WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuel injection tuner in inland empire?

69hondo

Reaction score
Anyone point me to a fuel injection tuner in the inland empire? Still having some issues and need someone who knows what they are looking at to tell me whats going on. I have been looking at the these programs but I dont really know how to use them and I dont want to make anything worse. LOL

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Anyone point me to a fuel injection tuner in the inland empire? Still having some issues and need someone who knows what they are looking at to tell me whats going on. I have been looking at the these programs but I dont really know how to use them and I dont want to make anything worse. LOL

Did anything mechanically change on the new motor setup, besides rebuilding it?

CBM is out there, they most likely tune older MEFI stuff as they do sand cars . Difficulty is that to truly dial the boat in, it should be data logged under load (in the water), or by somebody who has a propshaft dyno. Unless you wanna yank the motor and take it to a dyno shop that tunes MEFI. Otherwise, its a flash tune based on other stuff that is "similar" to you combo, and it's only gonna be so close.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Westech in Mira Loma

69hondo

Reaction score
Did anything mechanically change on the new motor setup, besides rebuilding it?

CBM is out there, they most likely tune older MEFI stuff as they do sand cars . Difficulty is that to truly dial the boat in, it should be data logged under load (in the water), or by somebody who has a propshaft dyno. Unless you wanna yank the motor and take it to a dyno shop that tunes MEFI. Otherwise, its a flash tune based on other stuff that is "similar" to you combo, and it's only gonna be so close.

Nothing changed just a freshening. Bearings, rings and oil pump.

69hondo

Reaction score
what platform and ecu are we talking about here?

99 454 mag mpi with mefi 4. The tune is not stock. Still utilizes stock manifold but entire fuel system is not stock if that matters.

sintax

Reaction score
two emails and a phone call, still no answer. Same with the EFI store. Everyone is so busy they dont need any more business. LOL

yea, middle of the season is never a good time to go looking for work. I'd still keep trying Alexi though.

69hondo

Reaction score
What issues are you having specifically?

Seems to be over fueling. Fouling plugs coming out of the hole. cleans up some time's once its on plane but not always. If it does clean up once I get past 3/4 throttle it fouls a cylinder again.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Seems to be over fueling. Fouling plugs coming out of the hole. cleans up some time's once its on plane but not always. If it does clean up once I get past 3/4 throttle it fouls a cylinder again.

Did you have the injectors cleaned and flowbenched?

You would be SHOCKED how bad those old injectors flow after 10+ years, Some of them stick open, some get clogged. you can easily have 50% discrepency between the best and worst injector, they should all be within 2% or better.

Pfaff/BACA are Mefi Gurus in So-Cal.

farmo83

Reaction score
two emails and a phone call, still no answer. Same with the EFI store. Everyone is so busy they dont need any more business. LOL

He's having a fun few weeks. Give him time he will call back.

69hondo

Reaction score
Did you have the injectors cleaned and flowbenched?

You would be SHOCKED how bad those old injectors flow after 10+ years, Some of them stick open, some get clogged. you can easily have 50% discrepency between the best and worst injector, they should all be within 2% or better.

Pfaff/BACA are Mefi Gurus in So-Cal.

Had injectors rebuilt, didnt work so I bought a full set of brand new 80LB injectors and still no change.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Had injectors rebuilt, didnt work so I bought a full set of brand new 80LB injectors and still no change.
Did the problem start after the injectors were rebuilt the first time (and therefore before the new injectors .....) ?

Is it possible that the injectors that you received back now flow more lb per hour and are causing the motor to run rich? Maybe what it had in there were flowed to a different value.

The MEFI isn't smart enough (and has no 02 sensor to see) that it's running rich, it just knows to open and close the injectors based on RPM and MAP.

If fuel pressure was 52lb before all this started, and is 52lb now, that leaves the injectors as the only variable.......

Have you tried Alexi at Boostpower? :p

69hondo

Reaction score
Did the problem start after the injectors were rebuilt the first time (and therefore before the new injectors .....) ?

Is it possible that the injectors that you received back now flow more lb per hour and are causing the motor to run rich? Maybe what it had in there were flowed to a different value.

The MEFI isn't smart enough (and has no 02 sensor to see) that it's running rich, it just knows to open and close the injectors based on RPM and MAP.

If fuel pressure was 52lb before all this started, and is 52lb now, that leaves the injectors as the only variable.......

Have you tried Alexi at Boostpower? :p

the old injectors and new injectors are the exact same part number and produce the exact same result in the engine.

DaveH

Reaction score
you arent getting a return call because THOSE THINGS ARE A GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS TO WORK ON.

sure, everyone is busy........but shops don't like to get the blame when a motor they didn't put together develops issues and of course....."its always the tune" so I am not surprised you don't have people lining up to work on that thing.

DaveH

Reaction score
the old injectors and new injectors are the exact same part number and produce the exact same result in the engine.
could be a bad map or TPS sensor or wiring...but you have no way of knowing because you can talk to your ecu. and there are all sorts of fake copies of injectors out there.....you have no way of knowing without flowing them that they are indeed identical to what you had.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

So hypothetically - let's say the new (and rebuilt, and original) injectors are all the same and are fine....

And since you verified the fuel pressure is staying at 52psi, and was 52psi before all this started......were gonna assume that's fine as well.

And the new motor has been check and verified it has no vacuum leaks, same mechancial specs, and no mechanical issues.....so we can assume that's fine

That leaves -

The only thing that has changed is having takin the motor ourt and putting it back in a few times - that could mean either a sensor has been possibly damaged, wiring or connector / pin damaged at connection to a sensor, or thru sheer bad luck a sensor decided to go bad.

Or a ground issue......EFI acts real weird when it's not properly grounded

Having the ability to log the MEFI would let you see the MAP readings, TPS, etc and it may reveal what is happening and give you a place to start looking.

69hondo

Reaction score
So hypothetically - let's say the new (and rebuilt, and original) injectors are all the same and are fine....

And since you verified the fuel pressure is staying at 52psi, and was 52psi before all this started......were gonna assume that's fine as well.

And the new motor has been check and verified it has no vacuum leaks, same mechancial specs, and no mechanical issues.....so we can assume that's fine

That leaves -

The only thing that has changed is having takin the motor ourt and putting it back in a few times - that could mean either a sensor has been possibly damaged, wiring or connector / pin damaged at connection to a sensor, or thru sheer bad luck a sensor decided to go bad.

Or a ground issue......EFI acts real weird when it's not properly grounded

Having the ability to log the MEFI would let you see the MAP readings, TPS, etc and it may reveal what is happening and give you a place to start looking.

Hey at least my oil pressure is good now :p

DaveH

Reaction score
throw in a potential ignition issue.......improperly phased distributor, incorrect ignition timing, worn ignition components etc

Trash

Reaction score
Did the motor ever run correctly with 80 lb injectors and 52 psi fuel pressure? I have a feeling the answer is no. 80 lb injectors and 52 psi is a lot of fuel for a 454. You would need some serious fuel trim changes to the BPW/MAP/RPM tables from a stock tune.

Do you have wide band installed? If so what is the AFR?

rrrr

Reaction score
Are you running regular unleaded or premium? That engine should be running regular.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Did the motor ever run correctly with 80 lb injectors and 52 psi fuel pressure? I have a feeling the answer is no. 80 lb injectors and 52 psi is a lot of fuel for a 454. You would need some serious fuel trim changes to the BPW/MAP/RPM tables from a stock tune.

Do you have wide band installed? If so what is the AFR?
It's supercharged, hence the larger injectors.
It ran good for multiple trips when he bought it. Engine had to come out for a rebuild, and then again due to a bad oil pump. Hasn't ran correctly since

69hondo

Reaction score
BOught boat with engine runnung but after a few trips noticed it was down on power so we did a leak down and what we thought was correct. New engine built but basically rebuilt what was in it. Same Crower cam so as not to have to mess with the tune. It ran relatively great the last three seasons. Started noticing when I would go full throttle it would loadup/foul a plug. If I backed out it would fire again and be good unless I went full throttle for more then 30 seconds. Middle of last season for some reason it lost the oil pump. So tore it down. New bearings, Crower re ground the cam to the same spec. , new rings and a new oil pump. Now boat since fresh engine has been in only one trip on it. It fires right up but a dog out of the hole. you can hear that its loaded up. Took it of the anchor three times, two of those times it never cleaned up, one of those times it was like a switch got turned off and the engine cleaned up and the boat shot forward like rocket so I started slowly pushing the throttle forward and it just kept going RPM climbing and speed. engine sounded great, got to about 3/4 throttle and instantly backed to loaded up. Now I dont know if this is part of it or not but if you start it up and then shut it off then try to start it back up it acts like a flooded carb. Throttle has to be held wide open.

454 mag MPI, 60 over., Crower long rods 6.385, Ross forged blower pistons, Crower cam , Comp cams full roller valve train, stock intake manifold port matched to heads, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, Aeromotive A1000 regulator, M1 Procharger and intercooler. MSD 6Al digital ignition, MSD pro billet EFI distributor, MSD coil

20200816_110829.jpg

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
BOught boat with engine runnung but after a few trips noticed it was down on power so we did a leak down and what we thought was correct. New engine built but basically rebuilt what was in it. Same Crower cam so as not to have to mess with the tune. It ran relatively great the last three seasons. Started noticing when I would go full throttle it would loadup/foul a plug. If I backed out it would fire again and be good unless I went full throttle for more then 30 seconds. Middle of last season for some reason it lost the oil pump. So tore it down. New bearings, Crower re ground the cam to the same spec. , new rings and a new oil pump. Now boat since fresh engine has been in only one trip on it. It fires right up but a dog out of the hole. you can hear that its loaded up. Took it of the anchor three times, two of those times it never cleaned up, one of those times it was like a switch got turned off and the engine cleaned up and the boat shot forward like rocket so I started slowly pushing the throttle forward and it just kept going RPM climbing and speed. engine sounded great, got to about 3/4 throttle and instantly backed to loaded up. Now I dont know if this is part of it or not but if you start it up and then shut it off then try to start it back up it acts like a flooded carb. Throttle has to be held wide open.

454 mag MPI, 60 over., Crower long rods 6.385, Ross forged blower pistons, Crower cam , Comp cams full roller valve train, stock intake manifold port matched to heads, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, Aeromotive A1000 regulator, M1 Procharger and intercooler. MSD 6Al digital ignition, MSD pro billet EFI distributor, MSD coil

View attachment 1030261

Exactly what my single cab silverado did with the ground wire issue after my engine rebuild.

Trash

Reaction score

View attachment 1030261

Aaah....details help. From the sounds of your issues I don't think any tweaking within the MEFI would help if it was working correctly before. I was helping a guy tune his MEFI 1 454 jetboat a few years back and it was breaking up badly at a certain rpm. He was convinced it was the tune. I looked at the tables and they all looked fine. He had replaced nearly every part on the fuel system. I had him install a wideband to clarify things. He did and it turns out his new fuel pressure regulator was taking a dump on him.

Soooo....I would look at the fuel pressure regulator and all the associated connections. You may be seeing 52 psi but perhaps not in every regime. I would get wide band installed if able as that will help immensely and immediately tell you if it is fuel or ignition related. No plug guess work involve. The other thing to consider is not every injector likes to be driven at higher pressures. I know 52 psi isn't stratospheric but it might be worth looking into if other issues don't pan out.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Aaah....details help. From the sounds of your issues I don't think any tweaking within the MEFI would help if it was working correctly before. I was helping a guy tune his MEFI 1 454 jetboat a few years back and it was breaking up badly at a certain rpm. He was convinced it was the tune. I looked at the tables and they all looked fine. He had replaced nearly every part on the fuel system. I had him install a wideband to clarify things. He did and it turns out his new fuel pressure regulator was taking a dump on him.

Soooo....I would look at the fuel pressure regulator and all the associated connections. You may be seeing 52 psi but perhaps not in every regime. I would get wide band installed if able as that will help immensely and immediately tell you if it is fuel or ignition related. No plug guess work involve. The other thing to consider is not every injector likes to be driven at higher pressures. I know 52 psi isn't stratospheric but it might be worth looking into if other issues don't pan out.
That's a good point about static fuel pressure VS underway conditions.

Would be helpful to watch the gauge somehow while the problem is happening and see if its jumping around. Is it a temp gauge being hooked to the fuel rail schrader valve, or ?

DaveH

Reaction score
if its pig rich (i mean you said it is fouling plugs) you don't have a lack of fuel pressure.......you have WAY too much fuel. maybe your 52psi is a lot higher then you think? but I'm thinking the issue is elsewhere and not a fuel pressure problem. bottom line you are over fueling the shit out of it. so either the ECU is commanding the excess fuel or your PSI is so high you would be bursting lines. or you have a major ignition issue.

Trash

Reaction score
That's a good point about static fuel pressure VS underway conditions.

Would be helpful to watch the gauge somehow while the problem is happening and see if its jumping around. Is it a temp gauge being hooked to the fuel rail schrader valve, or ?

That is exactly what happened as I outlined above. At idle all was normal and even moderate throttle it was good. At about 4000 rpm all hell broke loose for about 3-5 seconds then it got out of the 'bad zone' and took off. He was able to monitor the fuel pressure under load (if I recall correctly) and issue was verified when wide band went stupid lean at the same point. Fuel tables were good. His NEW fuel pressure regulator was not.