WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage Door Electrical Gremlin Issues....

probablecause

Reaction score
I have a Lift Master garage door opener for my RV garage door, and it sits up by the spring. I also have a hardwired open/close remote about 10 feet away which always has an indicator light on it. Yesterday, I went outside because I saw it open. When I went to close it via the remote, it would not work and there was no indicator light on it.

So I unplugged it and also reset the breaker but no change. However, when I took the remote off and unscrewed one of the connecting wires, the garage door started to go down. I tightened it and did the same for the other leg and it moved again. Any idea what the gremlin might be?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Is it working fine now? or still have a problem?

Perhaps the wire from the controller to the opener is chaffed, severed, or shorted. If stapled to the wall they could have went through the wire insulation with the staples.

You could try bypassing the existing wires and running new ones just to test for consistent operation.

Last edited:

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Picture ? Electrical issues, I almost always start with checking the connections, remove, clean, shiny clean connections, spray electrical cleaner in every spot on it.. let dry. Reconnect. Test.

of course this starts with a picture of it BEFORE I DO ANYTHING ELSE... pictures as I take it apart if appropriate s well.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I say the wire got pinched (staple) when it was installed , replace wire.

probablecause

Reaction score
Is it working fine now? or still have a problem?

Perhaps the wire from the controller to the opener is chaffed severed or shorted. If stapled to the wall they could have went through the wire insulation with the staples.

You could try bypassing the existing wires and running new ones just to test for consistent operation.
Still does not work. I have inspected the staples and they have not penetrated any wires. If I hold the controller in my hand with the red and white wires on the back tightly screwed in, as soon as I start to loosen either one, the door starts to move. There are no frayed wires visible and al connections are tight. Nothing has hit or damaged any of the wires. I did not know if the controllers actually go bad over time. It is a
Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Still does not work. I have inspected the staples and they have not penetrated any wires. If I hold the controller in my hand with the red and white wires on the back tightly screwed in, as soon as I start to loosen either one, the door starts to move. There are no frayed wires visible and al connections are tight. Nothing has hit or damaged any of the wires. I did not know if the controllers actually go bad over time. It is a
Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control

Interesting.. but you get no amber connectivity light and the button does not work? I'd say the wall controller has gone bad.

probablecause

Reaction score
Interesting.. but you get no amber connectivity light and the button does not work? I'd say the wall controller has gone bad.
I think so too. I have the hot connected with the white hanging. As soon as I touch the white to its screw, the garage door moves either up or down depending on its last position. The remote just appears to be dead as far as a controlling unit.