WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Game Changer... this time it really is.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
It’s real! I caught wind of this about a month ago from a guy who is definitely “in the know” when I was contemplating buying a new sled. He said wait, new shit will pop in 30 days that’s right up your alley!

JD D05

Reaction score
It’s real! I caught wind of this about a month ago from a guy who is definitely “in the know” when I was contemplating buying a new sled. He said wait, new shit will pop in 30 days that’s right up your alley!

They are already in local warehouses. My buddy has 4, ready to roll on Friday.

JD D05

Reaction score
In 1982 the wife and I bought two 9500 Skidoo's. That was big shit back then. Some good times. I'd run out of talent on the new machines but, I'd die with one big fucking smile on my face.

These machines get a lot of folk into shit they can't handle lol. You would be fine

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
These machines get a lot of folk into shit they can't handle lol. You would be fine
We are selling our place on the coast and buying a place in Eastern Oregon. We've talked about spending a winter or two in the snow and getting two new machines. I haven't a clue where to start.

JD D05

Reaction score
We are selling our place on the coast and buying a place in Eastern Oregon. We've talked about spending a winter or two in the snow and getting two new machines. I haven't a clue where to start.

I could help with that....depends on what and how you want to ride. But in my opinion its either ski doo or Polaris

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Loved mine till I windowed the block.:eek:

Never buy a first year model!:confused::mad:

Big difference between buying a factory turbo rig and an aftermarket set-up. And can-am seems to have their shit together on all their factory turbo rigs. JMO

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Big difference between buying a factory turbo rig and an aftermarket set-up. And can-am seems to have their shit together on all their factory turbo rigs. JMO

Loved mine till I windowed the block.:eek:

Never buy a first year model!:confused::mad:

Now Polaris on the other hand I wouldn't buy their first year of anything..

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
In 1982 the wife and I bought two 9500 Skidoo's. That was big shit back then. Some good times. I'd run out of talent on the new machines but, I'd die with one big fucking smile on my face.

The blizzard 9500 - great machine trying to remember without looking it up but I think it was a 550 water cooled twin.. I used to run down yamahas pretty hard with that.

My badest ass sled was a ported/ milled thundercat 1100 triple.

Dont have such experience on the new 4 stroke stuff, but looking forward to it.

UD

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The blizzard 9500 - great machine trying to remember without looking it up but I think it was a 550 water cooled twin.. I used to run down yamahas pretty hard with that.

My badest ass sled was a ported/ milled thundercat 1100 triple.

Dont have such experience on the new 4 stroke stuff, but looking forward to it.

UD
Water cooled twin, two stroke. Dual Mikuni carbs that where hard to keep running until it warmed up.

buck35

Reaction score
Now Polaris on the other hand I wouldn't buy their first year of anything..

I did the first year proride in 10, spring ordered an 11. A sweet ride till it blew up idling down a trail at about 1200 miles.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Can-am has been working on this motor for quite a few years and a ton of testing. Before they came out with the X3 there was talk about 1000cc version for their SXS line. Something happened, word was EPA and street use of a 2stroke.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Only 165 horsepower. That sucks.

Really thats it?

Not impressive considering my old cat was way over 200 and could just about hit 130 on lake.

I never did mountain sledding, now that Im up in he sierras all the time its going to start this season.

UD

prorider

Reaction score
That’s what they’re saying. Maintain that up to 8000 ft

JD D05

Reaction score
Really thats it?

Not impressive considering my old cat was way over 200 and could just about hit 130 on lake.

I never did mountain sledding, now that Im up in he sierras all the time its going to start this season.

UD

Aftermarket kits like Silber are 200 plus. With that said my stock 850 is pretty ridiculous. Mountain riding is obviously very different, top speed means nothing. The track with the 3 inch lugs will throw paddles over 50mph. I am sure Evo etc will have tunes for them soon also to bump it.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I was told its 165hp at the track. Most snomo's are at the crank and you lose approximately 30%+ through the cvt.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Aftermarket kits like Silber are 200 plus. With that said my stock 850 is pretty ridiculous. Mountain riding is obviously very different, top speed means nothing. The track with the 3 inch lugs will throw paddles over 50mph. I am sure Evo etc will have tunes for them soon also to bump it.

Im leery of aftermarket shit, having bought and blown up a ton of shit in my life - but boondockers put a pretty good clutch kit together for my RZR and finally stopped the shredded belt issue every other ride.

Haven't done lots of mountain riding, but some in evergreen col, I was on a ZRT 600 triple -not much of a powder rig but still impressed me as fun and responsive. Did some brainerd minnesota riding too.

Grew in in small hills, moderate terrain , woods, and fast open areas like lakes and cornfields. Short to moderate tracks.

We've all got our preferences for sure, but most of these rigs are pretty bitchin.

UD

JD D05

Reaction score
Im leery of aftermarket shit, having bought and blown up a ton of shit in my life - but boondockers put a pretty good clutch kit together for my RZR and finally stopped the shredded belt issue every other ride.

Haven't done lots of mountain riding, but some in evergreen col, I was on a ZRT 600 triple -not much of a powder rig but still impressed me as fun and responsive. Did some brainerd minnesota riding too.

Grew in in small hills, moderate terrain , woods, and fast open areas like lakes and cornfields. Short to moderate tracks.

We've all got our preferences for sure, but most of these rigs are pretty bitchin.

UD

That's why I have not done a turbo on my sled. They seem to be pretty dialed in but I don't want to miss time due to issues etc. Yes the big 3 all have good mountain sleds. If you ever want to come out and try my buddy runs a great operation out here in Utah.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
That's why I have not done a turbo on my sled. They seem to be pretty dialed in but I don't want to miss time due to issues etc. Yes the big 3 all have good mountain sleds. If you ever want to come out and try my buddy runs a great operation out here in Utah.

Doesnt happen to be Mack at mountain performance in Draper does it?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
No...Tracked Out

Gotcha.. turbo sleds and utah always makes me think of mack as I have delt with him quite a bit in the past. Super cool guy with a ton of knowledge building turbo kits. He helped Yamaha with the turbo kits for the nytro and was a consultant for the yxz. . And he was one of the first to develop a working "reliable" turbo kit when the rzr 800 came out for trey at MCX

rrrr

Reaction score
This new Rotax engine is what the aircraft industry calls "turbonormalized", that is, it puts out a constant rated horsepower as altitude increases, instead of providing a large horsepower boost across the engine's operating RPM band.

This method simply ties the wastegate to a barometric altimeter. As the altitude increases and atmospheric pressure drops, it adjusts the boost to keep the intake air charge pressure equal to 29.92" Hg, which is the standard barometric pressure at sea level.

This keeps the engine's horsepower output at its sea level rating of 165 HP up to 8,000' (according to the product literature), at which point the wastegate is completely closed and the turbocharger is producing its maximum volume. A turbonormalized system makes the boost level transparent to the engine, and thus has no deleterious effect on operating stresses and longevity.

JD D05

Reaction score
It’s cute how you guys think SXS are death traps :)

I never said that. I said they scare me lol, but that has everything to do with the sand dune scene. I have only been a passenger and coming over a blind dune at 50 mph freaks me out.

Avalanches are the biggest risk snowmobiling. I am L1 certified and know how to manage conditions. With that said most snowmobile riders don't.

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score
Nothing more true in sledding than know yor limitations, and conditions.

prorider

Reaction score
Will be easier to make motor live with such little boost. In Colorado we start at 8000. I agree avalanches suck.

JD D05

Reaction score
IMG_20200117_180941_912.jpg

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Snow machines are a blast. We've only done the rental ones by Island Park and Brundage, but they are a ton of fun.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I am by no means a snomo guy. But always interested in performance shit. Let us know what you think after you run it.

Have fuk'ed with quite a few snomo set ups in sand drag chassis though..lol

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Do you ride in areas with posted avalanche warnings? The guy in Oregon did.

Everywhere we ride is an avalanche prone area. That’s why we have sleds with big HP and giant tracks. “The guy in Oregon did” is kind of a bullshit statement, because we all do, essentially every time we kick a leg over a sled or a bike.

rrrr

Reaction score
Everywhere we ride is an avalanche prone area. That’s why we have sleds with big HP and giant tracks. “The guy in Oregon did” is kind of a bullshit statement, because we all do, essentially every time we kick a leg over a sled or a bike.

It wasn't bullshit at all, it's a fact. I asked a question about avalanche warnings, it was answered as I thought it would be.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
These guys are not riding groomed trails at the snow park.. any "off trail" mountain riding has potential for an avalanche. I honestly think that's part of the thrill they seek. No different than say, cliff diving, sky diving things that thrill seekers seek. Like us the run the river that is deemed unnavicable. Shit can happen at any time, and some time it does. Some better at it that others and some can read the terrain better than others and some shouldn't be there at all. I have a buddy that knows the river better than most(even the sheriff) I've see people try and fallow him, they missed his path by 2 - 3 feet and split there jet boat right down the keel from a boulder just under the water line. I know they make radio avalanche beacons, but honestly, how many mountain riders use them? I have friends that do and friends that dont. It's all about that adrenaline!! And I'm sure "that guy from Oregon" knew what he was doing and knew the risk but his luck ran out. People die in car accidents on there way to work or home everyday! At least he was doing what he loved.....