WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage Door Windows

SHEP

Reaction score
The way my house sits the afternoon and evening sun beats directly on my garage door. I have windows at the top of the door which basically cooks the garage. What's the best way to replace those windows with something the sun can't get through? I already put reflective tint on them but it's not working as well as I would like. Should I just call a company to come replace the top section? My fear with that is it won't match and I don't really want a whole new garage door.

Thanks,

SHEP

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
The way my house sits the afternoon and evening sun beats directly on my garage door. I have windows at the top of the door which basically cooks the garage. What's the best way to replace those windows with something the sun can't get through? I already put reflective tint on them but it's not working as well as I would like. Should I just call a company to come replace the top section? My fear with that is it won't match and I don't really want a whole new garage door.

Thanks,

SHEP
If you replace the top section with a panel without windows your springs will be off.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
31H1OGxre4L.jpg

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score
i did my old house the cheap redneck way, i taped them off or removed the windows and painted them black. worked well and just looked like they were tinted black. No light ever came in and no one could ever peak in to see what i had in the garage. At the time it was my STV Euro.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I have the same thing going on so I am going to tint window with uv block film then have tap plastic cut me plexiglass glass to fit inside leaving an air gap between simply siliconed in place . Should make it like a double pane window.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I don't have windows in my garage door, but I insulated it with the garage door insulation kit. Pretty noticeable difference in how hot the garage gets.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
do the foil backed bubble wrap insulation. it really works. I put it in a steel building in sacramento. it reduce the temp by 15 degree, with just that. the wall surface temp droped by almost 60 degree.

rrrr

Reaction score

I cut rectangular openings in the bottom door panel and installed four 12" X 8" return air grilles, then painted them to match the door. I also installed a 36" square RA grill in the garage ceiling which vents into the attic. I blocked off the attic gable end vent and two roof turbines and installed a 1600 CFM fan in a round hole in the blanked off gable vent. It has a thermostat.

All this draws outside air through the garage, and it lowered the temperature about twenty degrees. It also lowered the attic temperature by the same amount.

aade775e-ee55-4957-9fbd-05e8a3972717_1000.jpg