WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Funky thread on pool pressure relief valve

traquer

Reaction score
Mine broke in half today and it will take a week to get on Amazon.. I want to cap it off for the meantime so I can run the pump but I couldn't find anything with this thread at HD.

Why can't they use standard 3/4 pipe thread? This is more course than water hose thread.

1612237317607.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Does it look to be a bolt thread pitch? Could you just snug a bolt down onto a rubber washer?

DLC

Reaction score
What brand filter assembly, try leslies pool or a pool supply house, if they don’t sell to ya ask one of the guys going in and pay them cash for it

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
What city are you in, nearly every pool store in existence will have that in stock

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Fill the hole on your old one that snapped with JB Weld

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
What’s the major diameter? Assuming that gauge uses a 1/4” NPT, I’d guess the adapter uses a 3/4-11 straight thread (standard 3/4” coarse thread bolt)

traquer

Reaction score
What brand filter assembly, try leslies pool or a pool supply house, if they don’t sell to ya ask one of the guys going in and pay them cash for it
Leslie's pool in Fullerton was out of stock and I didn't wanna drive anywhere else. Too busy with work I think I will just wait on amazon.

1/4” NPT on the top yes, the bottom it's unlike any thread I've ever seen

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score
Maybe an ORB "o-ring boss" fitting from Ace Hardware or a hydraulic repair shop.

Looks like the same thread as the drain plug on the bottom of a pool pump basket.

traquer

Reaction score
Maybe an ORB "o-ring boss" fitting from Ace Hardware or a hydraulic repair shop.

Looks like the same thread as the drain plug on the bottom of a pool pump basket.
Much more course than that thread, I checked lol. It doesn't come across in the pictures too well.

I'm slowly learning that pools are like boats. You either buy it new for $$$ or buy it used and every year it's a grand or two on repairs lol

SixD9R

Reaction score
What’s the major diameter? Assuming that gauge uses a 1/4” NPT, I’d guess the adapter uses a 3/4-11 straight thread (standard 3/4” coarse thread bolt)
Isn’t 3/4 course, 10 threads per inch?
But it does look like that could be it though.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Isn’t 3/4 course, 10 threads per inch?
But it does look like that could be it though.
Yeah,... I had 11 in my head for some reason. 3/4-10 is the one. I was too lazy to walk over to the toolbox and check

traquer

Reaction score
Yeah,... I had 11 in my head for some reason. 3/4-10 is the one. I was too lazy to walk over to the toolbox and check
You guys might be right! Where can I find a bolt like that locally to plug it?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
You guys might be right! Where can I find a bolt like that locally to plug it?
At a pool store , lol
So you’ll make a trip to a hardware store to bandaid fix, versus going to pool store to get what you need? Lol
Note that is an oring seal on tank, a bolt ain’t gonna work anyway. Do it right the first time. With correct parts. That filter is a dinosaur waiting to die.
Leslie’s is for basic shit, and chemicals, maybe water tests other then that useless.
Go to an actual real store with real pool knowledge, or even any pool service guy may have or can get next day.
Friendly hills pool store in Whittier
Nohl Ranch pool supply in orange
Bens pool supply Yorba Linda
Tustana pool supply Tustin

All will either have in stock or can get next day for sure

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
At a pool store , lol
So you’ll make a trip to a hardware store to bandaid fix, versus going to pool store to get what you need? Lol
Note that is an oring seal on tank, a bolt ain’t gonna work anyway. Do it right the first time. With correct parts. That filter is a dinosaur waiting to die.
Leslie’s is for basic shit, and chemicals, maybe water tests other then that useless.
Go to an actual real store with real pool knowledge, or even any pool service guy may have or can get next day.

Based on the picture, the o-ring seat/relief is in the female side of the fitting. A bolt will work fine. A bolt that’s too long, with a nut on it to shorten it up, using silicone to seal the threads between the nut and bolt, along with the O-ring...will also work just fine.

traquer

Reaction score
At a pool store , lol

I was hoping you'd chime in! I was also hoping you'd say I was going to blow myself up lol. The top of the DE filter cracked and blew off already last year. There's a used replacement top on there now.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Based on the picture, the o-ring seat/relief is in the female side of the fitting. A bolt will work fine. A bolt that’s too long, with a nut on it to shorten it up, using silicone to seal the threads between the nut and bolt, along with the O-ring...will also work just fine.
That is not a female side.
That nipple is part of that tee
It mounts through the lid of a stainless steel filter. Likely old Purex smbw.
Will nuts and bolts seal it off with enough silicone and ghetto engineering. Yes. Then when part he needs comes in all that booger mess needs to be removed.
My point is, if your gonna go to store to find a band aid for the filter to no longer have an air release or pressure gauge. Might as well go to a pool store other then Leslie’s and get what you need to begin with.

Or over think it and figure out ways to help paisa engineer something so easy to fix right with the correct parts.

What ever, how bout this. Easy fix , buy a new filter

traquer

Reaction score
I'm waiting another few days on amazon since I already ordered it.. Would be nice to use the spa in the meantime. Also I didn't know there were competent pool stores in the area so thanks for that! Leslies down the block didn't have it in stock and I'm lazy to drive further lol.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Had a customer/friend back in the 90s. Pool service guy. Was cleaning an old smbw filter. Old trick to save time was to bump the timer on and off to build pressure to push the lid off when cleaning.
Well he bumped and bumped again arm over filter in case it popped to hard. Well you can’t imagine. He almost ended up on shittiest ways to die. The lid did pop, matter of fact it blew off. Broke his arm, lid continued up in force broke his teeth out, broke his cheek bone. Knocked him out. Fell forward, hand was still on timer. As he went forward turns pump on and fell face first into the fucking filter. Luckily home owner was home and heard the boom. He was upside down inside the filter now full of water passed out. Could have ended wayyyyyy worse.

Moral of the story, be careful. Lol

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Wait... This isnt a cool thread about pressure relief valves on pool pumps?🤔

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Had a customer/friend back in the 90s. Pool service guy. Was cleaning an old smbw filter. Old trick to save time was to bump the timer on and off to build pressure to push the lid off when cleaning.
Well he bumped and bumped again arm over filter in case it popped to hard. Well you can’t imagine. He almost ended up on shittiest ways to die. The lid did pop, matter of fact it blew off. Broke his arm, lid continued up in force broke his teeth out, broke his cheek bone. Knocked him out. Fell forward, hand was still on timer. As he went forward turns pump on and fell face first into the fucking filter. Luckily home owner was home and heard the boom. He was upside down inside the filter now full of water passed out. Could have ended wayyyyyy worse.

Moral of the story, be careful. Lol

Alll that to save $50/month 🤷🏻‍♂️ Stories like this is why I hire professionals. 😳😳