WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FYI Coinbase Users

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Not trying to cause panic, but...................

1652290342257.png

Hidden away in Coinbase Global’s disappointing first-quarter earnings report—in which the U.S.'s largest cryptocurrency exchange reported a quarterly loss of $430 million and a 19% drop in monthly users—is an update on the risks of using Coinbase’s service that may come as a surprise to its millions of users.

In the event the crypto exchange goes bankrupt, Coinbase says, its users might lose all the cryptocurrency stored in their accounts too.

Coinbase said in its earnings report Tuesday that it holds $256 billion in both fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies on behalf of its customers. Yet the exchange noted that in the event it ever declared bankruptcy, “the crypto assets we hold in custody on behalf of our customers could be subject to bankruptcy proceedings.” Coinbase users would become “general unsecured creditors,” meaning they have no right to claim any specific property from the exchange in proceedings. Their funds would become inaccessible.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
At this point I think all business are in trouble it’s called restructuring

HCP3

Reaction score
A cold wallet fixes this. Ledger, Trezor.

traquer

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a ledger but haven't had the patience to sit down and play with it. Will do so now, I'm in it for the long-term, no trading for me. Already traded away several BTC over the years. If only I woulda just forgetten about them

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
People that leave their crypto in trading accounts deserve to lose it.

They entire point of crypto is that you can hold your own wallet.... and that nobody but you can send it, not even the government can't get ahold of it if you have a strong password

🤦‍♂️

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
People that leave their crypto in trading accounts deserve to lose it.

They entire point of crypto is that you can hold your own wallet.... and that nobody but you can send it, not even the government can't get ahold of it if you have a strong password

🤦‍♂️
Exactly…but they can (and have) confiscated crypto held in exchanges.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Exactly…but they can (and have) confiscated crypto held in exchanges.
Yep because money held in an exchange is actually held by the exchange in their wallet, one that the user has no control over, another reason to move your coin out

caribbean20

Reaction score
Sold our BTCs and ETHs in Coinbase on the day of the disclosure, as minuscule as the risk is. Didn’t want the hassle of doing personal wallet software so we redeployed the cash to Grayscale trusts, GBTC and ETHE.

Worth a look for those who want a hassle free exposure to crypto.