WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage floor uneven, can it be fixed easily?

sintax

Reaction score
My garage floor, on the exterior wall is considerably uneven, its enough that if I have my tool boxes pushed up against that wall, an empty drawer will open on its own. Sockets obviously take off on their own and roll away if they are on top.

The rest of the garage is fine, just along that exterior wall is the issue. I can obviously shim a bench or toolbox to it is fine, but that feels pretty half ass. Would it be possible to grind that area down to level it out? its maybe 6 or 8" deep, all the way down the wall.

Am I dreaming?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Is the floor cracked or have a portion sinking? If its just a dip in the concrete, you can get some self leveling lightweight mix (like Ardex), mix it up, and skim coat the entire area. You'd probably want to put some type of flooring in the garage though after, so you have a consistent floor surface.

DC-88

Reaction score
IMG_0062.jpg

You could try and hit just the spots where the rear wheels or legs go with a basic 4-1/2” or bigger grinder and try to make it level. We use these wheels all the time to clean up stem walls/ concrete work before plating and they remove a decent amount of material in a small area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I thought they were supposed to be that way for drainage. I shimmed my toolbox to level it out.

sintax

Reaction score
I thought they were supposed to be that way for drainage. I shimmed my toolbox to level it out.

That was my exact thought, i'm sure its done that way for a reason, since you certainly would not want water settling along that wall there. It just is kind of a pain I guess.

sintax

Reaction score
You could try and hit just the spots where the rear wheels or legs go with a basic 4-1/2” or bigger grinder and try to make it level. We use these wheels all the time to clean up stem walls/ concrete work before plating and they remove a decent amount of material in a small area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats not a bad idea, I can prob get away with just hitting the smaller areas that actually matter and then leaving the rest.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My parents house was like that, but pretty light slope from stemwall. My current garage is flatish...has a crack that needed a piece of 10g to get the rollcab over. New slab for new garage, shooting for dead level... Grinding divots for the casters may be easier than shimming box, depends on box. At least your sockets will roll away from the wall, not under stuff...