WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuel cooler

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I was told that 60s was a brick wall for that hull by a few members over a year ago.

They’ll do faster just not safely. You have a catastrophic failure and they can bow steer and pitch you... or wrap you up under the deck.

There’s a very real reason why you don’t see small v hull jet botes trying to run a number without a bunch of bottom work and safety items like a ratchets and pop offs.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
a lot of Merc motors have vapor lock issues in certain climates.

Exactly

Also my engine temps are pretty cold during running and I would actually like to get a bit higher for a few reasons so what I am planning on doing is this now

My logic is the minor waste heat from the fuel then to oil will raise the temp a few degrees before it hits the engine
317FD159-4A1E-4861-8C6F-54217AE222D5.jpeg

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
They’ll do faster just not safely. You have a catastrophic failure and they can bow steer and pitch you... or wrap you up under the deck.

There’s a very real reason why you don’t see small v hull jet botes trying to run a number without a bunch of bottom work and safety items like a ratchets and pop offs.

Ill agree with that after all 1 of those items is required for 100 plus in NJBA regardless of who made the hull, safety be safety

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You run 3 fuel pumps?

I am in the process of doing that for the EFI, look at my other thread, lift pump to surge tank with dual intank 255lph pumps, one primary and a secondary pump that will come on with boost

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
1623084721113.png

Copper tube on top is a small heat exchanger that I made by running a 1/2" tube inside a 1" tube. Fittings on the sides are fuel in and out and fittings on top are lake water in and out. Exchanger is about 24" long.
I'm probably not going to generating the same kind of heat that your fuel system will but you could just upsize the cooler idea or even make it a multipath to handle your needs.

Last edited:

Yoshiro

Reaction score
My Whipple kit for my 496HO came with an in line fuel cooler that fit the 1.25" cooling hose. It is about 6" long, 2" dia, and looks just like an oil cooler. It goes on the return side of the fuel system.

Attachments

• fuel cooler.jpg
    fuel cooler.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 75

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
My Whipple kit for my 496HO came with an in line fuel cooler that fit the 1.25" cooling hose. It is about 6" long, 2" dia, and looks just like an oil cooler. It goes on the return side of the fuel system.
You got a part number

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Exactly

Also my engine temps are pretty cold during running and I would actually like to get a bit higher for a few reasons so what I am planning on doing is this now

My logic is the minor waste heat from the fuel then to oil will raise the temp a few degrees before it hits the engine View attachment 1010866

the only thing I would do it place the fuel cooler in front of the oil cooler. Less chance to add heat to the fuel on long runs.

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
There's a few available on Summit that have a send / return port to be plumbed with water. Not sure if the fuel line size works for you though

wzuber

Reaction score
Does the exchanger know what it’s cooling, probably not... lol
I don’t remember you running an intercooler? I always ran one on my blower motors and never felt I needed to cool my fuel. That’s asphalt racing stuff. Why not use the lake as my ice box.

If you’re into compounding as many challenges as possible then this fuel cooling deal is right up your alley.
Lol...he's gonna need to drag a dingy around to hold all the chit he want's to utilize to push that ditch pump 70mph..😂😂😂

white tortilla

Reaction score
@Blackmagic94 i have read a few threads you have posted here in regards to your jet boat. I’d say it seems like you like to do things the hard way. It’s interesting to watch and goodluck. Definitely seem to have creative ideas but definitely not the most time/cost effective.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
@Blackmagic94 i have read a few threads you have posted here in regards to your jet boat. I’d say it seems like you like to do things the hard way. It’s interesting to watch and goodluck. Definitely seem to have creative ideas but definitely not the most time/cost effective.

Easy doesnt mean right

I converted my turbo mustang to E85 and GM coil on plug igntion on a SBF engine back in 2006, there was nothing easy about blazing that trail back then

wzuber

Reaction score
Only the most limiting part......solid..lol

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Not gonna work. It has push on fuel fittings and I need threaded for AN lines

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Yore surge tank has a pretty large opening on top...make a coil of copper line a bit larger in diameter than the fuel pump and shove it in there...use bulkhead fittings if you don’t wanna weld...use aluminum line if you do wanna weld. Run cold water through the coil.

But, if performance is your final goal...instead of complexity, you’d have a faster boat pulling all that bullshit off and going back to single carb, putting a proper Berkeley/dominator intake in it with a ride plate and a shoe and playing with different loader/shoe/ride plate/wedge/nozzle setups.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Yore surge tank has a pretty large opening on top...make a coil of copper line a bit larger in diameter than the fuel pump and shove it in there...use bulkhead fittings if you don’t wanna weld...use aluminum line if you do wanna weld. Run cold water through the coil.

But, if performance is your final goal...instead of complexity, you’d have a faster boat pulling all that bullshit off and going back to single carb, putting a proper Berkeley/dominator intake in it with a ride plate and a shoe and playing with different loader/shoe/ride plate/wedge/nozzle setups.

the fuel pumps and heat are being generated right there so no room to do that and the heat is being generated right there. I would plum a cooler on the return to main tanks so the it cools the fuel then returns to the main volume and later gets pumped back to the efi pumps and sump. The less it recycles then longer it should take to change heat

why would I run a single carb on a blower?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

This.
That’s what I was thinking. Most of the cooler is already there. Cut the top of the tank open. Build yore cooling coils. Drop in tank, drop in pumps. The only thing added is some fittings. If you want more put heat sinks on the can.
BC9FDBAA-B916-4B09-A30C-9F7D6311055A.jpeg

oldschool

Reaction score
This.
That’s what I was thinking. Most of the cooler is already there. Cut the top of the tank open. Build yore cooling coils. Drop in tank, drop in pumps. The only thing added is some fittings. If you want more put heat sinks on the can.
View attachment 1011167
That is the definition of a clusterfuck.

guest hs

Reaction score
Your going to need a bigger boat to put all this stuff in!

69hondo

Reaction score
That’s the one I said that bolts a regulator on it. Cool design. Won’t work for anything but oem

oK, I run this one with my setup. the regulator port just runs up to an Aeromotive regulator removed from the cooler.

oldschool

Reaction score
What’s that one

I’ve once filled 26.2 gallons total but I’m assuming they are basically 12-12.5 gallons each x2
I’m don’t think you’ll end up with much of a cooling effect once that fuel returns to saddle tanks. Do you have an idea of the temp increase from the pumps? I don’t see where the juice is worth the squeeze.