WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage door ?

termiteguy

Reaction score
With all this rain my garage door will not rollup with out me helping it due to swelling of the framing of the garage. My question is what lube should I use on the tracks to help it lift easier. Thanks Rob

Jimmy

Reaction score
I'd use Silicone grease spray

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
With all this rain my garage door will not rollup with out me helping it due to swelling of the framing of the garage. My question is what lube should I use on the tracks to help it lift easier. Thanks Rob

My segmented door becomes "tempermental" occasionally in the rain I think the foam core gets damp/heavy and screws with the sensitivity sensors

rrrr

Reaction score

I use white lithium grease spray. It's thick enough to cling to the tracks and lasts for three or four months before another application is needed. I spray the rollers too.

CRC and WD-40 are available at WalMart or Home Depot. It's about $6 a can.

dd38839e31aa0df59643a16bfc202718b9.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
You might just need a couple turns on the spring. They get weak over time and require a little more tension.

I did mine myself but it is dangerous as shit. Might get a door guy out to check it.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Funny......I've been annoyed by mine lately as well. Was gonna ask too who uses what to help smooth it up. Mine seems to be getting caught up on the rail that it slides on in the center. I used a degreaser to clean it up first. Seemed a lil tacky from old lube. Helped a lil, but still sticks just enough to freeze the door. Always happens when it gets cooler.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Get a belt drive next time and you won't have to worry about that middle track. Their also quite a shit.

If screw drive try to clean some of the old grease out if it is gummy then apply any #2 grease.
Chain drive hit it with some CR, WD40 or chain lube.
If the side rails have the metal shafts on the door side and the rollers that ride in the frame rails give each roller a shot of CR or WD40 where it attaches to the shaft.

It could be that the opening face wood is swelling or warping due to the moisture content and causing the tracks it tow in which in turn may apply unnecessary pressure on the track rollers.

Good luck.

termiteguy

Reaction score

I use white lithium grease spray. It's thick enough to cling to the tracks and lasts for three or four months before another application is needed. I spray the rollers too.

CRC and WD-40 are available at WalMart or Home Depot. It's about $6 a can.

View attachment 530447

This what I use worked great

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score

Lube questions should be directed towards GRADS. He's the expect on all lubes non drive train related.

:finger A little Strawberry Emotion Lotion and you'll be good to go.:thumbsup

rrrr

Reaction score
You might just need a couple turns on the spring. They get weak over time and require a little more tension.

I did mine myself but it is dangerous as shit. Might get a door guy out to check it.

This is good advice. Back in the 80's I was living in Houston and did some garage door work on the side. The pressboard panels used on doors back then turned into mush in the wet climate, and replacement was needed.

The springs have a shitload of stored energy, and if you lose control of the bar it could be thrown into you. The results would be messy. :eek

My chain opener quit working about six months ago and I replaced it with a belt drive unit. The pulleys have cogs, and the belt looks like an eight foot long skinny Gilmer blower belt. The opener is really quiet, and seems like it is not laboring at all to raise the door. It's much better than a chain unit.