WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

fuel tanks

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
I'mgetting ready for gas tanks and would like to know how many gallons would be needed. The engine is a BB chrysler runnig about 525 hp with 15 gears. I'm going to use it for skiing and cruising with a blast of speed from time to time. How many gallons would be a good amount for a days use? I'll be running twin tanks.

65Mandella

Reaction score
Personally, for a ski boat, as many gallons as you can fit in the boat and not be intrusive would be optimal.
My Mandella is a little 17'6" ski boat and I am trying to get 2- 12 gallon square aluminum side tanks in there to follow the body lines... Running 550 hp 454 w/ single carb....

flyingcolors

Reaction score
I would think a pair of 20's , depending on boat size (17'-19') and how much cruising you want to do

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I would agree with 65, my 24ft with a bbc has two 30 gallon tanks under the floor and could have actually been slightly larger without much problems. Some guys have even added additional tanks for extended stays out on the water (ie Lake Powell???). As a side note, I would rather fill up in town, then on the water ??? jmo
rb

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
Baker,
What hull are you working with????
I have a 18ft rayson. I've checked out all sorts of tanks from aluminum round, (won't fit right) to rectangular plastic, (still won't fit right) to custom made (won't fit in my wallet). Since I've built a few custom cars in my day, I have a lot of metal working equitment so I built a pair of tanks out of galvanized sheet metal (I don't have a tig welder just a mig). A couple of sending units from Ebay, 2 street elbows and a lenghth of 3/8 brake line and I now have 2 custom fit fuel tanks for 140 a pair.

Next I tackle the stringers.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'mgetting ready for gas tanks and would like to know how many gallons would be needed. The engine is a BB chrysler runnig about 525 hp with 15 gears. I'm going to use it for skiing and cruising with a blast of speed from time to time. How many gallons would be a good amount for a days use? I'll be running twin tanks.

What kind of boat?

65Mandella

Reaction score
I her ya on not fitting the wallet!!!
I was looking at Vinyl Ester fiberglass resin before a buddy of mine got a TIG welder and said he'd help weld me up a few...
Most vinyl ester resin's withstand today's ethanol in fuel and is a much stronger bond than regular poly resin...
Just a thought if you've worked with glass...

MOUZER

Reaction score
STANDARD 8 1/2 X 48" IS ALL YOU NEED ..I HAVE 3 SETS LET ME KNOW :grumble: