WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuel cooler

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Can a marine oil cooler be used as a fuel cooler?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
They make marine fuel coolers. My dads old boat with 1100 hp had one.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think it would be kinda large and overkill? They do make small fuel chillers

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I think it would be kinda large and overkill? They do make small fuel chillers

I’m actually having problems finding a fuel one. Find some stupid Mercury one that will not work and was meant to have a regulator and pump attached. But I can find plenty of small oil coolers

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Can a marine oil cooler be used as a fuel cooler?
I'm looking into this as well. I have the goofy VST system on the formula and it will vapor lock on a hot day. Aaron at absolute had an idea once, it was a small cooler and aeromotive filter but I can't remember much details past that. Might be worth a call to absolute

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

petie6464

Reaction score
A fuel cooler will not help prevent vapor lock, think about it vapor lock happens when the engine is off and the engines heat sink effect cause the vapor lock.

Cool fuel increases it's density in theory and was the buzz in the dark ages of pro stock drag racing, in a pleasure boat I would spend the money and effort into an upgraded ice chest to keep my beers cold.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A fuel cooler will not help prevent vapor lock, think about it vapor lock happens when the engine is off and the engines heat sink effect cause the vapor lock.

Cool fuel increases it's density in theory and was the buzz in the dark ages of pro stock drag racing, in a pleasure boat I would spend the money and effort into an upgraded ice chest to keep my beers cold.

He’s going to be pushing around a shitload more fuel than a carbed engine, and that will heat up the fuel quite a bit so he’s starting at a disadvantage.

@Blackmagic94 I’d insulate the supply line from the surge tank to the engine for sure, and also where you place the regulator will probably be important, and running the return back to the main tank may be what you want to do.

azsunfun

Reaction score
just friction from fuel travel and pump would increase temp, there are calculators if your looking for flow, water temp, etc

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
With all the boost n parts yore throwing at it why not run E85 or methanol

73mandella

Reaction score
found this

Attachments

• fuel cooler.jpg
    fuel cooler.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 124

rrrr

Reaction score
It sounds like a solid idea to me. If you read his earlier posts about the fuel system, it's going to gain heat during normal operation.

The Mr Gasket fuel chiller posted above is an ice can, good for ¼ mile runs but not a day on the lake. Running a fuel heat exchanger plumbed with lake water will provide fuel to the engine at a temperature far below its vapor pressure.

An intercooler reduces the temperature of the charge air entering the engine, and would do nothing to ameliorate the heat gain in the fuel going to the pump and injectors.

petie6464

Reaction score
He’s going to be pushing around a shitload more fuel than a carbed engine, and that will heat up the fuel quite a bit so he’s starting at a disadvantage.

@Blackmagic94 I’d insulate the supply line from the surge tank to the engine for sure, and also where you place the regulator will probably be important, and running the return back to the main tank may be what you want to do.

I get that but once it sits and heat soaks it won't matter.

Like putting a lower thermostat in your car, it may buy you a little time but not fix the problem.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
if you're running EFI then isolating the fuel rails from the hot intake manifold will lower the temp of the fuel dramatically. You can remount the rails using delrin, teflon, or phenolic material. I did on my roots blower setup and it dropped the temp of the fuel by 40 degrees.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Vapor lock is a near impossibility with his planned fuel setup of an in-tank fuel pump in the surge tank. However I'm still not against the use of a fuel cooler and an oil cooler will work just fine, they are designed to handle at least 80psi all day long after all. The only downside is the introduction of a couple extra possible leak points that will need to be periodically checked for leaks with all the others.

As for the vapor locking VST system, the best and most effective fix would be the use of a low pressure boost pump installed as close to the fuel pickup on the fuel tank as possible. Make sure it is marine rated and you use some style of compression hose fittings all the way on the pressurized side of the fuel pump, and do not pump through the mechanical diaphram pump. This pump should be removed and the drive hole blocked off. Legally the electric pump needs to have an automatic shut off should the engine stop running (like an oil psi switch, or it can be tied into the same source that powers the high pressure fuel pump inside the VST tank)

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

you know I’m gonna heat wrap it lol

but yeah all that pumping is gonna raise temps and a hot day isn’t gonna help. If Mercury does it on a 496 then I need it as well. But even more

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
With all the boost n parts yore throwing at it why not run E85 or methanol

I have methanol injection already. The concern is over heating the fuel from 3 pumps on a hot day not having it sit off

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I don’t remember you running an intercooler? I always ran one on my blower motors and never felt I needed to cool my fuel. That’s asphalt racing stuff. Why not use the lake as my ice box.

If you’re into compounding as many challenges as possible then this fuel cooling deal is right up your alley.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I don’t remember you running an intercooler? I always ran one on my blower motors and never felt I needed to cool my fuel. That’s asphalt racing stuff. Why not use the lake as my ice box.

If you’re into compounding as many challenges as possible then this fuel cooling deal is right up your alley.

Lol water meth injection is my intercooler.

the blower has nothing to do with me wanting not to over heat the fuel via 3 fuel pumps other then BSFC. Even Mercury runs fuel coolers on their oem motors so this is not some nasa type idea.

Oem Mercury v8

Oil cooler
Power steering cooler
Fuel cooler
Coolant heat exchanger

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
So last year in Powell my buddies 2007 Tige would vapor lock when we went no wake speed. We ran the blower and lifted the engine hatch to vent it and it solved the problem. This was a mid July trip.

Getting ready for Powell this year we did a full service on it. We changed out the fuel filter and found it probably had never been done. In taking it apart I found out that it is water cooled. A line runs from the fresh water pump to the bottom of the fuel filter canister and to the low pressure pump which has copper line that coils around the bowl.

The water inlet to the fuel seperator was clogged. So no water was circulating through the filter canister nor the low pressure pump. I hope this will solve the vapor lock issue.

SmartSelect_20210605-210802_WhatsApp.jpg
SmartSelect_20210605-210739_Gallery.jpg

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
Intercooler is the way to go!!! How many other blown gas guys run a fuel cooler???? None that I know of, buy that and be done, I run almost 1400hp without a fuel cooler and have never had 1 issue, valves never move, oil is always the same, be done with it and buy a chiller... you'll never look back...

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Intercooler is the way to go!!! How many other blown gas guys run a fuel cooler???? None that I know of, buy that and be done, I run almost 1400hp without a fuel cooler and have never had 1 issue, valves never move, oil is always the same, be done with it and buy a chiller... you'll never look back...
I’m failing to see how an intercooler is gonna prevent hot fuel? I’m not concerned about air charge temperatures because of the fuel. You understand that meth/water injection drops almost 100 degrees out of the charge temps.

I’m concerned about making fuel pumps run cool and not die from over heating and ruining my day on the water

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
if you're running EFI then isolating the fuel rails from the hot intake manifold will lower the temp of the fuel dramatically. You can remount the rails using delrin, teflon, or phenolic material. I did on my roots blower setup and it dropped the temp of the fuel by 40 degrees.

Any pics of this? I run two spacers 4150 1” phenolic spacers currently and am switching to super sniper 4x2 efi.

I was also thinking that having the jet feed the fuel cooler first, oil cooler next then the engine to get the engine temps a bit higher to try and get closer to the 160’deg temps the sniper wants to control idle outside of cold start.

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
I’m failing to see how an intercooler is gonna prevent hot fuel? I’m not concerned about air charge temperatures because of the fuel. You understand that meth/water injection drops almost 100 degrees out of the charge temps.

I’m concerned about making fuel pumps run cool and not die from over heating and ruining my day on the water

My question is why is all this needed? Makes me wonder if I set my boat up wrong.... did I miss something??? Usually you set your tune on the dyno unless I missed something???

Dalton

Reaction score
My question is why is all this needed? Makes me wonder if I set my boat up wrong.... did I miss something??? Usually you set your tune on the dyno unless I missed something???

He got a blower for cheap and threw it on a stock long block (maybe cast pistons) and trying to make it live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest hs

Reaction score
He got a blower for cheap and threw it on a stock long block (maybe cast pistons) and trying to make it live

Sounds about right. Way over engineering this thing!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

I said why I am doing it. You are worlds off. Did you patent the jump to conclusion mat yet?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

How does cold fuel make an engine last longer. Love to hear this logic lol.

farmo83

Reaction score
Do any of stock NA Mercury motors come with a fuel cooler ? I've never known anyone with an EFI setup to have a vapor lock issue.

That having been said Alexi put one on my boat for insurance was the way he put it.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

the blower has nothing to do with me wanting not to over heat the fuel via 3 fuel pumps other then BSFC. Even Mercury runs fuel coolers on their oem motors so this is not some nasa type idea.

Oem Mercury v8

Oil cooler
Power steering cooler
Fuel cooler
Coolant heat exchanger

Oem Mercury v8

Oil cooler
Power steering cooler
Fuel cooler
Coolant heat exchanger

However you want to over engineer this thing have at it. It’ll make a very interesting thread. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the why on a 70mph boat?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
However you want to over engineer this thing have at it. It’ll make a very interesting thread. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the why on a 70mph boat?

What makes you think i want to only run 70s?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
In that hull? I’m all ears lol

I was told that 60s was a brick wall for that hull by a few members over a year ago.

And debating the speed of the hull has zero merit on the current conversation of a fuel cooler.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do any of stock NA Mercury motors come with a fuel cooler ? I've never known anyone with an EFI setup to have a vapor lock issue.

That having been said Alexi put one on my boat for insurance was the way he put it.

a lot of Merc motors have vapor lock issues in certain climates.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
How does cold fuel make an engine last longer. Love to hear this logic lol.
Well, if the cooler fuel lowered the discharge temp of the blower (which it can to some extent, as the colder fuel atomizes with the inlet air lowering inlet temps), and that small change happens to bring the motor back from the brink of detonation...........
I guess that would be the logic!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Well, if the cooler fuel lowered the discharge temp of the blower (which it can to some extent, as the colder fuel atomizes with the air), and that brings the motor back from the brink of detonation...........
I guess that would be the logic!

Thats a bit of a stretch lol

And again not even why I am pondering this method at all