WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Future Generation custom boat buyers (new)

Cdog

Reaction score
I was one of those "kids" back in the 2000's. In my mid 20's with a new big ass 100k boat & new diesel chevy. My mortgage was affordable and my vehicles were paid for. Then I got back into racing and my wife wanted to have kids. LOL!

I remember being at the sand bar when my shockwave was brand new and this drunk asshole guy from Yorba Linda in his 50's comes over and implies that my dad bought my boat or I did something wrong or illegal to get it. He had a chip on his shoulder no doubt.
I told him he needs to work harder and stop worrying about what other people have or earn. Almost had to kick his ass. Some lady dragged his drunk ass back to his friends ratty pontoon boat.

I don't regret a second of it. The time the wife and I had before kids traveling and going to the river was living life and building our bonds. Something to hold onto because now days with braces, swim team, volleyball and whatever various girl shit going on around here I don't have the dedication in me to go all out on a boat. In fact when I do sell mine it's part of my 911 GTS down payment. I'll get another one eventually but I just don't have the time for this shit right now.

Moral of the story.. Dont hate on the younger guys coming up with lots of toys. Good for them livin a life worth remembering.

1979IMG1.jpg

2006 015.jpg

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’m not trying to buy in the ritzy part by you lol, there was a 4 bed on a full acre that sold for 600k a month or two ago but since then it seems nothing more than a half acre for 600k
Ricky Hallam has a couple
Listed that are an acre and 2 acres but they are going to bring all the money. I’ve been looking for something for my brother

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind too is how the boat prices have adversely affected the boat manufacturers.

Back in the day when boats were cheaper most boat sales were a cash up front deal. Manufacturer took your cash and spent it on your boat manufacturing process (cost of materials, labor, things like the engine that they have to source, etc). And then when it was done you picked it up and they made their money off balancing their costs vs what you paid to get their profit margin.

Now today, boat prices being astronomical, most boat manufactures only get a portion of the boat price in cash as a down payment. The rest is usually financed by the buyer but the buyer doesn't have to come up with the remainder until the boat is done and ready for pickup. Here's the tough part, the manufacturer no longer has the money up front to pay their costs to build the boat. So where does this money come from? Well now it's subsidized by other boats that are in the pipeline with their down payments, or what's been bought and paid for already.

This puts the boat manufacturer in the precarious position of building a boat at their cost with their own money, or using the money from other orders in the hopes that the current order gets bought. One can see that a few failed purchases (buyer can't get the financing ultimately, or backs out) and the boat manufacturer is now in the red. Do that enough and their out of business.

Its wierd to think about it, but at this point, boat manufacturing is a shell game with other people's money. Trying to keep the money moved around to the things that sell so they can continue the process. The money you might put down for your own boat might never actually go towards your boat, but paying themselves for someone else's.

Miserable business to be in, in my opinion. The stress must eat you alive.

EVERY business has that problem and there are many solutions for that.

The shell game you are describing is a poorly run business, which many MFGs of the past were, and some are today.

attitude

Reaction score
Ricky Hallam has a couple
Listed that are an acre and 2 acres but they are going to bring all the money. I’ve been looking for something for my brother
I look at Zillow every day and this past week or so it seems there have been of lot of houses posted. I also would prefer one the wasn’t a recent remodel so I can slowly update it myself.

PlanB

Reaction score
53 and have owned 5 custom boats (3 DCB's, Skater, Cigarette). I bought my first custom boat in my 20's, and now it's the toon life. The first toon was always going to be "Plan B". After buying it and getting a fulltime slip, it quickly became Plan A. Now that we have a lift and a covered slip, I don't see ever going back to a custom boat that I would not feel comfortable leaving on a lift year round. Just thinking about having to launch and recover everyday would make me want to find another hobby. If we lived in Havasu fulltime that might change though because it would be only mid-week boating. For now I like the ease of the toon and the slip.

I think the guys getting older like me are looking for an easier boating experience. I never thought a toon would be fun, but it's simple and you can do so much with it instead of just going fast from point A to point B. With the younger crowd it seems that water sports have taken over the scene, hence the rise in wake boat sales. The younger guys that have the money to spend seem to gravitate more towards WB's than go fast boats.

Times change and the scene at the river / lake is definitely changing. my.02.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I look at Zillow every day and this past week or so it seems there have been of lot of houses posted. I also would prefer one the wasn’t a recent remodel so I can slowly update it myself.
That’s exactly what we wanted and found. Straight out of the 80’s 😂😂 we got to do what we wanted the way we wanted though. House gets painted next weekend and it’s pretty close to done. As close as it will ever be anyways

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
-I think it’s safe to say that most of boating society has been led to follow the trend of showing up to bass pro or your nearest boat dealership and being talked into the cookie cutter model SunTracker pontoon or Glastron runabout. It’s easy, it’s attainable, you don’t have to work for it.

This point right here I think is important. Not that Nordic or Eliminator could stock a boat in every Bass pro but if they put one in the key local shops under a dealer agreement I think the results would be surprising. Guys poking around a production runabout or a Pontoon would be pretty blown away by a fundeck or a 275. The prices would be higher but honestly Eliminator has gotten pretty smart about offering up front monthly payment prices on the cost sheets at the boat shows and a comparable pontoon or Cobalt is pretty close to the same price tag.

The other thing to keep in mind too is how the boat prices have adversely affected the boat manufacturers.

Back in the day when boats were cheaper most boat sales were a cash up front deal. Manufacturer took your cash and spent it on your boat manufacturing process (cost of materials, labor, things like the engine that they have to source, etc). And then when it was done you picked it up and they made their money off balancing their costs vs what you paid to get their profit margin.

Now today, boat prices being astronomical, most boat manufactures only get a portion of the boat price in cash as a down payment. The rest is usually financed by the buyer but the buyer doesn't have to come up with the remainder until the boat is done and ready for pickup. Here's the tough part, the manufacturer no longer has the money up front to pay their costs to build the boat. So where does this money come from? Well now it's subsidized by other boats that are in the pipeline with their down payments, or what's been bought and paid for already.

This puts the boat manufacturer in the precarious position of building a boat at their cost with their own money, or using the money from other orders in the hopes that the current order gets bought. One can see that a few failed purchases (buyer can't get the financing ultimately, or backs out) and the boat manufacturer is now in the red. Do that enough and their out of business.

Its wierd to think about it, but at this point, boat manufacturing is a shell game with other people's money. Trying to keep the money moved around to the things that sell so they can continue the process. The money you might put down for your own boat might never actually go towards your boat, but paying themselves for someone else's.

This is exactly why the financing model needs to change. The current model requires a completed boat with a coast gaurd cert, an inspection and title of the boat into the banks name. Unless its unsecured then things get easier but trying to get an unsecured loan north of 100k is pretty difficult.

Boat builders need to have financing lines that are custom tailored to the industry. Similar to a home construction loan. Let a financing company handle the build cost with a borrower agreement on the front end of the build. Borrower payments start on day one of signing the build contract. With a down payment going to the lender instead of the builder. Day one the financing company has a performing loan. The builder has the cash needed to complete the build through that borrowers construction line funds in installments. Get enough custom boat builders signed up and you can roll out a securitization every 3-6 months removing the liability from the lender. The key is volume and you would need all of the big and small builders to sign on in order to compete with the mass produced boats.

2Driver

Reaction score
25 years ago many production boats were your typical fish and family runabouts.

Now production boats have appeal, adopted many features and then some of custom boats, nice layouts, decent power, nice design etc. Unless you really want a custom boat, It’s a lot easier to walk into a show room pick it out, finance it for 10 years and go boating the next weekend with a good warranty and dealer service.

LOL who’s building a custom desert car anymore it’s all RZR's and canned hams.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Doesn't help when boat prices have totally spiked. My father bought his Eliminator 20 hull for like $10k (less motor and jet) in 1983, which he had that done seperately. Now any boat is in the mid to high 100K range and that's pretty much the base packages. Its gone out of reach for a lot of people that were able to buy boats years ago when they were more affordable.

It's kind of like what's going on with snow skiing. There's some wierd race to be the most expensive lift ticket. The industry complains skier/boarder days are down. Well duh! When it costs $150+ per adult just to get on the slopes and kids arent much cheaper, its a lot tougher proposition to make it a family weekend skiing or boarding. In the race for the high-end ski/boarding experience they've removed large portions of the population that still want to do it but its out of their price range.

You can still get a blank 19’ hull less motor and jet for $12,500.

attitude

Reaction score
That’s exactly what we wanted and found. Straight out of the 80’s 😂😂 we got to do what we wanted the way we wanted though. House gets painted next weekend and it’s pretty close to done. As close as it will ever be anyways
Did you do most of the work yourself or hire it out? I’ve found that a lot of house in Norco could use a pressure wash, some weed pulling, and some new paint and they would like like a whole different house.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Did you do most of the work yourself or hire it out? I’ve found that a lot of house in Norco could use a pressure wash, some weed pulling, and some new paint and they would like like a whole different house.
I did some myself and called in a lot of favors. Being an ex General Foreman Was a pretty big plus. Only area I always get into trouble is I don’t know any reliable electricians. I wish @hallett21 was closer.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Boat builders need to have financing lines that are custom tailored to the industry. Similar to a home construction loan. Let a financing company handle the build cost with a borrower agreement on the front end of the build. Borrower payments start on day one of signing the build contract. With a down payment going to the lender instead of the builder. Day one the financing company has a performing loan. The builder has the cash needed to complete the build through that borrowers construction line funds in installments. Get enough custom boat builders signed up and you can roll out a securitization every 3-6 months removing the liability from the lender. The key is volume and you would need all of the big and small builders to sign on in order to compete with the mass produced boats.

The issue with this is that its faster to build homes vs boats. Signing a deal only to have a boat ready in over a years isn't going to happen with any lender especially with a asset that depreciates.

attitude

Reaction score
I did some myself and called in a lot of favors. Being an ex General Foreman Was a pretty big plus. Only area I always get into trouble is I don’t know any reliable electricians. I wish @hallett21 was closer.
One of my buddies is a Union electrician so that’s about the one thing I will have covered when I do start remodeling lol

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The issue with this is that its faster to build homes vs boats. Signing a deal only to have a boat ready in over a years isn't going to happen with any lender especially with a asset that depreciates.

A boat should not take a year to build unless the line is that long. Process would not be started until its your turn in line.

hallett21

Reaction score

Just say the word lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Probably why the hundreds of custom boat manufacturers that existed in the 80s and 90's (i could be exaggerating slightly) have consolidated down to a few strong ones who bought other people's molds or names or both, and have advertised the hell out of themselves for other sustainable operations like service and repairs for any make they can get in the door. Building boats really isn't the money maker anymore. Service and repairs is what keeps most of these remaining afloat.
Like your perspective and makes sense.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
A boat should not take a year to build unless the line is that long. Process would not be started until its your turn in line.

Agreed but now they are. What's eliminator wait time? Think @ONE-A-DAY had an order for the 255 and was about a year if I remember. Also what is a Howard 255 or 28 deck taking. What is DCB? I'm sure all close to a year.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I was one of those "kids" back in the 2000's. In my mid 20's with a new big ass 100k boat & new diesel chevy. My mortgage was affordable and my vehicles were paid for. Then I got back into racing and my wife wanted to have kids. LOL!

I remember being at the sand bar when my shockwave was brand new and this drunk asshole guy from Yorba Linda in his 50's comes over and implies that my dad bought my boat or I did something wrong or illegal to get it. He had a chip on his shoulder no doubt.
I told him he needs to work harder and stop worrying about what other people have or earn. Almost had to kick his ass. Some lady dragged his drunk ass back to his friends ratty pontoon boat.

I don't regret a second of it. The time the wife and I had before kids traveling and going to the river was living life and building our bonds. Something to hold onto because now days with braces, swim team, volleyball and whatever various girl shit going on around here I don't have the dedication in me to go all out on a boat. In fact when I do sell mine it's part of my 911 GTS down payment. I'll get another one eventually but I just don't have the time for this shit right now.

Moral of the story.. Dont hate on the younger guys coming up with lots of toys. Good for them livin a life worth remembering.

View attachment 934817
View attachment 934818
Loved the comments.... continue to be patient with us old farts losing our place in the food chain.... we used to be kings attitude right. On another note....See that expression on that dogs face, "Ok how deep and how cold is that friggin water, these bitches are crazy I'm out..."

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Agreed but now they are. What's eliminator wait time? Think @ONE-A-DAY had an order for the 255 and was about a year if I remember. Also what is a Howard 255 or 28 deck taking. What is DCB? I'm sure all close to a year.

That’s just how long it takes including the wait for you boat to go in the mold. Once it’s in the mold it’s probably 5-6 months.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

View attachment 934817
View attachment 934818

Here is the rub. To do that same thing today (new diesel truck and new 29' boat) costs about DOUBLE what is cost you in the early 2000's

Although if you got a Cheetah 26' deck and a new big block gasser truck without 42 cameras, ass massagers, and giant touch screens you COULD keep it about the same price of entry as 15 years ago.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Here is the rub. To do that same thing today (new diesel truck and new 29' boat) costs about DOUBLE what is cost you in the early 2000's
True. I’ve got the original build sheet from my Advantage in 01 ($115k) and my 02 F250 7.3 Lariat ($38k). The boat was ordered in October of 2000 and delivered February 2001.

Cdog

Reaction score
Loved the comments.... continue to be patient with us old farts losing our place in the food chain.... we used to be kings attitude right. On another note....See that expression on that dogs face, "Ok how deep and how cold is that friggin water, these bitches are crazy I'm out..."

I'm 43....Middle aged now. Getting closer to the old fart status every year. HAHA!

That was Macy. She lived to 14.5. Natural born bird and rabbit hunter. I had to yell at her to stay in the boat for the pic. That girl loved the water and the river. She would jump off a cliff after me and not think twice. Ride or die dog.

2006 005.jpg

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

View attachment 934817
View attachment 934818

SOB why did I sell that boat?

For what it’s worth, the current owner likes it as much or more than I did. I inquired about buying it back, and it came with a hard NO. He was having motor freshened, and had a whipple/EFI setup going on it.

Cdog

Reaction score

Although if you got a Cheetah 26' deck and a new big block gasser truck without 42 cameras, ass massagers, and giant touch screens you COULD keep it about the same price of entry as 15 years ago.

Yeah. My 21 F350 I have on order is 76k. msrp at 85k. Nuts!!!

hallett21

Reaction score

1/2 ton gasser is what you meant [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score
SOB why did I sell that boat?

For what it’s worth, the current owner likes it as much or more than I did. I inquired about buying it back, and it came with a hard NO. He was having motor freshened, and had a whipple/EFI setup going on it.

At one time I had a Whipple and a twin turbo set up for it. Life gets busy and plans change...

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I think there are several good points on this. The quality and design of production boats has come way up along with overall costs. My income has not doubled in the last 15 years but many costs have. The math doesn't work on a custom build so for the moment I am happy in my 25 year old dock banger......

When the economy crashes again, I will look at making a move. unfortunately my cheap ass will probably do something way to rational like add an additional rental property.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Most builds are done with an escrow account, the lender releases funds to the builder when certain milestones are met, they dont have to wait until the end to get the money from the lender.

Cdog

Reaction score
Nice, what dealer? Damn mine was 80k in 17' f'me. Now I want a 450

Bill Fick Ford in Huntsville Tx. LMK if you want a contact. So far the guy I'm dealing with is great. I just sent him a 450 order from another friend earlier in the week.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Bill Fick Ford in Huntsville Tx. LMK if you want a contact. So far the guy I'm dealing with is great. I just sent him a 450 order from another friend earlier in the week.
Nice, I’m not ready yet, I’m about a year out. More than likely next tax season.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Life long boater (42), grew up on a lake have never bought or built a new boat. I did buy a house in Havasu, a beater pontoon and a gently used DMAX 2500HD in my early twenties. Have upgraded the lake house but still drive the same river truck and have the same pontoon. When covid hit I sold my G23 wake boat, Doug Wright 32, Seadoos, and RZR. I still have enough toys out here to pass time. The used boats I have bought in the past the previous owners went out and built new ones. So it takes the used market to drive new sales as well. This summer I bought a twin wacker pontoon from a member on here. So I have two pontoons... Figure I will let my boys get started on our old toon. They can haul the standups to the day beach from now on.

It is hard for me to get excited about buying a new boat, off-road vehicle, etc with the recreational market and the crowds every where here and at our other home in HB. I am hoping things normalize a bit, people go back to work and Havasu does not further turn into AZ OC. I am stoked for the business owners in town but it is a little hard for me to adjust to this overrun of people.

Kind of weird thing happening on a side note, I have a group of lawyer friends in their late 40s early 50s (I am not an attorney). They would come to visit me in LHC maybe once a year or every other. They enjoyed the lake but were very adamant that Havasu was blue collar, party, tattoo, hot boat, etc. They are now starting to bid on 1m+ places in the area after visiting for the past 20 years. I think we are going to start to see this demo continue to come here.

Last edited:

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
True, but that boat is over a year wait and cost about 150k. and its not all that big.

Last week I had a long conversation with Gene from Howard. Put you’re money down now and get you’re boat by September 0f 2022. They are doing unbelievably well.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Life long boater (42), grew up on a lake have never bought or built a new boat. I did buy a house in Havasu, a beater pontoon and a gently used DMAX 2500HD in my early twenties. Have upgraded the lake house but still drive the same river truck and have the same pontoon. When covid hit I sold my G23 wake boat, Doug Wright 32, Seadoos, and RZR. I still have enough toys out here to pass time. The used boats I have bought in the past the previous owners went out and built new ones. So it takes the used market to drive new sales as well. This summer I bought a twin wacker pontoon from a member on here. So I have two pontoons... Figure I will let my boys get started on our old toon. They can haul the standups to the day beach from now on. I think

It is hard for me to get excited about buying a new boat, off-road vehicle, etc with the recreational market and the crowds every where here and at our other home in HB. I am hoping things normalize a bit, people go back to work and Havasu does not further turn into AZ OC. I am stoked for the business owners in town but it is a little hard for me to adjust to this overrun of people.

Kind of weird thing happening on a side note, I have a group of lawyer friends in their late 40s early 50s (I am not an attorney). They would come to visit me in LHC maybe once a year or every other. They enjoyed the lake but where very adamant that Havasu was blue collar, party, tattoo, hot boat, etc. They are now starting to bid on 1m+ places in the area after visiting for the past 20 years. I think we are going to start to see this demo continue to come here.
Oh hell, does this mean I have to deal with snooty OC types at site six now? 😝😂

Reactions: SJP

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Last week I had a long conversation with Gene from Howard. Put you’re money down now and get you’re boat by September 0f 2022. They are doing unbelievably well.

Good for them and everyone who wants to wait. But that is nuts, build another mold for the most popular boats.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Life long boater (42), grew up on a lake have never bought or built a new boat. I did buy a house in Havasu, a beater pontoon and a gently used DMAX 2500HD in my early twenties. Have upgraded the lake house but still drive the same river truck and have the same pontoon. When covid hit I sold my G23 wake boat, Doug Wright 32, Seadoos, and RZR. I still have enough toys out here to pass time. The used boats I have bought in the past the previous owners went out and built new ones. So it takes the used market to drive new sales as well. This summer I bought a twin wacker pontoon from a member on here. So I have two pontoons... Figure I will let my boys get started on our old toon. They can haul the standups to the day beach from now on.

Kind of weird thing happening on a side note, I have a group of lawyer friends in their late 40s early 50s (I am not an attorney). They would come to visit me in LHC maybe once a year or every other. They enjoyed the lake but were very adamant that Havasu was blue collar, party, tattoo, hot boat, etc. They are now starting to bid on 1m+ places in the area after visiting for the past 20 years. I think we are going to start to see this demo continue to come here.

Agreed x1000 the demographic is going to change in the next economic cycle for sure.

Reactions: SJP

Gelcoater

Reaction score

View attachment 934817
View attachment 934818
“Back in the 2000’s😂
I was already feeling old age creeping up on me then🤷‍♂️

That is an awesome pics, man.
4 hot chicks and a Weimariner on the hatch of your boat. 👍
I’m sure it came at the cost of hard work.
Looks like it was worth it😎

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
“Back in the 2000’s😂

You must be getting old. I had to go back and look, I never saw the Weimariner in the first picture with the hot chicks.😂

Cdog

Reaction score
“Back in the 2000’s😂

Haha!! from right to left. Dog, sister, wife, sister & friend Deanne.

PlanB

Reaction score

We have had our place there for 20 years as well. I have had several friend's that have visited over the years that scoffed at the idea of living there for the same reasons you stated. The town is definitely changing...

Your ad here

Reaction score
31 and custom is out of my price range. I don't have that kind of cash. No financing toys here. Owned a Commander with my brother for 5 years and had a lot of fun. Before I go committing to owning a boat again I want to make sure it will not become a burden. It's meant to be enjoyed. Once I get past where to store it and have a truck that can pull it out of the water, I'll be on the search for a 21'. Trying to figure out the storage thing but am almost done making my 1 wheel drive truck 4 wheel drive. I was looking into a 13' mini boat with a 70hp outboard because it will fit in my garage and it would be a fun winter season cruiser with the GF but with a price tag of $28k that idea quickly lost interest.