WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

From my Mustang to an AC Cobra, a build thread.

USClb41

Reaction score
I'm sorry thats happened to you. I was running 100 in a 75 down a country road in the middle of nowhere. The hospital where I landed was literally the only building on that road for 5 miles in either direction. It took 6 hours for a flatbed truck to get to me. You can't honestly tell me that none of you drive that fast down rice road. But ya, that one is on me.

Fast? yes. Irresponsible? I have to disagree with you.

As far as a lesson learned, this car is/was my single most prized possession in the world. I built it in highschool. Memories of my first love, first heartbreak, several heartbreaks after that, a friends death (non vehicle related) multiple times my sister has OD'd, a suicide attempt on her part as well, making and losing good friends, good and bad times with my family as it fell apart around me. It has moved with me from California to Florida, Florida to Arizona, Arizona back to California, and California to Texas. She has been the 1 constant in my life up until yesterday morning so you bet your ass im fucking devastated right now.

Lesson or not she likely saved my life yesterday morning because I dont know how the fuck my head didn't hit that pole that caved in my drivers door. But right now, I have a huge hole inside my soul because of this.
Huge hole in your soul because you crashed your car at 100 mph? Be thankful you’re alive and move on, it’s a car, lucky you didn’t kill someone, and no I don’t think many of us do 100 on Rice Road.

endobear

Reaction score
Went to high-school with a girl that was killed by a deer that came through the windshield of her VW Bug.

attitude

Reaction score
This is possibly the best outcome to hitting a deer, if the deer was standing up or jumping across the road you probably wouldn’t be alive to be pissed.

Also fox body parts are everywhere, if you already have thousands of hours of wrenching on that car I’m sure you could make it good as new with some more wrenching hours.

poncho

Reaction score
Feel very fortunate that the deer didn't come through the windshield and kill you. I would go buy some lotto tickets if I was you.
My father hit one in an MG when I was very young, tore him and the interior of the car up pretty good.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
This is possibly the best outcome to hitting a deer, if the deer was standing up or jumping across the road you probably wouldn’t be alive to be pissed.

Also fox body parts are everywhere, if you already have thousands of hours of wrenching on that car I’m sure you could make it good as new with some more wrenching hours.

The bodyunder the drivers door is caved in 8-12inches and the roof above is pushed in 2-3inches from hitting the sign. The unibody is severely compromised and she will never be safe to drive again. If it were just the damage from the deer on the front and under the car, I absolutely would, but as soon as I was put into that slide and left the road. It was game over

Short of cutting the bottom of the car out and placing the shell on a new pan and fixing the roof as well as replacing 3 of the 4 quarter panels and sourcing and entire skirt kit, new bumper, wheels, tires drivers door.... i don't see how its doable and it absolutely isn't feasible. It would be better to buy a fox roller and transfer all off Glorias parts to it. but right now, i dont think i can bring myself to build another foxbody. It would merely be an attempt to replace a car that is irreplaceable to me and not fair to her memory. Thats why I'm leaning towards a factory five car at the moment. She can live on through reinCARnation.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My father hit one in an MG when I was very young, tore him and the interior of the car up pretty good.

I can't imagine hitting a deer in an MG. But then again, I couldn't imagine hitting a deer at all until 2 nights ago. Anything lasting from that accident for your dad?

poncho

Reaction score
I can't imagine hitting a deer in an MG. But then again, I couldn't imagine hitting a deer at all until 2 nights ago. Anything lasting from that accident for your dad?
Broke bones in his face but for the most part completely healed. Story from when I was real young, Mom said I wanted to go with and for whatever reason she wouldn't allow it.
Probably something to do with a beer between his legs I'm guessing,

Wedgy

Reaction score
Shlbyntro, you sound like a good person of moral Character. I am a grouchy old Fuck. I can be blunt, and direct. My intial comment was in no way intended to imply that you are an irresponsible individual in general.

Only in this instance, you are pretty damn lucky to have survived unscathed. Wake up call. We all learn from our mistakes.

In this case, perhaps reckless, is a better fit.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The bodyunder the drivers door is caved in 8-12inches and the roof above is pushed in 2-3inches from hitting the sign. The unibody is severely compromised and she will never be safe to drive again. If it were just the damage from the deer on the front and under the car, I absolutely would, but as soon as I was put into that slide and left the road. It was game over

Short of cutting the bottom of the car out and placing the shell on a new pan and fixing the roof as well as replacing 3 of the 4 quarter panels and sourcing and entire skirt kit, new bumper, wheels, tires drivers door.... i don't see how its doable and it absolutely isn't feasible. It would be better to buy a fox roller and transfer all off Glorias parts to it. but right now, i dont think i can bring myself to build another foxbody. It would merely be an attempt to replace a car that is irreplaceable to me and not fair to her memory. Thats why I'm leaning towards a factory five car at the moment. She can live on through reinCARnation.
Have a friend(also on rdp)who got clipped on the rear corner by a speeding lane changer which sent him and his car over the center divider and headon into a minivan. This car meant everything to him as it was built the same month/year as he was born. After healing physically and emotionally he was able to locate a donor car and rebuilt it better than before.
Before you give up on your memories let some time pass and reevaluate the vehicle. It is a good time to repair and make some important upgrades that will enhance and start a whole new memory chain.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I hate those fucking road lice.
Ive got 3, all in my 2000 Tacoma I used to have. One of those red TRD extended cab 2 doors. Loved that truck.
I hit one of those bastards at 70 MPH in Utah at 4 AM headed the airport.
I swear that fucker flew 100’ cartwheeling.
Truck never even shut off. Glued the grill and headlight mounts back together later on.

I hate those god damned deer.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I hate those fucking road lice.
Ive got 3, all in my 2000 Tacoma I used to have. One of those red TRD extended cab 2 doors. Loved that truck.
I hit one of those bastards at 70 MPH in Utah at 4 AM headed the airport.
I swear that fucker flew 100’ cartwheeling.
Truck never even shut off. Glued the grill and headlight mounts back together later on.

I hate those god damned deer.
Around here those cornfed lice are pretty damn tasty from Grill to Grill.. LOL .

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Buy another fox roller shell and put your good stuff in it.

In other news, the soapboxers on RDP have never sped on public roads, always wear their helmets - even on bicycles, always wear their life jackets - even on dry land, never drink, and always carry their lanyards!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Buy another fox roller shell and put your good stuff in it.

In other news, the soapboxers on RDP have never sped on public roads, always wear their helmets - even on bicycles, always wear their life jackets - even on dry land, never drink, and always carry their lanyards!
I have my lanyard clipped on as I post!

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Welcome to Texas, now you know why everyone gets carried away with armor on the front of their trucks. That nice little cold front that lasted 10min set the deer off and the bucks will be chasing the does around for the next 3 months. Another fun thing that you may find on a dark road is a pig, lower center of gravity with 3 times the weight of a deer causes way more damage.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Welcome to Texas, now you know why everyone gets carried away with armor on the front of their trucks. That nice little cold front that lasted 10min set the deer off and the bucks will be chasing the does around for the next 3 months. Another fun thing that you may find on a dark road is a pig, lower center of gravity with 3 times the weight of a deer causes way more damage.

Point taken. I'd be lying if I said that the front of my truck didn't have bars and enough lights to light up a football field with an air horn to boot.

I'm making a trip up to the shop today to take stock of all the damage and confirm what I already know

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
A new chapter is starting.
Screenshot_20200916-212255_Chrome.jpg

A careful stock was taken of Gloria yesterday being that my nerves and emotions had finally begun to calm. There is no repairing her :( there is not a single panel alignment that did not change and move. The drivers side unibody frame section is sheered right behind the drivers seat and the entire left side of the car is horseshoed. The driver side front strut is bent and the rear suspension is collapsed. All 4 wheels took damage and the drivers side wheel is mangled. Front left, front right, and rear right 1/4 panels severely damaged. Front bumper skirt vaporized the the bumper behind it is laying in my trunk. The entire car is twisted out of square by nearly an inch. Passenger side lower control arm is literally bent in at the front. Drivers door more closely resembles a taco than a tostada. Fog lights and assembly are just plain gone, i think i found one globe out of all of it. GT skirt package obliterated. Front left tire blowout, right rear tire completely shredded.

Items survived: engine, cooling system, some of the exhaust, transmission, fuel system, all glass save for the drivers window, hood, bucket racing seats, some misc interior components, thats about it.

But a new chapter.... im sure ill find some way to memorialize Gloria in the new car.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I'm sorry thats happened to you. I was running 100 in a 75 down a country road in the middle of nowhere. The hospital where I landed was literally the only building on that road for 5 miles in either direction. It took 6 hours for a flatbed truck to get to me. You can't honestly tell me that none of you drive that fast down rice road. But ya, that one is on me.

Fast? yes. Irresponsible? I have to disagree with you.

As far as a lesson learned, this car is/was my single most prized possession in the world. I built it in highschool. Memories of my first love, first heartbreak, several heartbreaks after that, a friends death (non vehicle related) multiple times my sister has OD'd, a suicide attempt on her part as well, making and losing good friends, good and bad times with my family as it fell apart around me. It has moved with me from California to Florida, Florida to Arizona, Arizona back to California, and California to Texas. She has been the 1 constant in my life up until yesterday morning so you bet your ass im fucking devastated right now.

Lesson or not she likely saved my life yesterday morning because I dont know how the fuck my head didn't hit that pole that caved in my drivers door. But right now, I have a huge hole inside my soul because of this.
Shit happens
Hindsight is always 20/20
Always going to be people that can do no wrong and give you a bad time (try wrapping a Ferrari around a tree at 90 )
Glad you are ok and as much as it hurts to lose the car it’s not the end of the world
Also even if it’s totaled it doesn’t you need to
Any thing is fixable

well almost anything

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Shit happens
Hindsight is always 20/20
Always going to be people that can do no wrong and give you a bad time (try wrapping a Ferrari around a tree at 90 )
Glad you are ok and as much as it hurts to lose the car it’s not the end of the world
Also even if it’s totaled it doesn’t you need to
Any thing is fixable

well almost anything

Unfortunately, im not talking about the cost of the repair vs the assessed value. By totalled im saying that I'd have to replace more than half the car to make it right again, at which point it is no longer my car, just a duplicate I built using some of her old parts. One day, I will build another Fox, but it will be years before I'll even start to think about it.

Her surviving parts will be getting rolled into the new Cobra.

SnoC653

Reaction score
Glad you're ok. I was amazed by how little deer damage there was to the car, until I realized it was a Texas deer. A real dear at that speed would have taken the engine and pushed it back into your lap. All things considered you were very lucky and now get to build a new project just the way you want it. Good luck!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
All That BBK shit needs to go haha.
Fuel injection is going completely. Its getting swapped out for a Ford Racing dual plane manifold and a Quickfuel 650 double pumper. All new procomp ignition too. The longblock will be getting dressed in 60s Ford colors with new Shelby/Cobra air cleaner and valve covers. The shorty headers are being swapped out for long tubes direct to the side pipes.

calkid

Reaction score
If that doe had been standing it could have been a much different story. It could have been someone else starting the story with, I had this friend that hit a deer.............

calkid

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. My wife totaled her new Tesla yesterday but she is fine. She shed a lot of tears though. If you like to drive fast, better buy a safer car. Wife’s Tesla actually deployed an air bag at her feet. That’s just crazy. Then Tesla called her and said we know you have been in an accident, are you alright 😳. Be safe brutha. It only takes one time.

No buying after market parts for the Tesla. My friend got T-Boned in his and it went back to the factory for repairs. He survived but with pretty major injuries. Glad your Wife came through without injury, major accidents can be very traumatic regardless.

Javajoe

Reaction score
No buying after market parts for the Tesla. My friend got T-Boned in his and it went back to the factory for repairs. He survived but with pretty major injuries. Glad your Wife came through without injury, major accidents can be very traumatic regardless.
Yep she was a mess emotionally. Tesla is back and all is good. Thanks. Hope your friend makes a good recovery

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Today officially marked the end of an era in my world and at the same time the beginning of a new chapter. Bitter sweet for sure. View attachment 943075 View attachment 943076 View attachment 943077 View attachment 943078 View attachment 943079 View attachment 943080
It is truly sad, but cool that it's being moved forward...like the organ donor sticker on my license. A guy I used to run with had a healthy 5.0 swap, all the goodies from the heads to Paxton. He wadded up, as most of us have. The car sat for a few years before being parted out...he now has the motor in a long travel sand car.
Hot rodders were the first recyclers, and we still reuse what we can ;)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
It is truly sad, but cool that it's being moved forward...like the organ donor sticker on my license. A guy I used to run with had a healthy 5.0 swap, all the goodies from the heads to Paxton. He wadded up, as most of us have. The car sat for a few years before being parted out...he now has the motor in a long travel sand car.
Hot rodders were the first recyclers, and we still reuse what we can ;)

Well said!

There's also already a giant box of new parts sitting in my office. Everything for the engine save the new valve covers is already here. I even went as far as ordering a complete set of Stewart Warners for the car with the reverse sweeping speedo. Car is due to hit the freight truck early next month.

I think the body/paint work is going to be the most grueling part. Mechanical, I have a feeling is going to go extremely fast.

SnoC653

Reaction score
Fuel injection is going completely. Its getting swapped out for a Ford Racing dual plane manifold and a Quickfuel 650 double pumper. All new procomp ignition too. The longblock will be getting dressed in 60s Ford colors with new Shelby/Cobra air cleaner and valve covers. The shorty headers are being swapped out for long tubes direct to the side pipes.

Hang on to your injection system. A complete SEFI set with pump, ecu and everything is getting harder and harder to find. Been half heartedly looking a complete set and A4OD for my 76 Bronco.

Dettom

Reaction score
I just wrecked my first car tonight. Hit a deer tonight doing about 100 according to my cluster. I took it head on and it lifted me up off the ground. I then slid sideways for about 1/4 mile, at one point into a trench and then back out. Pretty sure I tagged a sign with my drivers door at some point too before coming to a stop. In of all places, a hospital parking lot. Im covered in glass and pretty pissed off right now. A whole lot of memories died tonight.

The mother fucker was just lying down in the middle of the highway. Fully alert and shit.
View attachment 921350 View attachment 921351 View attachment 921352 View attachment 921353 View attachment 921354 View attachment 921355 View attachment 921356
If you were on a motorcycle, your next of kin would had to write this.

JD D05

Reaction score
If you were on a motorcycle, your next of kin would had to write this.

I have a friend that hit a deer on his motorcycle at high speed and survived than like 1 month later after he recovered hit another deer on the same road going slower and was fine again.

JD D05

Reaction score
I'd quit driving that road at that point

Ya for sure. I drive it everyday and have my whole life. Years ago before all the development you would see dead deer everytime you drove it.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Well said!

There's also already a giant box of new parts sitting in my office. Everything for the engine save the new valve covers is already here. I even went as far as ordering a complete set of Stewart Warners for the car with the reverse sweeping speedo. Car is due to hit the freight truck early next month.

I think the body/paint work is going to be the most grueling part. Mechanical, I have a feeling is going to go extremely fast.

That's awesome! I was seriously considering getting the Factory 5 cobra kit. But instead got a Can Am X3 instead. So the family could enjoy some fun too. :rolleyes:

You should start a thread when you get the kit to show the build.

Best of luck with it!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's awesome! I was seriously considering getting the Factory 5 cobra kit. But instead got a Can Am X3 instead. So the family could enjoy some fun too. :rolleyes:

You should start a thread when you get the kit to show the build.

Best of luck with it!

This is to be the thread.

I just learned today that there is no real good way ixnay the power steering on the engine and retain the rest of my accessories as they are. I just now finished a build sheet to do this "simple" job.

As it turns out, nobody manufactures a delete kit to do so which means my only option is a new "alternator only" pully kit which will turn the water pump the other direction. No big deal right? Wrong!🤬🤬🤬 Sbf water pumps are directional so i need to buy a new water pump. Oh but guess what, the timing covers are directional too so add a timing cover to the list. Is that it, nope. Now the flex light fan is spinning the wrong direction as well. I Guess I'm adding an electric rad fan kit too.

Just like that, "bust out another thousand"😰😰😰

Small teaser
20201116_192800.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I hit a Deer (a 3x4 Buck) a couple weeks ago up in the Trinity Alps in Shasta County. I've been driving in deer country all my life, and have never hit one before. I've had a couple close calls, but never hit one.

Luckily, I wasn't going fast and my car was drivable afterwards. I was in a remote area and had no cell service at the time.

20201028_110743.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

poncho

Reaction score
This is to be the thread.

I just learned today that there is no real good way ixnay the power steering on the engine and retain the rest of my accessories as they are. I just now finished a build sheet to do this "simple" job.

As it turns out, nobody manufactures a delete kit to do so which means my only option is a new "alternator only" pully kit which will turn the water pump the other direction. No big deal right? Wrong!🤬🤬🤬 Sbf water pumps are directional so i need to buy a new water pump. Oh but guess what, the timing covers are directional too so add a timing cover to the list. Is that it, nope. Now the flex light fan is spinning the wrong direction as well. I Guess I'm adding an electric rad fan kit too.

Just like that, "bust out another thousand"😰😰😰

Small teaser View attachment 943473
Factory Fives factory is in my town i cross path's with those guy's now and then. The primary owner is a well known engineering guru, some trick stuff goes on in that building.
I had money down on this one but pulled out and going a different direction, belongs to a good friend and it's not going anywhere if i change my mind.
Look forward to following along with the build.
20190504_152759[1].jpg