what I would do
It was 98 in Flag last year when we went in September.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
A couple of major grades, from Bullhead to Page-

Davis Grade/Union Pass (hwy 68)- Brutal in the summer heat, just under 3000 ft elevation gain in 12 miles.

Coyote pass into Kingman-
Only about 700' gain in ~2.5 miles, truck traffic from the scales/port of entry.

Beal St. to I-40 -
From a stop, and going up a 6% grade, with heavy truck and car traffic, only about 2 miles to the top.

Mile mark 71 to Mm 90 is a constant grade to get into the high country, to above 5000'.

Ashfork grade- About 15 miles, and 1600' gain. Truck lane and truck traffic can be slow in places.

Arizona divide- 7335', just before Flagstaff, mm 190.

Hwy 89, ~12 North of Flagstaff, a grade to 7300', and down hill all the way to Cameron.

Bitter Springs to Antelope Pass, "The Big Cut", 5100' to 6151' in 4 miles.

Antelope Pass, all down hill to Page, 4300'.

I've pulled my 5er with an F-250 PSD through all of this and the most difficult was by far Davis Grade/Union Pass.

Dan'l

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
You CAN'T haul ass from Flag to Page because you will get stuck behind me! It is heavily traveled with RVs, old people, native Americans and lots of BIG boats. It is a two way highway, but does have lots of two lane passing sections. As per @Nanu/Nanu, give yourself an extra hour, sit back and watch my huge ass back end of the boat. I will tow the speed limit and give way at every turnout/two lane passing section to the best of my ability. I will be the easiest pass you make...
I like guys like you A LOT! I cant stand cruising along catching someone giving space then going to pass on a pass lane and I'm mashed going 80 trying to figure out why I can't pass all of a sudden

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yep. My bearing buddies got so hot the grease liquified and started to exit.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
There is a really cool feature in Google Earth to show Elevation Profiles, I use it when ever I prepare a new towing route. You will be grinding up grade for the first 200 miles out of Havasu.. and coasting into Page after that.

havtopage.png

Reaction score
One thing you need to do is see if they have open camp spots and book them. I have some friends that called last week for the end of June, no spots available.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
One thing you need to do is see if they have open camp spots and book them. I have some friends that called last week for the end of June, no spots available.

Yeah I booked spots in October and figured I’d sort out the details later [emoji869]

Looking let like I’m going to tow a 40ft 5ver.. although it as bad ass and would be sweet to have out there I might just get whatever trailer I can get delivered up there LOL and just worry about getting the boat there and back

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yeah I booked spots in October and figured I’d sort out the details later [emoji869]

Looking let like I’m going to tow a 40ft 5ver.. although it as bad ass and would be sweet to have out there I might just get whatever trailer I can get delivered up there LOL and just worry about getting the boat there and back

September / October is the best month, we go every year. Used to do the houseboat, that is awesome but alot of work and expense, the RV park with a slip works out great for us, just gotta have a car as well in addition to your motorhome.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
View attachment 969090

Whoa! you are asking alot out of a 6.7!

2Driver

Reaction score
Meh..... Make it REALLY fun D and go all the way to and up Mexican Hat! We did that when we rented a house boat back in the mid 90's. Nobody took any of their RV's that time, but we did have the 2 boats behind trucks going up this grade (and yes, it is switchbacks all the way up the face of the Plateau and dirt)

We went up Moki Dugway coming back from Halls/ Bullfrog

You approach this massive 1,200’ face and swear theres no way a road goes up that cliff. Then you get there and its narrow and dirt.

LOL About the time you ask yourself is this really the highway, here comes a semi and a tour bus on the dirt switchbacks :0

1612395144525.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DWC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

You approach this massive 1,200’ face and swear theres no way a road goes up that cliff. Then you get there and its narrow and dirt.

LOL About the time you ask yourself is this really the highway, here comes a semi and a tour bus on the dirt switchbacks :0

View attachment 969229
You are supposed to tow a boat up that? F that if thats the case, its mission one key element, guardrails.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You are supposed to tow a boat up that? F that if thats the case, its mission one key element, guardrails.
Yu0.... that's the way we up back in the mid 90's. My uncle loved screwing with my aunt on the way up... he'd get really close to the edge on her side and she would FLIP! It was hilarious! And yes, boats in tow.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

2Driver

Reaction score

No shit and people do it with on coming huge tour busses and 18 wheelers. I'm sure at least one of the switchbacks is a 3 point turn for a bus.

I hope that didn't sound negative.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Yu0.... that's the way we up back in the mid 90's. My uncle loved screwing with my aunt on the way up... he'd get really close to the edge on her side and she would FLIP! It was hilarious! And yes, boats in tow.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

So funny I can totally see that. No effin way im towing up that though. Boat would get waaaayyy too dirty.

havasu5150

Reaction score

View attachment 969229
If that is 89....it is paved and wider now.