WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gale Sayers. RIP

Halvecto

Reaction score
Sad to hear, I am a Bears fan, even though I am boycotting the NFL right now. First thing I thought of was Brian's Song.

Bear Down! Same.

Brain Piccolo story. Wow. Many people would do well to watch that movie again.

That is one of just a few movies that I told my kids they must watch someday. No commentary from me, just watch it. There are not enough great biography-type movies. Real life stories of triumph and tragedy, interpersonal dynamics, etc. are lasting. Most on here arrived for boating and/or motorsports life. They stay for the life stories and curiosity; whether a boat build, life changing episode or trying something crazy like going off-grid. Getting a tidbit on random questions or situational opinion and banter is on the margin. In the end, people's reaction and response to life is interesting.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Since the movie Brian's Song was released clear back in 1971, I imagine there are many, if not the majority, on RDP who have never seen it. It is a true story about real people. Suggest watching it with your kids. Outstanding football movie about Brian Picoolo and his friend Gale Sayers. Very good depiction of how things once were, and how they can be. RIP Gale Sayers, thanks for many years of outstanding football.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Since the movie Brian's Song was released clear back in 1971, I imagine there are many, if not the majority, on RDP who have never seen it. It is a true story about real people. Suggest watching it with your kids. Outstanding football movie about Brian Picoolo and his friend Gale Sayers. Very good depiction of how things once were, and how they can be. RIP Gale Sayers, thanks for many years of outstanding football.

Agreed.

Contrasting the character/friendship of Sayers and Piccolo to the insanity of the NFL today reminds me why so many have gone from loyal fanatics of their home team to indifference.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Many reasons I am a life long Bears Fan... Players like this gave me reasons to love the tradition of the team. Great Character guys who are loyal, dedicated and just great human beings. God knows its not for their winning %. Halas did a great job of picking some great players during his time.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, How much money did great RB's make in '67?

playdeep

Reaction score
I remember when Howard Cosell previewed Brian's Song at halftime of Monday night football and interviewed Gale Sayers about the movie.
...man I'm phuking old.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I remember when Howard Cosell previewed Brian's Song at halftime of Monday night football and interviewed Gale Sayers about the movie.
...man I'm phuking old.

ee2b15b6-6dcf-410f-87ff-5cb1301c3664.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
Many reasons I am a life long Bears Fan... Players like this gave me reasons to love the tradition of the team. Great Character guys who are loyal, dedicated and just great human beings. God knows its not for their winning %. Halas did a great job of picking some great players during his time.

I was never given a choice, my life was already decided that I am a Bears fan, my mom's side of the family is from the north side of Chicago, my dad's side has always had roots right here in Vegas, that side of the family has been here since the late 40's.

Anyhow at age 35 I was taught Brian's Song at a young age, even read it as a play in middle school. Something that has stuck with me forever.

Before football went political, on Sundays I would fly my Bears or Golden Knights flags
FB_IMG_1600986803930.jpg

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
This is pretty cool