WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuel gauge question

j-bone

Reaction score
So I've got a 2005 Carrera 257 Party Effect. It has dual 35 gallon tanks. It has a fuel switch and one fuel gauge. When the I switch from one tank to the other, the fuel gauge adjusts to the tank being used. Unfortunately, the gauge is wrong on both tanks. I have run out of gas in one tank when it registers 3/4. I would really like to have an accurate gauge. When I had the problem checked out, I was told the sending units were fine, and that it was the fuel valve that was the problem.

So, my question is can I just add another fuel gauge so I could the level of gas in each tank at all times. I was thinking if the sending units are fine, the gauges could be wired directly to the tanks. Or is the only option to replace the valve.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So I've got a 2005 Carrera 257 Party Effect. It has dual 35 gallon tanks. It has a fuel switch and one fuel gauge. When the I switch from one tank to the other, the fuel gauge adjusts to the tank being used. Unfortunately, the gauge is wrong on both tanks. I have run out of gas in one tank when it registers 3/4. I would really like to have an accurate gauge. When I had the problem checked out, I was told the sending units were fine, and that it was the fuel valve that was the problem.

So, my question is can I just add another fuel gauge so I could the level of gas in each tank at all times. I was thinking if the sending units are fine, the gauges could be wired directly to the tanks. Or is the only option to replace the valve.

I don't see why you could not. However if you have a valve that switches between tanks, and one part of it has gone bad....I'd replace the valve and fix it right before something happens on the water.

j-bone

Reaction score
I don't see why you could not. However if you have a valve that switches between tanks, and one part of it has gone bad....I'd replace the valve and fix it right before something happens on the water.
The valve switches fuel fine and does not leak. It just isn't sending accurate fuel levels to the gauge. I talked to Imco and they are sending me a micro processor. It is the only thing in the valve that could be causing the problem. If that isn't it, it is either the sending units or resistance in the wires.

TBulger

Reaction score
I've had trouble with fuel gauges on every boat I've owned. Sometimes they work fine, next time out they don't. Understand the boat bounces around a lot more than a car, but they even fail to register correct while sitting on the trailer level. Any idea why they can't work like in the car?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I use a ski flag on one boat, and a pvc pipe on the other, to 'stick' the tanks.
I know this wont work on all boats. If it doesn't work on your boat, sell the boat.
They are marked accordingly, too.
FK them fuel gauges. They're never right, if they work.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I've had trouble with fuel gauges on every boat I've owned. Sometimes they work fine, next time out they don't. Understand the boat bounces around a lot more than a car, but they even fail to register correct while sitting on the trailer level. Any idea why they can't work like in the car?

Keep in mind that in a car the sender is typically perpendicular to the ground. The float pivots about the sending unit.

In a boat, the angle of the sender changes with the boat floating vs on the trailer. Unless the tank is packed full of fuel, you generally wont have a consistent fuel reading on the water vs on the trailer.

With half a tank of gas, go park your car on a hill, you'll generally see a change in fuel level on the gauge.

On top of all of this, these are not OE style senders and gauges.. all of this stuff is effectively aftermarket stuff that you might put in a kit car or hot rod. It is very generic stuff.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The valve switches fuel fine and does not leak. It just isn't sending accurate fuel levels to the gauge. I talked to Imco and they are sending me a micro processor. It is the only thing in the valve that could be causing the problem. If that isn't it, it is either the sending units or resistance in the wires.

There is a microproccesor in that thing?

I'd switch that out when you get a new one, but if it is still wonky, I don't see why you could not just run both senders up to the gauge and bypass the switching valve. You could run a switch near the gauge to switch between sender signals if you did not want to install 2 gauges.

j-bone

Reaction score
There is a microproccesor in that thing?

I'd switch that out when you get a new one, but if it is still wonky, I don't see why you could not just run both senders up to the gauge and bypass the switching valve. You could run a switch near the gauge to switch between sender signals if you did not want to install 2 gauges.

Micro processor might not be the right name. It is an electrical component the takes the reading from the sending units and send it to the gauge. I'm getting one shipped to me for about $4 and it is a bolt on repair.

As far as your idea to run the senders to the gauge and using a switch, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll look into that. I wouldn't even mind adding a second gauge so I could see both tank levels.

J