WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage Floor Epoxy Coatings

Meaney77

Reaction score
Question for you guys, I had my garage floor epoxy coated back in July. Overall I have been really happy with how it turned out.

Last night I was working on my buggy and dropped a wrench. When the wrench hit the ground, it took a Chip out of the epoxy. I also used a small floor jack to jack up my car and now I am realizing that it also chipped the floor. I thought these coatings are a little more durable than this, am I wrong? Should I not be working on my car in my garage?? Is this an issue with how the floor was preped before the epoxy was put on?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score
Mine has a lifetime warranty against chipping and cracking. Call the installer and ask about yours.

CoronaChris

Reaction score
Did you do it yourself? Looks like Home Depot style. Simple fix use q-tips to fill any chips if you have any left over liquid.

Jack stands or anything with sharpe edges I recommend a mat of some sort to protect the coating. Most are very durable but at the same time you can damage them.

Joker

Reaction score
It looks like a Home Depot floor. Cheap as they couldn’t even provide you full chip coverage.
I’d remove all that crap and do it right

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
It looks like a Home Depot floor. Cheap as they couldn’t even provide you full chip coverage.
I’d remove all that crap and do it right
I had HD do my garage about 15 years ago with only one small issue. Did you watch the game on Sat. Fight On!!! Lol :D

KevinR

Reaction score
Question for you guys, I had my garage floor epoxy coated back in July. Overall I have been really happy with how it turned out.

Last night I was working on my buggy and dropped a wrench. When the wrench hit the ground, it took a Chip out of the epoxy. I also used a small floor jack to jack up my car and now I am realizing that it also chipped the floor. I thought these coatings are a little more durable than this, am I wrong? Should I not be working on my car in my garage?? Is this an issue with how the floor was preped before the epoxy was put on?

View attachment 815998 View attachment 815999 View attachment 816000

Sorry to hear of your floor troubles. I have not had anything create chips, and I do the same. Drop tools, use floor jack and jack stands, etc.

My bet is bad prep, moisture and/or weak product.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Did you do it yourself? Looks like Home Depot style. Simple fix use q-tips to fill any chips if you have any left over liquid.

Jack stands or anything with sharpe edges I recommend a mat of some sort to protect the coating. Most are very durable but at the same time you can damage them.

Paid a floor guy to do the coating, not Home Depot kit.

CoronaChris

Reaction score
Bummer, how long has it been down and how did he prep? I would see if the company can stop by for a few quick fixes.

Joker

Reaction score
Paid a floor guy to do the coating, not Home Depot kit.

it just looks like they used cheap materials from the picture. A decent floor would have full chip coverage. Chips cost the installer money as does a quality clear coat.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Bummer, how long has it been down and how did he prep? I would see if the company can stop by for a few quick fixes.

We did the floor in July so its not very old. As far as prep, he brought in a big orbital floor sander and ground down everything. I asked him if they were going to do an acid wash or an etch of any sort and he said he didnt like using anything that would cause moisture in the floor which was why he sanded everything down.

Meaney77

Reaction score
it just looks like they used cheap materials from the picture. A decent floor would have full chip coverage. Chips cost the installer money as does a quality clear coat.
We wanted a light coat of flake- with the colors we chose, we thought it would be to dark in there.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I’d buy a couple of those rubbery floor mats and Costco and always put that under the jack and under the area you are working. None of them last forever.

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Its a coating. Its a paint product. They will scratch and they will chip. If you slide a metal wheeled floor jack ,engine stand ,cherry picker or drop a hammer you will have a negative effect. Epoxy floors work great for garages that are more of a show garage ( custom boats ,cars etc ) . Or lite duty wrenching with a mat or drop cloth. We do premium epoxy and custom epoxy on a daily basis is some of the finest homes around. Epoxy is tuff. Bulletproof NO.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Its a coating. Its a paint product. They will scratch and they will chip. If you slide a metal wheeled floor jack ,engine stand ,cherry picker or drop a hammer you will have a negative effect. Epoxy floors work great for garages that are more of a show garage ( custom boats ,cars etc ) . Or lite duty wrenching with a mat or drop cloth. We do premium epoxy and custom epoxy on a daily basis is some of the finest homes around. Epoxy is tuff. Bulletproof NO.

Good info. Some day I’ll have “Show Garage” with an epoxy floor!

CoronaChris

Reaction score
IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_6501.JPG
IMG_6592.JPG
IMG_6599.PNG
Few pics of the floors we recommend. Full flake, adds to the durability by adding thickness and just looks better IMO. If anyone wants a quote we have installers that do high quality work throughout SoCal and many surrounding states.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I’d buy a couple of those rubbery floor mats and Costco and always put that under the jack and under the area you are working. None of them last forever.
If you use a mat, make sure the backing is not rubber, that will hold moisture and stain the coating. Get something with a vinyl or carpet backing. Jmo

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We used Marc - Curb Appeal in Havasu. They did very good prep. Not cheap, but we've had no problems. 1250 sq ft. I'd definitely use them again.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Just got a rough estimate for
Supplies. I want to do it really bad. It sounds like Corona Chris’s stuff is the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD D05

Reaction score
Dude, a pillow under the tongue jack, I thought I had issues with using a rag, well played.

The first time I put the boat into the garage it was just sitting there from moving in...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The flakes/speckles look cool but if you are actually doing a lot of work in your garage it sucks. I had them in our house in Henderson and every time I dropped a small screw or something it was a nightmare trying to find it. There is a reason machine shops usually have light grey floors with no flake or speckle! :D

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I dont use epoxies. There are so many different floor coating systems out there it will make your head spin.

The system I've been applying is a urethane base coat, broadcast flake to rejection, then 2 coats of a polyaspartic clearcoat.

From what I've seen in the field, diamond grinding and shot blasting are the 2 most acceptable methods of surface prep.
It's got to be roughed up to create a mechanical bond to the concrete. Contaminates like oil spills, stains, etc need to all be dealt with accordingly.

Just like any other project, the key is in the prep work.

Sorry to read about your floor. I hope the installer can get it properly repaired for you.

Joker

Reaction score
I dont use epoxies. There are so many different floor coating systems out there it will make your head spin.

The system I've been applying is a urethane base coat, broadcast flake to rejection, then 2 coats of a polyaspartic clearcoat.

From what I've seen in the field, diamond grinding and shot blasting are the 2 most acceptable methods of surface prep.
It's got to be roughed up to create a mechanical bond to the concrete. Contaminates like oil spills, stains, etc need to all be dealt with accordingly.

Just like any other project, the key is in the prep work.

Sorry to read about your floor. I hope the installer can get it properly repaired for you.

Are you shot blasting or grinding for prep? I'd always include shot blasting but Id say a majority of the mom n pop shops just acid wash n go with most never ensuring they pull the acid back out before coating.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Are you shot blasting or grinding for prep? I'd always include shot blasting but Id say a majority of the mom n pop shops just acid wash n go with most never ensuring they pull the acid back out before coating.
I use a diamond wheel on a grinder.
Just did my own shop floor last week.

15736006047065598704387201229499.jpg
15736006246177154963764972890054.jpg

That's sawdust btw....

I put up the pallet racking this morning.
15736007409411154086744690879113.jpg

I'm still moving my stuff back in here, lots of things to get put away.
20191112_170835.jpg
20191112_170821.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I used the Rustoleum RockSolid that I bought at Lowes. The idea was that the floor was spalled from the salt dripping off the car(s) in the winter that it made sense to stop/slow down the spalling. It's been down dor two years and I am pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but it was never intended to be. I wrench in my garage and there are a few knicks and gouges in the coating. I touched them up with JB Weld before the snow flew this year. It has not pulled up or had any adhesion issues thus far. For the price I paid I am very happy.

JD D05

Reaction score
CDO issues you say, yet the electrical cord on the side of the boat is just strewn about on the floor. Tisk Tisk:D

Hahahaha! The boat is plugged in...now you got me thinking