WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage floor epoxy, with felt spacers

Buddy

Reaction score
I'm prepping my garage for epoxy but around the perimeter of my slab where it meets the cinder block wall I have about a 3/4" gap filled with felt. How do I go about this prep, I don't think I can coat over it

Attachments

• 20210805_161052.jpg
    20210805_161052.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 20210805_161048.jpg
    20210805_161048.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 192

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I would tape it off so your epoxy does NOT go over into the felt. But to make the felt look nicer you could fill/finish it with some "Deck-O-Seal" pool coping caulk to have a nice finished look. Might be more work than it's worth for some but that gap and felt would drive me bonkers.

Buddy

Reaction score
I would tape it off so your epoxy does NOT go over into the felt. But to make the felt look nicer you could fill/finish it with some "Deck-O-Seal" pool coping caulk to have a nice finished look. Might be more work than it's worth for some but that gap and felt would drive me bonkers.
Its already driving me bonkers, to the point I don't want to do the project. If I pull it all out I have a large ass gap , if I paint up to it ,it will look like shit

hallett21

Reaction score
Looks like expansion joint foam to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltbaney1

Reaction score
im wondering why you have carpet in your garage? i have use Sikaflex before and it works well.

Joker

Reaction score
Put in a caulk joint and your coating will crack. In order for caulking to work it needs to be a 2 to 1 ratio. 1” wide needs to be 1/2” deep. A lot of sealants aren’t compatible with asphalt either which is what i assume you have

traquer

Reaction score
Thinset over it? Also, would it make sense to run a thin coat of self-leveler throughout the entire garage to make it mirror finish instead of the typical lumpy garage concrete? No one would be able to tell but you but it'd be nice. Would also fill in the control joints and hide them along with that foam bs that you thinsetted over to prevent the epoxy/self leveler from flowing into it. Flooring guys: would this be acceptable to do? As I'm planning doing it myself as well.

cofooter

Reaction score
Is that a curb? Can you build a little L shaped box out of cement board to go over the curb and gap?

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
The "felt" is for garage slab to expand and contract without disrupting the foundation stem walls. Do not caulk or thinset or any other stupid ideas. Your best bet, IMHO, is to just spray paint the top of the expansion filler a color that matches your epoxy. And live with it.

goshen82

Reaction score
I do concrete for a living and we use expansion paper a lot. Normally they leave it a little lower then top of concrete so you can put caulking over it. I can’t tell from your pics if it’s flush though. I definitely would not pull it out it lets the concrete expand and contract and helps prevent cracking