WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage floor coating

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So I read in one of the posts about the ability of the product to hold 10 psi. Are there times when hydrostatic pressure is to great? Are moisture tests ever performed. Also what about sweat. My garage is crazy in the springtime.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
So I read in one of the posts about the ability of the product to hold 10 psi. Are there times when hydrostatic pressure is to great? Are moisture tests ever performed. Also what about sweat. My garage is crazy in the springtime.
That's because the floor is colder than the springtime air. Condensation forms wherever warm meets cold. Lots of folks believe that its caused my moisture coming up through the concrete. That just isnt the case.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
So, what should I do for this? One of my shop buildings has paint or something on the floor that keeps flaking up and looks like crap. It needs to be able to handle constant abuse as it's a body shop. I'd love a light gray or white coating, but I've never seen anything hold up except polished and sealed concrete. I just want something that will mop and clean easy. View attachment 720510

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We recently laid down about 16,000 square feet of this stuff from Factory1 Floor Coatings. Diamond ground the original epoxy coating (about 15 years old) as it was still in tacked and laid right over it. This is in a manufacturing environment and gets lots of abuse. Two part epoxy with crushed quartz broadcast.

49464A9E-8E2D-43B2-B0E2-87820537BA55.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
Well crap, stuff looks beautiful. Unfortunately my scenario isn't conducive to pretty floors I guess. Building cars for people and lots of fab stuff. If slag will mess it up, and fluids can soften it, guess I'm sticking with concrete:(

I use the home depot stuff..

I spill fuel, oil, ethanol, lacquer thinner weekly, grinding, welding, dropping pipes, setting motors and trannys down...

I think it would get trashed in my garage.

CoronaChris

Reaction score
So I read in one of the posts about the ability of the product to hold 10 psi. Are there times when hydrostatic pressure is to great? Are moisture tests ever performed. Also what about sweat. My garage is crazy in the springtime.[/
Do you see a lot of white powder on the concrete? Efflorescence? If so I would test the concrete for moisture just to make sure you won't have any issues down the line. Most epoxies can with stand 2-3 lbs of moisture within the concrete. Test kits are pretty cheap vapor gauge makes a good one. This is where prep is key and using the correct high grade products come into play. No Home Depot products

CoronaChris

Reaction score
I use the home depot stuff..

I spill fuel, oil, ethanol, lacquer thinner weekly, grinding, welding, dropping pipes, setting motors and trannys down...

I think it would get trashed in my garage.
Sorry for misleading you with my statement. Epoxies can with stand great chemical resistance such as gasoline, motor oils, transmission fluids etc.. I recommend wiping spills up as soon as possible to avoid discoloring or softening the product. Brake fluid and fuels especially. I own hot rods and Harley's that drip oil and transmission fluids and sit for weeks if not months with no effect to the epoxy. Simply wipe the epoxy with a paper towel and its clean. Try doing that with bare concrete.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ok. This shit is cool looking and all , but my question is. Something so nice , how do you even drive anything on it.

I see myself not even walking on it and leaving dirt from shoes. And what happened. To just having a garage floor that you sweep or hose out ?
[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Thanks Corona Chris. It's probably easier to list the things that are not wrong with my garage floor. :D
Build new and start fresh is my opinion. I was a C-15 Flooring Contractor in cal in the 90's so I do understand moisture testing and all. Again thanks.

Ok. This shit is cool looking and all , but my question is. Something so nice , how do you even drive anything on it.

I see myself not even walking on it and leaving dirt from shoes. And what happened. To just having a garage floor that you sweep or hose out ?
[emoji202]

That's for milk barns.. :D

CoronaChris

Reaction score

[emoji202]

That's what it is designed for milkmoney, to use it. Durable, great looking floor system that is a step above the plan gray or tan solid epoxy. Now you can match your exterior home colors, favorite race or sports team colors or go full custom.

buck35

Reaction score
I think where mm is going is in climates with winter and such ,the crap is hat comes in on tires and vehicles is unreal. That and a quarter mile gravel driveway for me would make it a maintenance nightmare. Sure do like nice though.!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Thanks Corona Chris. It's probably easier to list the things that are not wrong with my garage floor. :D
Build new and start fresh is my opinion. I was a C-15 Flooring Contractor in cal in the 90's so I do understand moisture testing and all. Again thanks.

Lol. Did you see hula's thread on the milk barn he was working in. [emoji106]

CoronaChris

Reaction score

No problem I've done some pretty nasty floors in my time and to this day not one warranty claim from peeling or delamination. In my professional opinion Garages are low risk applications. Once prepared correctly and the right products are specified your chances of failures are greatly reduced.

Pictured here is a hammered floor 1500 sq ft efflorescence, cracks and major divots. Grind to clean white concrete, repair concrete, deep clean, apply the F1 direct to concrete epoxy, flake to full broadcast, smooth and clear.
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    630.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 72

milkmoney

Reaction score
That's what it is designed for milkmoney, to use it. Durable, great looking floor system that is a step above the plan gray or tan solid epoxy. Now you can match your exterior home colors, favorite race or sports team colors or go full custom.
I understand. Guess I am from a different world and budget to put that much money into a garage floor.

Although I think it is very cool looking....[emoji106]

milkmoney

Reaction score
I think where mm is going is in climates with winter and such ,the crap is hat comes in on tires and vehicles is unreal. That and a quarter mile gravel driveway for me would make it a maintenance nightmare. Sure do like nice though.!
Country folk VS city folk. Lol.

I get it and agree [emoji39]

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
funny how that holds true for all coatings from house walls to boat hulls, steel, alum, galv. and concrete floors too. Prep is where all the work is and the difference in value, durability and quality.
Ya know, if you actually read and follow the directions on a rattle can of spray paint it works pretty good?
:p:p:p

Mototrig

Reaction score
If you do work in your garage, tinker on cars or overhaul anything, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to a flat color without any speckled color chips. If you drop anything small like a screw or a whasher it disappears. See if you can spot the screw in this picture.
IMG_20190120_090001783.jpg
PhotoGrid_1548003837409.jpg

I wish I would have gone with Black and White checker flooring like a race shop.
Food for thought.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
That Mototrig, is an excellent point. Your floor looks great from here. So hows that stuff look using the readers? Any dizziness or nausea? :D

wzuber

Reaction score
If you drop anything small like a screw or a whasher it disappears
hell....I'm dizzy just looking at that pic....haha
I usually have to get down and look parallel to the surface to see dropped shit as it is on my beat to shit shop floors. I'm not sure I could find stuff on that type floor even doing that.

buck35

Reaction score
If you do work in your garage, tinker on cars or overhaul anything, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to a flat color without any speckled color chips. If you drop anything small like a screw or a whasher it disappears. See if you can spot the screw in this picture.
View attachment 720631 View attachment 720633
I wish I would have gone with Black and White checker flooring like a race shop.
Food for thought.

This has be staged ,cause anything I drop will end up under the center of something. Always...

Mototrig

Reaction score
Well it looked badass when I had the garage redone. I have some pictures of the way the whole garage looked. The floor went will with the cabinets and all the drywall I did. But yeah it's dizzying to look for shit that I drop.

I have a few pictures at work I'll post up tomorrow.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I used to work on helicopters in several large aircraft hangers. In each hanger the floors were always white, I could see EVERYTHING that I dropped. Even an 1/8th inch washer could be seen from 5 feet away. Back then it was very important if we dropped a screw or a small socket or tool it had to be found or all aircraft was downed for safety reasons until it was recovered. If the screw was dropped into the flight controls it would possibly lead to catastrophic failer of the aircraft.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. I never understood why the floors were white until the first time I dropped a screw on my freshly speckled garage floor. I was like "shit......now I get it" $1,400 later.