WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage door repair

Dbroncos

Reaction score
My overhead spring on my double car roll up garage door spring broke today. Watched a few you tube videos and doesn't seem like rocket science to replace but the door and opener are almost 20 years old and thinking of just replacing everything. Has anyone used a garage door company near Chino Ca? Thanks

Spot

Reaction score
Robert - Douglas Door Repair. I called out Robert a few weeks ago and he was great. He responded same day. 909-225-1622

77charger

Reaction score
I did the springs on
My old house myself not a big deal watched a video tgat gave good detail. I’m also a mechanical type person which helps. Just gotta go it slowly and use caution.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I did the springs on
My old house myself not a big deal watched a video tgat gave good detail. I’m also a mechanical type person which helps. Just gotta go it slowly and use caution.

Did one on my house. They are not that complicated. As said, use some common sense and take your time.

530RL

Reaction score
Springs are cheap. Replace both.

Also you can buy spring wrenches at Home Depot.

Dbroncos

Reaction score
Thanks, watched a few videos and ordered parts along with the wrenches on amazon. should be delivered today. thanks

dryhoze1

Reaction score
I’ve done my own springs. Being a firefighter I’ve also been on several calls with terrible result. Including one fatal.

Please be careful..

77charger

Reaction score
Thanks, watched a few videos and ordered parts along with the wrenches on amazon. should be delivered today. thanks
A pair of vise grips is also useful not sure which vids you watched but had to use a pair on the cross bar to keep it from spinning a file is also handy to have too.Like said take time check twice especially when winding the springs,

Crazy how price difference is in ca i was quoted 400 for the total job.Here in az my neighbor is a garage guy he said its about 200 here for spring change.He did my house before we bought it said i have thte good heavy duty springs

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You can DIY - like with any job, be careful - take your time - stay off to the side, make sure the rods are all the way in the hole each time
Replace both springs with the correct ones 👍

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I was in my living room watching tv when my spring went......thought it was a car crash outside.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I've done it, you need 8 point sockets and two of the rod "tools" to wind up the springs. I got mine on ebay, local supplier won't sell to DIY types.

Not rocket science, go slow as others have said and save a bundle.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
If you decide you don’t want to deal with it, Alex has helped me out a couple of times. Even replaced the springs at a pretty reasonable price. I got his number from a guy i worked with who recommended him and was really happy with his service.

Dbroncos

Reaction score
Well here is the update. ordered the wrong springs, was told the ones i got would lift an rv garage through my second story. sent back to amazon and called All American Door out of Riverside. In and out in 20 minutes $175 parts and labor. Great people and great price as all the other quotes i got were between 3 and 5 hundred.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Well here is the update. ordered the wrong springs, was told the ones i got would lift an rv garage through my second story. sent back to amazon and called All American Door out of Riverside. In and out in 20 minutes $175 parts and labor. Great people and great price as all the other quotes i got were between 3 and 5 hundred.

yup, for that price pay someone to do it.

For the other price range, I did it myself. In my case I pushed the door past the top to create about a foot of space to work in and didn't have to fight the spring tension. Then messed with it to get them adjusted right.