WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fry's Electronics.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Announced they are closing and will be working with customers to arrange details for pick up of items being repaired. There was no information of their Online operation. I always enjoyed their Stereo Listening Rooms and just walking around and "Window Shopping" in general. The online Business has changed Brick and Mortar for ever and soon will be nothing to compare to.🤔

Andy B.

Reaction score
That sucks I'm sure with the bullshit pandemic the loss of foot traffic didn't help......

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
This has been expected for over 2 years. they do not restock and heard they do not pay their suppliers. I wonder who gets the cool decor items?

Reactions: DWC

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
I worked for Fry’s in the late 90’s to mid 2000’s it WAS a great company to work for. Pay was great and I even made management. Hours were long but good pay. Some sales people were making 6 figures. It went all down hill after Umar Siddiqqui embezzled millions from the company. Guy was a arrogant jerk. After that mess vendors didn’t trust Frys anymore and the company just started to crumble.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
They were a giant, well stocked and equipped version od RadioShack. Used to get terminals, connectors and misc stuff for car builds when I was in Cali. Sad to see them go, even if I hadn't been there in years. I still get stuff from a local supplier...I don't like waiting on shipping.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Good guys , circuit city, now frys . Can’t go check out anything before you buy anymore.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Fry‘s was a great place for me during the 90’s and 2000. It was my go to for parts to build servers and workstations for our compAny. There was nothing like it in Hawaii and I’d plan to pick up things on each trip in the early days. Once things were stable in the computing world I‘d just walk the isles on my trips looking at the current trends. The last couple of years you could see that they were having issues. Stores shelves were not stocked and what was there was really in rough shape. It is not a surprise but it is sad to see it go.

by the way while in Phoenix last month I saw a Fry’s Food. Logo looked the same font. Is that the direction they went into?

Singleton

Reaction score
Good guys , circuit city, now frys . Can’t go check out anything before you buy anymore.

Getting harder and harder to physically looks at something before purchase.
Plus harder to purchase same day. When my WiFi router broke, I did not have days to wait, needed it within hours so I could work. Moving more and more to local family owned businesses, but most of those will not continue when the current generation passes the business down. Very sad :(

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Used to hit Fry's in Kearny Mesa when on business trips. Lots of products not carried in my area that I enjoyed looking at or purchasing and having it shipped back. Last trip a couple of years ago I noticed the decline, sad. :(

RodnJen

Reaction score

This is true and not just in consumer electronics. Fewer and fewer places carry inventory. We are working toward a light home remodel and trying to find quality that you can view and inspect is difficult.

Taboma

Reaction score
Used to hit Fry's in Kearny Mesa when on business trips. Lots of products not carried in my area that I enjoyed looking at or purchasing and having it shipped back. Last trip a couple of years ago I noticed the decline, sad. :(

When Fry's San Marcos opened, it was awesome. Had those huge Jacob's ladder columns with lightning climbing and arcing outside the entrance, really cool stuff.
The huge aquariums inside, was a really fun place to shop.
That store rocked for several years, and slowly but steadily, shelves were not being re-stocked, got dirty feeling inside, and other than finding those impossible to find electronics items, the nearby Best Buy was by far a more inviting environment.

I'll always shop local and support those businesses, large or small, I like to touch before I buy and I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for that privilege.
In almost every case, if somebody is willing to stock it locally, I'll buy it locally.
BUT if I arrive, and there's nothing to see, and all they have to offer is, "We can order it for you" --- no Sorry, I've got my online purchasing needs addressed.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Fry‘s was a great place for me during the 90’s and 2000. It was my go to for parts to build servers and workstations for our compAny. There was nothing like it in Hawaii and I’d plan to pick up things on each trip in the early days. Once things were stable in the computing world I‘d just walk the isles on my trips looking at the current trends. The last couple of years you could see that they were having issues. Stores shelves were not stocked and what was there was really in rough shape. It is not a surprise but it is sad to see it go.

by the way while in Phoenix last month I saw a Fry’s Food. Logo looked the same font. Is that the direction they went into?
Frys in yuma of fortuna (grocery store) is freaking awesome. Always clean, good deli, wish all stores were that great.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Frys food is part of the Kroger family...Ralphs, Smiths, etc.
Screenshot_20210224-092923_Chrome.jpg

Cdog

Reaction score
Fry's grocery is Kroger/Ralphs grocery store chain in AZ. Not affiliated with the electronic store. We have two of them here in AZ. Tempe off the 10 and Phx off the 17.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
When the Fry's opened in Burbank it was a HUGE deal! I remember waiting in line to get in. between the Mars attacks-like décor and the lines to get in and all, it really felt like you were at an amusement park. It was awesome! Then the prices started to be a bit more than everywhere else, then the cleanliness of the store started slipping (REALLY apparent with all the Martians and other décor around), empty shelves, etc. The last time I went in there was about 4 years ago and they had all of about 3 computers for sale in the entire computer department. Pretty sad and pathetic really. I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It was always cheaper at Frys to buy a new printer than buy ink cartridges.
Always liked shopping there.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Frys in yuma of fortuna (grocery store) is freaking awesome. Always clean, good deli, wish all stores were that great.
Still thriving, still be with us.
Frys gas stations too.

Reaction score

fry's grocery and fry's electronics was founded by the same family...

Charles Lindbergh Fry, who started Fry's Food Stores with his brother in 1955 in Contra Costa County, and whose sons would go on to start the San Jose chain Fry's Electronics, died Monday. He was 92.

PlanB

Reaction score
When Fry's San Marcos opened, it was awesome. Had those huge Jacob's ladder columns with lightning climbing and arcing outside the entrance, really cool stuff.
The huge aquariums inside, was a really fun place to shop.
That store rocked for several years, and slowly but steadily, shelves were not being re-stocked, got dirty feeling inside, and other than finding those impossible to find electronics items, the nearby Best Buy was by far a more inviting environment.

I'll always shop local and support those businesses, large or small, I like to touch before I buy and I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for that privilege.
In almost every case, if somebody is willing to stock it locally, I'll buy it locally.
BUT if I arrive, and there's nothing to see, and all they have to offer is, "We can order it for you" --- no Sorry, I've got my online purchasing needs addressed.

They also had a coffee shop and little food court inside. It was definitely a cool place when it opened.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hugeee building in san marcos. Thats going to be empty a very very long time.
Prob end up being indoor storage or something.

Im surprised they made it this long.
Might be some sales this week

ltbaney1

Reaction score
you so cal guys try MarVac in costa mesa or JK in westminister for connectors and what not. the guys at both of those options are way more helpful than anyone at frys. i wouldnt step foot in frys unless i knew exactly what i needed.