WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FYI-US West prepares for possible 1st water shortage declaration

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score

US West prepares for possible 1st water shortage declaration
  • FILE - In this July 28, 2014, file photo, lightning strikes over Lake Mead near Hoover Dam that impounds Colorado River water at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Arizona. The Bureau of Reclamation is forecasting first-ever water shortages because of falling levels at Lake Mead and says the reservoir could drop so low that it might not be able to generate electricity at Hoover Dam. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
  • FILE - In this Oct. 14, 2015, file photo, a riverboat glides through Lake Mead on the Colorado River at Hoover Dam near Boulder City, Nev. The Bureau of Reclamation is forecasting first-ever water shortages because of falling levels at Lake Mead and says the reservoir could drop so low that it might not be able to generate electricity at Hoover Dam.(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)
  • FILE - In this Aug. 13, 2020 file photo a bathtub ring of light minerals delineates the high water mark on Lake Mead at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, near Boulder City, Nev. The Bureau of Reclamation is forecasting first-ever water shortages because of falling levels at Lake Mead and says the reservoir could drop so low that it might not be able to generate electricity at Hoover Dam. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
1 / 3
Colorado River-Water Shortage
FILE - In this July 28, 2014, file photo, lightning strikes over Lake Mead near Hoover Dam that impounds Colorado River water at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Arizona. The Bureau of Reclamation is forecasting first-ever water shortages because of falling levels at Lake Mead and says the reservoir could drop so low that it might not be able to generate electricity at Hoover Dam. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
SAM METZ

Sat, April 17, 2021, 9:25 AM

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — The man-made lakes that store water supplying millions of people in the U.S. West and Mexico are projected to shrink to historic lows in the coming months, dropping to levels that could trigger the federal government's first-ever official shortage declaration and prompt cuts in Arizona and Nevada.
The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation released 24-month projections this week forecasting that less Colorado River water will cascade down from the Rocky Mountains through Lake Powell and Lake Mead and into the arid deserts of the U.S. Southwest and the Gulf of California. Water levels in the two lakes are expected to plummet low enough for the agency to declare an official shortage for the first time, threatening the supply of Colorado River water that growing cities and farms rely on.
It comes as climate change means less snowpack flows into the river and its tributaries, and hotter temperatures parch soil and cause more river water to evaporate as it streams through the drought-plagued American West.
The agency’s models project Lake Mead will fall below 1,075 feet (328 meters) for the first time in June 2021. That's the level that prompts a shortage declaration under agreements negotiated by seven states that rely on Colorado River water: Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.

The April projections, however, will not have binding impact. Federal officials regularly issue long-term projections but use those released each August to make decisions about how to allocate river water. If projections don't improve by then, the Bureau of Reclamation will declare a Level 1 shortage condition. The cuts would be implemented in January.
Arizona, Nevada and Mexico have voluntarily given up water under a drought contingency plan for the river signed in 2019. A shortage declaration would subject the two U.S. states to their first mandatory reductions. Both rely on the Colorado River more than any other water source, and Arizona stands to lose roughly one-third of its supply.
Water agency officials say they’re confident their preparation measures, including conservation and seeking out alternative sources, would allow them to withstand cuts if the drought lingers as expected.
"The study, while significant, is not a surprise. It reflects the impacts of the dry and warm conditions across the Colorado River Basin this year, as well as the effects of a prolonged drought that has impacted the Colorado River water supply,” officials from the Arizona Department of Water Resources and Central Arizona Project said in a joint statement.
In Nevada, the agency that supplies water to most of the state has constructed “straws” to draw water from further down in Lake Mead as its levels fall. It also has created a credit system where it can bank recycled water back into the reservoir without having it count toward its allocation.
Colby Pellegrino, director of water resources for the Southern Nevada Water Authority, reassured customers that those preparation measures would insulate them from the effects of cuts. But she warned that more action was needed.
“It is incumbent upon all users of the Colorado River to find ways to conserve,” Pellegrino said in a statement.
The Bureau of Reclamation also projected that Lake Mead will drop to the point they worried in the past could threaten electricity generation at Hoover Dam. The hydropower serves millions of customers in Arizona, California and Nevada.
To prepare for a future with less water, the bureau has spent 10 years replacing parts of five of the dam's 17 turbines that rotate to generate power. Len Schilling, a dam manager with the bureau, said the addition of wide-head turbines allow the dam to operate more efficiently at lower water levels. He said the turbines will be able to generate power almost to a point called “deadpool,” when there won't be enough water for the dam to function.
But Schilling noted that less water moving through Hoover Dam means less hydropower to go around.
“As the elevation declines at the lake, then our ability to produce power declines as well because we have less water pushing on the turbines," he said.
The hydropower costs substantially less than the energy sold on the wholesale electricity market because the government charges customers only for the cost of producing it and maintaining the dam.
Lincoln County Power District General Manager Dave Luttrell said infrastructure updates, less hydropower from Hoover Dam and supplemental power from other sources like natural gas raised costs and alarmed customers in his rural Nevada district.
“Rural economies in Arizona and Nevada live and die by the hydropower that is produced at Hoover Dam. It might not be a big deal to NV Energy,” he said of Nevada's largest utility. “It might be a decimal point to Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. But for Lincoln County, it adds huge impact.”
___
Metz is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Uuuuummmm....build reservoirs. Is it really that hard for those dumbasses???😂

This... Inferstructure has been completely outpaced by demand. That train to nowhere could have paid for a dozens of desal plants up and down the coast. Throw in a couple of reservoirs and you can actually meet the demands of the existing population and not depend on el nino storm systems to replenish us after 7 years of drought everytime.

Dalton

Reaction score
Then stop wasting it on the massive flow to the failed wetlands project in Mexico

A lot of the water naturally flows into Mexico, they are supposed to send roughly 350,000 acre-feet back to the US each year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-88

Reaction score
They've been dumping 4 units solid out of Davis for a couple months now with no end in sight for next week, more than during planting seasons in the past imo. Here's where I believe it will head before too long with regards to population growth and development. I sit on the BOD for a district that just built a plant the next level down from this, but with the capability to add full Reverse Osmosis down the road as required or to be able to sell the drinking water back to other local water purveyors in years to come. We took a tour of a toilet to tap plant, but I didn't take a drink lol .

buck35

Reaction score
When you live in the desert, and politics are involved the price of water will be like gold.We live on the Columbia running 100 to 250 thousand cbfs. Water rights are damn hard to come by.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
You know what . . . (fuck everyone) . . . mother fuckers could've dug a channel from the mississippi decades ago . . . my ass has family there., seen it 1st hand. Spillways over flowing every year, biilions of gallons straight to the gulf , , , ,
Instead . . . high-speed rail . . . . and low flush toilets, and pinner shower-valves . . . . FUCK YOU.
I'll wash my truck, flush my boat, and water my lawn, . . . and everyone who doesn't like it can suck the fart out of my ass.
BTW . . . my Dad said, "We used to run a 6" line at my plant in LA that was just for cooling . . . ran 24/7 365" . . . . so yeah, FUCK OFF ENVIRO FAGGOTS.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Part of idiot Joe’s plan. Stop giving away the water to Mexico and the Colorado river delta stupidity. About over this environmental BS, idiots in government are causing the water shortage issues

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Lower river checking in here...(below Parker)...the water level today has been higher than I have ever experienced. Alfalfa water deliveries?

Whatever it is, it is ridiculous and putting some docks in danger.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
When will the Delta Smelt become less important than the population and economy of California?

C’mon man, they only divert 50% of the fresh water to a baitfish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Years ago they talked about water to CA from Canada and as far as the Great Lakes since we provide the majority of food for US and Canada seems like a plan.
But current admin wants the oil pipeline stopped that’s already started so I’m sure this won’t happen.

4Waters

Reaction score
They are dropping Castaic as we speak on purpose so they can do seismic retrofitting to the water tower, Castaic provides water for the Santa Clarita Valley. They better hope we get rain next year of the people of Santa Clarita are gonna start smelling.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Years ago they talked about water to CA from Canada and as far as the Great Lakes since we provide the majority of food for US and Canada seems like a plan.
But current admin wants the oil pipeline stopped that’s already started so I’m sure this won’t happen.

Go find your own water and leave ours alone.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Hey should just use that pipeline to flow water since hey can’t ship crude.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Water shortage? Let’s let millions of unchecked illegal aliens across the border. Meanwhile KamelToe is in her office rubbing her hands together like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons saying, “Excellent, excellent, soon my plan will come to fruition and I will rule the world!”

We’re so fucked.

thmterry

Reaction score
On our private coop well, California is charging us an extraction fee and now a replenishment fee also. This week we (all well owners with over 4 parcels on same well) received a request from the state water board to see the coops income/expense sheet. We sent an emailing asking why a water board needs to see a non profit coops books. Big brother is coming after the little guy. Because we have over four houses on our coop we have to spend hundreds of dollars a month on water testing. The state is making it very difficult on a bunch of private citizens to have our own water.

Dont get me started on the LADWP who are taking all the water from Owens valley north of us.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
On our private coop well, California is charging us an extraction fee and now a replenishment fee also. This week we (all well owners with over 4 parcels on same well) received a request from the state water board to see the coops income/expense sheet. We sent an emailing asking why a water board needs to see a non profit coops books. Big brother is coming after the little guy. Because we have over four houses on our coop we have to spend hundreds of dollars a month on water testing. The state is making it very difficult on a bunch of private citizens to have our own water.

Dont get me started on the LADWP who are taking all the water from Owens valley north of us.
Wow . . . speechless. No words for this . . .

propcheck

Reaction score
Ca is wanting meters on our private wells...
This is a big control push by the government. If you have a well you need to control your water board with pro “rights” people and get rid of the wack jobs pushing this.

500bbc

Reaction score
A little synopsis of more libturd stupidity.

They are going to stave off the water crisis by mandating low flow shower heads.
They are too fucking stupid to read their own data.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
The writing is on the wall . . . I will HAVE to leave So-Cal some day, I won't be able to stay here financially.
I had my chances / opportunities, but made some poor decisions along the way. . . .so it's my fault, & I'll own that.
But I never thought I'd see the day where even working hard, cutting corners, and pinching pennies wouldn't be enough to allow me to live here.
i'm glad 'now' that I never had kids . . . I wouldn't want to leave them with this shit-show . . .the future just doesn't look very promising.

84miller

Reaction score
Carlsbad CA has one of the largest desalination plants that was "allowed" to be built after 20 years jumping through government hoops. It produces enough water for 400K residents a day. It is very doable, but meets resistance at all levels. It would be a start to open more locations. Off subject, it would also be smart to open more nuculear power, instead of closing it down. From my understanding, those solar pannel fields you see out at desert center, require alot of water for cooling.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Damn, I'm glad I left. The Ohio, the Mississippi, the Tennessee, the Cumberland and the Missouri rivers, all within 25 miles of my place is overflowing. The ky lake dam (the Tennessee river) and Barkley lake dam (the Cumberland river) have been dumping water for a month. Hasn't done anything but keep them at the full level.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So its almost June 2021 as in the report, is all the doom and gloom about Mead right or is it doing better? That report was written in 2014 and we all know weather forecasting is about as accurate as picking Super Bowl winners with an octopus.

I haven't heard anything about Powell or Mead going to dead pool (no water around the dam, no electricity generation).

Its definitely not climate change, its called over-population. Get rid of the democrats and illegal aliens and we might have a chance at reversing this.

Last edited:

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
It’s pretty clear they want control of everyone. If you rely on the government they can control you. That’s why they love the cities, everyone in the city relies on the gov for almost everything: water, electricity, sewer, fire, police, food, everything.

Compare that with the country. We mostly have generators, wells, trash pumps for fire hoses, septic, guns. We can be self sufficient and they can’t have that.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

i don’t live in California. I have two private wells on my property. One for the house and the other for the fields/land. I have two tanks (5000 gallons) for the house and 6 (15000 gallons) for the fields/land. They tried to pull that solar bullshit with the water. We had to fight them and we prevailed. I’m sure more shenanigans are on their way. 🖕

RCDave

Reaction score
Nuts!!!! I saw street signs in the vicinity

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Carlsbad CA has one of the largest desalination plants that was "allowed" to be built after 20 years jumping through government hoops. It produces enough water for 400K residents a day. It is very doable, but meets resistance at all levels. It would be a start to open more locations. Off subject, it would also be smart to open more nuculear power, instead of closing it down. From my understanding, those solar pannel fields you see out at desert center, require alot of water for cooling.

Solar varies dramatically from a simple panel farm that requires zero cooling water outside of being cleaned a few times a year - to hugely complex concentrated solar thermal plants like Ivanpah outside of vegas that use tons of water.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
i don’t live in California. I have two private wells on my property. One for the house and the other for the fields/land. I have two tanks (5000 gallons) for the house and 6 (15000 gallons) for the fields/land. They tried to pull that solar bullshit with the water. We had to fight them and we prevailed. I’m sure more shenanigans are on their way. 🖕

What solar bullshit with the water are you referring to?

I probably agree with you here I just dont know what you mean.