WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Game Of Thrones (the good thread)

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I also feel like it is rushed and no "Didnt see that coming" moments. That is part of what made the show unpredictable and exciting in the past. Disappointed in the season so far. How many of her own solders did the Mother of Dragons kill?

There were just so many more interesting possibilities that were not used. I agree it's as if they just said F-it, let's get it over with.....

Arya coming in as Joffrie and killing Cersei. Coming as Theon and killing Euron. And I'm still confused as to why Arya was even in the city????? She backed off mighty quickly when the Hound told her leave or die.

I hope the hell they've saved it all up for a spectacular finale last week, cause this episode was so disappointing. Dany was killing just to be killing against the good she was to be fighting for to this point.

Jon and Tyrion just seemed totally confused and Arya again, just seemed to be lost with no goal.

But how they showed Cersei's death left us almost without closure. Hell maybe she survived and the finale will deliver.....If not the final season of a helluva series has fallen flat:mad:

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
There were just so many more interesting possibilities that were not used. I agree it's as if they just said F-it, let's get it over with.....

Arya coming in as Joffrie and killing Cersei. Coming as Theon and killing Euron. And I'm still confused as to why Arya was even in the city????? She backed off mighty quickly when the Hound told her leave or die.

I hope the hell they've saved it all up for a spectacular finale last week, cause this episode was so disappointing. Dany was killing just to be killing against the good she was to be fighting for to this point.

Jon and Tyrion just seemed totally confused and Arya again, just seemed to be lost with no goal.

But how they showed Cersei's death left us almost without closure. Hell maybe she survived and the finale will deliver.....If not the final season of a helluva series has fallen flat:mad:

Hey OT,

I agree with almost your entire assessment. BUT...I don't think Cersei and Jamie are dead. Arya still needs to kill her. They made far to much noise about her and the needle for it not to happen. If they are dead, geez, was that ever anticlimactic.

Agree that Jon and Tyrion just wandered around confused like..."whats up"

Old Texan

Reaction score
Interesting take from a reader......

• A Reddit user sharply recalled that George R. R. Martin shared his idea for an ending with HBO Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
• Martin reaffirmed in April that he shared the “major points” of the ending.
• With Sunday’s penultimate episode, have we already begun to see how Martin always planned for things to end?

" data-reactid="24" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> A Reddit user sharply recalled that George R. R. Martin shared his idea for an ending with HBO Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
• Martin reaffirmed in April that he shared the “major points” of the ending.
• With Sunday’s penultimate episode, have we already begun to see how Martin always planned for things to end?

Game of Thrones episode, "The Bells," fans everywhere are trying to make sense of what we've already seen, and what could still be to come in next week's grand series finale.

Ahead of that finale, everyone seems to be working their way through the archives, thinking of any clues or hints that may have come away. And while not a prediction of any sort, one fan mad an astute observation that crawled its way to the top of Reddit's homepage.

A Song of Ice and Fire series-shared his key ending points with Game of Thrones' HBO showrunners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, years ago. While the road taken may not be the same road that Martin takes in his (eventually released) books, these key points are by and large the ones that he's always planned on. " data-reactid="27" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">As that user, u/sam1405, sharply recalled, George R. R. Martin-the writer of the original A Song of Ice and Fire series-shared his key ending points with Game of Thrones' HBO showrunners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, years ago. While the road taken may not be the same road that Martin takes in his (eventually released) books, these key points are by and large the ones that he's always planned on.

That was it. That was the scouring of the shire that GRRM intended to end with. Some of it didn't make complete sense because the way we got there was very different to how the books will get there, but that was GRRM's ending for sure. Although he will likely change it now (that's assuming he ever finishes the books).

The Northmen who we assumed as the good guys are rapists. The unsullied who we assumed are the liberators kill unarmed people. Danerys who we assumed would be free of the curse of Targaryen genes is a mad queen. Cleganebowl results in Sandor dying by (a fall into) fire, his worst fear. GRRM wasn't subverting our expectations like D&D tried to in the rest of season 8, but he did want to twist a knife into our guts with a cruel reminder that in the world of ice and fire, there are no good guys and bad guys.

Episode 5 may be inconsistent with the rest of season 8, but that's because the show writers didn't follow all the steps in getting there. But as a book reader I'm convinced that generally speaking that was how George wanted this story to end. GRRM himself stated the show's ending will be pretty damn similar to his own based on everything he told D&D.

As soon as it became clear that the show was going to pass the books Martin shared his intended ending with Benioff and Weiss.

Rolling Stone, Martin said that while he didn't read any scripts, or see any advance screenings of Thrones episodes, he did have meetings with the showrunner pair where they had "discussed stuff."

He said that he expected to be surprised by the ending-somewhat.

"" data-reactid="38" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"Well, to a degree. I mean, I think … the major points of the ending will be things that I told them, you know, five or six years ago," he said. "But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added."

" data-reactid="39" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

While Martin, in this case, obviously has little-to-nothing to do with the execution of those "major points," everything that we've been told makes it clear that structurally, this is the story that he's always intended to tell.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Just watched the latest episode. Interesting how fast Daenerys turned into the "mad queen" when they spent seasons developing her character as good. Don't think she would have turned that fast.

Cersei death was too simple for me. But, maybe they were looking at it like poetic justice? She died under the city/people she hated when she always thought she was better than them? Still didn't like it and how she got to die with Jaime.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Just watched the latest episode. Interesting how fast Daenerys turned into the "mad queen" when they spent seasons developing her character as good. Don't think she would have turned that fast.

Cersei death was too simple for me. But, maybe they were looking at it like poetic justice? She died under the city/people she hated when she always thought she was better than them? Still didn't like it and how she got to die with Jaime.

Is Cercei really dead? I didnt see her lifeless body. I wanted Arya to stick her with her little sword. Quite the letdown.

Who else think Jon kills Dani?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Is Cercei really dead? I didnt see her lifeless body. I wanted Arya to stick her with her little sword. Quite the letdown.

I think it will be Arya. Having said that, what if Jon goes to kill Dani, the dragon is there, but doesn’t light Jon up because he is a Targaryen? So many twists.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
A Stark really needed to kill Cersei. [emoji1418]. For her pos kid executing their dad.

Singleton

Reaction score

Arya kills Dani, after Dani kills John

Socalx09

Reaction score

Hope she isn't dead! More suffering!

I think Daenerys may kill Jon instead. And, then Arya kills her.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The last episode was a let down for sure.. that said the point I take away from it is “the more things change the more things stay the same.”

Dani flipped out and burned everyone and for what? She’s no better than anyone previous. She will get killed in the finale for sure. Some shithead will sit on the Throne at this point.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

agree 100%

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I read in one of the spoilers that Bran ends up King.

zwevhjtmfjx21.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

beertruck

Reaction score
I'm thinking Jon is going to have to kill Dani, and he will have trouble dealing with it. Not wanting to be king he will travel north to live with the wildlings, and ghost.
Tyrian will sit on the thrown, as we will find out he is part Targarian ( bastard son of the mad king)

Tank

Reaction score
They have a shit ton of stuff to cover in an hour and a half!

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I'm thinking Jon is going to have to kill Dani, and he will have trouble dealing with it. Not wanting to be king he will travel north to live with the wildlings, and ghost.
Tyrian will sit on the thrown, as we will find out he is part Targarian ( bastard son of the mad king)
Good theory. I was wondering a few seasons back how he could end up on the throne.

Maybe they’ll do away with the throne and start a democracy.
M.W.G.A.
Make Westeros Great Again! :D

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I just read an article with a theory that Bran is actually evil, and controlled the dragon while Dany was riding it burning up Westeros. Who knows? So many options.

Another was that Arya was actually dead when she finds the white horse and rides away on it.

redone76

Reaction score
Bran's going to wake up after falling out of the tower and realize it's all a dream....

Tank

Reaction score
Gendry.... Gendry will be king. ;)

You know, hey have really held onto his story line and make it known he's barathions son over and over and over again numerous times subtly through the show's seasons. It makes you think, why all the screen time if he's just a insignificant first lay for arya?

TrollerDave

Reaction score
You know, hey have really held onto his story line and make it known he's barathions son over and over and over again numerous times subtly through the show's seasons. It makes you think, why all the screen time if he's just a insignificant first lay for arya?
Good point.
But would that mean Danerys and Jon both die?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Good point.
But would that mean Danerys and Jon both die?
Grey worm is going to try to shank Jon and they will kill each other off then Sansa will have Arya wipe the floor with Dani. Then Drogon fries Arya and Sansa and flies away.
Who knows? At this point, last weeks episode proves everything and everyone are fair game. Dani flat out said she would rule by fear. Yeah, check that box.

gqchris

Reaction score
I thought the white horse was actually Bran channeling it and picking up Arya. Seemed like it could be.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Well it's over.....Great series, horribly written ending.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Pretty much a let down.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Pure disappointment... when it was over the wife and I looked at each other like Wtf. Of all the talented people out there in the world this is the best they came up with?

Socalx09

Reaction score
I understand there’s not going to be a way to make everyone happy with a show like this. But, I’m not sure how that ending or these past episodes made anyone happy.

Singleton

Reaction score
Writers played it way to safe this season.
They tried to make everyone happy, and in the end the last episode was not that great.

wet hull

Reaction score
Waste of 6 weeks. Ending could not have been worse. HBO should refund my subscription.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Should have went to black and played "Don't Stop Believing":D

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Well, there is some good news, a new episode of Chernobyl premieres tomorrow.

dave29

Reaction score
Did I miss something???? Where did the last dragon end up???????

Tank

Reaction score
I think the whole season was a little off. Maybe they were just over it. Maybe not having Martin 100% on-board or any source material to go off of aided in less than stellar writing (though they didn't have the source material last season either and that was a better season). Maybe the audience in general is just pissed because it's ending. Like I said, this whole season seemed rushed and lacked depth. With that said, there's no ending that would have made everyone happy. I think it was a decent ending. Leaves a lot left for some GOT movies down the road in a few years showing 10 years past and what the characters are doing ;)

We'll see about this pre-quell that is in the makings. Supposedly 300 years or so prior to the mad kings time.

jailbird141

Reaction score
Worst series finale ever. Epic Fail on the part of the writer's. :(

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
such a disappointment, felt very rushed and unfinished.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Was this show where the "Laura Croft" character was borne from?