WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Full detail questions

Dominic

Reaction score
i have a red and yellow 88 eliminator that needs some touch ups all around. The bottom of the boat is yellow and transitions to red across the sides.

There are several scratches that I want to get out, both minor and heavy. What is the best process/product you’ve used to get the best outcome?

YZFRider

Reaction score
If the scratches can be caught with your fingernail then you are going to be hard pressed to remove them with a compound. You will need to color sand them out. For minor scratches most heavy cuts and a wool pad will do the trick and then finish up with a foam pad and polish. Since Gel coat is hard and porous, I prefer to use a direct drive DA buffer. When buffing you have to be aggressive to get anything major out. Which is why I prefer to color sand as you have more control.

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
Be very careful, once you start cutting with a heavy cut on the boat, that gel will never come back. Some of these things are better left to the pros, or at least get some pro advice. I would hate for you to use some heavy cut just to find out It didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro