WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage Project 2017 part 1

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Well starting over. Similiar place but different layout. Need to make the garage my own. I have a lot of work ahead of me. The weather is not helping because I am riding my snowboard instead of doing this project. :D

Here are a few before pics. I think the hardest part here is holding back everyone from just trying to move stuff into the garage "temporarily". Don't they realize this is where I live when I am out here!! :D

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
First order of business - take care of GiGi. Had this charging station for her car but never put it in. Added a 220 plug for the Miller and Plsma Cutter while there. RV garage already has a 50amp Nema 50-4.

IMG_0367.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Congrats on the new digs!

Lets see some more pictures of the whole set up:):thumbsup

Just kind of getting started. Was not planning on doing this project but it kind of materialized. My whole family enjoys the neighborhood there and I really did not want to deal with new construction. The houses range in price with some approaching 2m on transaction in the last 1.5 years so it is kind of a unique market in the city. It is hard to find something in my price range with the right layout and some project potential. I am looking forward to making this place ours. As I dig into it I realize all the cool stuff I did to my current place and how stoked the eventual new owner is going to be. :D

Well this thing keeps following me around. I love the boat and do not think I can ever part with it. Also sits on the site of another huge project. A double RV garage. Yikes - the wife mentioned an upper deck second casita. IDK - I may turn this into a fractional ownership - condo project with my friends that seem to keep showing up poolside every weekend. :D

IMG_0380.jpg

Yesterday the boys and I started scoping out bench and cabinet placement. We needed to test out the pool and spa while there.

IMG_0387.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Creating a mess. Trying to get the garage done before we move in. LED can lighting - full dim. Both sides of garage. Putting in a loft. Did this on the last one dry wall posts in wall so you do not lose floor space and it looks cleaner. PITA but the way to do it in my opinion. This one will be a touch higher and come out 10ft. Will remove if someone down the road does not want it without too much trouble. Seasonal items - things that need to be off the floor - I really cannot operate without it. Wife did not want it - but I told her I needed a place to put the Christmas tree. :D

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

This is where I am putting my bench and some cabinets.

IMG_0015.jpg

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Looking good man........you always plan accordingly and do things right:thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW..........When did you say Joker was going to do the floors???

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Looking good man........you always plan accordingly and do things right:thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW..........When did you say Joker was going to do the floors???

We were lining up this upcoming weekend but it is looking like we are pushing out two weeks. The rain has back logged a lot of his jobs. Going with a pretty crazy finish on the floors so I do not want to mess this part up. It is either going to be really cool or I am going to have to grind floors and start over. We will see. :thumbsup

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
We have paint done and lighting completed. Need to swap out LED for brighter and maybe add more.

IMG_0441.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
The double iBeam - crazy thread in the lounge on this. Has worked for me for what I do the past few years. I designed this and had it it engineered just to be sure.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

69GS

Reaction score
:thumbsup Looks great, what do you use the beam for ? Pulling engines etc.

Reactions: SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
:thumbsup Looks great, what do you use the beam for ? Pulling engines etc.

A bunch of different things, pretty handy for lifting skiis off of racks/dollies/trailers, RZR in a pinch without getting out a jack, hog tie my boys when they misbehave (joke). The loft above is where I store seasonal items - you know the things your wife has to have but you do not want to put on your shelves. :D

IMG_0020.jpg

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Bad Ass so far and looks like a beautiful house. I like the loft idea, I have built two mezzanines/lofts, one in my last shop, and one in the shop we bought last year. Holy storage savor for all the Sh%t my wife wants stored, as you mentioned.

Subscribed:

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
My opinion, I'm certainly no expert, but because the ceiling is so high you might want to try "high bay" lights that get used in warehouses. They are LED and have plenty of power, may not be dimable though. Another option that I used in my garage (11 foot ceiling) is LED 2'x4' edge lit panels. They are dimable, 1/2" thick so surface mount right to drywall and recess the small transformer into the ceiling. They are awesome, pricey, but last forever. I got mine at www.shineretrofits.com Anyways, good luck, looks like a fun project.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
My opinion, I'm certainly no expert, but because the ceiling is so high you might want to try "high bay" lights that get used in warehouses. They are LED and have plenty of power, may not be dimable though. Another option that I used in my garage (11 foot ceiling) is LED 2'x4' edge lit panels. They are dimable, 1/2" thick so surface mount right to drywall and recess the small transformer into the ceiling. They are awesome, pricey, but last forever. I got mine at www.shineretrofits.com Anyways, good luck, looks like a fun project.

I will look @ those - thank you. Wish I would have had this before I started the drywall work. :D

This week I am applying lava flow floors. Joker lined up a company out of Phoenix to grind floors and prep joints. This will allow me to prime the floors this morning. Wish me luck.

IMG_0023.jpg

Paul65k

Reaction score
This week I am applying lava flow floors. Joker lined up a company out of Phoenix to grind floors and prep joints. This will allow me to prime the floors this morning. Wish me luck.
Good luck :thumbsup:thumbsup

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
And we are off - mocha primer - base coat #1 is down on the floor. TCHB ran the roller - I was on the squeegee and small edge roller - dad mixed the primer - and Tony's neighbor was helping stage and pour. When on and set quick even in the cool morning we had.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

Paul65k

Reaction score
Man that came out nice Sam:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Appreciate all of the positive comments. Working through this project - been laid up with the flu. Received these updates - a light somewhere down the tunnel. :D Some of you may recognize these cabinets (starting to go in). If you are looking for something to last a lifetime - baldhead cabinets are for you. Check out their site - you can pass them down sort of thing.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Bobby V inquired about install - They can provide a factory installer $$. We did them ourselves and it was pretty easy once you got the hang of it. They are super well built. Anyone in SoCal that wants to check them out in HB - pm me. They do the trick.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Bobby V inquired about install - They can provide a factory installer $$. We did them ourselves and it was pretty easy once you got the hang of it. They are super well built. Anyone in SoCal that wants to check them out in HB - pm me. They do the trick.

Thanks. I found their website and talked with Eric about a hour ago. He walked me thru it. I sent him a picture and he got back to me right away with a estimate. :eek I hope they are as nice as they are costly. :p

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Appreciate all of the positive comments. Working through this project - been laid up with the flu. Received these updates - a light somewhere down the tunnel. :D Some of you may recognize these cabinets (starting to go in). If you are looking for something to last a lifetime - baldhead cabinets are for you. Check out their site - you can pass them down sort of thing.

View attachment 544607

View attachment 544608

Sam...Did you go with the kick plate at the bottom. Mine will have to sit on the 6" stem wall and I may get the adjustable legs in the front with a kick plate. How about the splash plate.Were the handle choices the same price, or was the pocket and full length handles an upgrade. I'm sending my choices to Eric next week. Thanks for posting these cabinets. Just what I was looking for. :thumbsup

Also what is the delivery time line from placing the order.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Sam...Did you go with the kick plate at the bottom. Mine will have to sit on the 6" stem wall and I may get the adjustable legs in the front with a kick plate. How about the splash plate.Were the handle choices the same price, or was the pocket and full length handles an upgrade. I'm sending my choices to Eric next week. Thanks for posting these cabinets. Just what I was looking for. :thumbsup

Also what is the delivery time line from placing the order.

My preference has always been to float them but I was just showing my brother and his business partner (they were out here from conEX my setup in the desert. The legs and kick plates make a lot of sense in commercial application with heavier tools / and install applications like yours. It can be a look and feel preference. Also I am not sure how much room you are working with - They make multiple depths. Believe me - I flinched huge on my first order for my HB garage (I think it has been 3/4 years ago). Good news is the cabinets are all modular, 100 percent consistent so you can build over time and if you ever want to move them they do not wad up like MDF ones. I picked a neutral color because I knew this was a one and done thing.

Funny moment, my wife GiGi was helping me with my HB garage project and she was breaking down the cabinet job bids. She looks at the Baldhead one and she asked me why I was putting kitchen cabinets in the garage? :D My next project was building a new kitchen. :D

Anyway - I believe you are working with Eric the owner - I have always dealt with Peter his son. They actually used to be based in Fountain Valley but moved the whole operation to Bend, OR. Imagine that - a company moving out of CA.... Let me know if you want to check out the cabinets. I am hoping they take pity on me for my next order to fill out this garage. .. lol

Delivery time about 3 weeks to 1 month

Tank

Reaction score
Tiffany blue over chocolate? LOVE IT!!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Tiffany blue over chocolate? LOVE IT!!

Thank you - wife got involved on this one. Sea foam green with a copper lava flow. Primer was mocha base. Cabinents are in just making some final adjustments. Getting ready to hang TV / Computer and move in this weekend. I have to patch two areas on the floor. I will document that better in the thread.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Well I have the cabinets in and ready to start moving tools back into. Need to hang TV and Computer.

IMG_0503.jpg

Softener and RO tucking away nicely.

IMG_0504.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Bobby - layout looks great - dimensions are exact on the outside of their units. Here is what I have found out in my two installs. The walls and slopes are not exact and perfect. Leave yourself a little wiggle room. The cabinets are dead nuts square and exact spec. They will not bend or flex so you want to account for this. If you need any help on the install I can get a crew of guys and myself to get this done pretty quick. One thing that makes this go way easier is to use a handjack forklift to hold and raise units in place on install. It goes real quick - you can borrow mine from my shop if you need one.

SJP

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
View attachment Workbench - Option One.pdf
Bobby - layout looks great - dimensions are exact on the outside of their units. Here is what I have found out in my two installs. The walls and slopes are not exact and perfect. Leave yourself a little wiggle room. The cabinets are dead nuts square and exact spec. They will not bend or flex so you want to account for this. If you need any help on the install I can get a crew of guys and myself to get this done pretty quick. One thing that makes this go way easier is to use a handjack forklift to hold and raise units in place on install. It goes real quick - you can borrow mine from my shop if you need one.

SJP

Thanks for the offer. I didn't want to jack your thread with my questions so when I heard from Eric (owner) I deleted it. Once I knew the actual dimensions that they use I was able to get a 6" wider storage locker. I do have a couple inches to play with now. New PDF from Eric above. Thanks again. :thumbsup

Bobby

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yorba Linda Garage 3-09-10 005.jpg This is what I'm replacing. With the red and black cabinets and handles to match my tool box.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
View attachment 545976

Thanks for the offer. I didn't want to jack your thread with my questions so when I heard from Eric (owner) I deleted it. Once I knew the actual dimensions that they use I was able to get a 6" wider storage locker. I do have a couple inches to play with now. New PDF from Eric above. Thanks again. :thumbsup

Bobby

That is going to be awesome. You are going to really like them. This weekend I am going to be doing move in desert. That should be a good time. :thumbsup

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
That is going to be awesome. You are going to really like them. This weekend I am going to be doing move in desert. That should be a good time. :thumbsup
Phase 1 of my cabinets came yesterday from Baldhead. 850 lbs. on 1 pallet. :eek :p

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
This phase of project is wrapping up. I have a couple of little projects going and I am moving stuff over / in. The boys are making themselves at home there as well. I figure we will be sharing this space more and more. They put an old TV - ran an extension cord - plugged their PS4 in.... Little guy declared it was officially a man cave. :D Goodtimes. Garage at this point is queuing up our move and getting ready for summer. On to the next project.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Raffit78

Reaction score
That boat completes the beautiful garage [emoji6]

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Well guys this garage is at capacity. I have used for a season. Tried a few different configurations and added some automation.

I ended up putting a table in the single bay. Space sacrifice but wanted the boys to learn to play a game that did not involve a screen. The boys RZRs still fit at edge so not a total loss.

0CB533CC-3D97-4F65-8D14-D8B4E3464ACE.jpeg

I have been replacing outlets and switches and garage door with zwave connected to my network. It makes it nice to control from phone.

Excuse the mess - mid Christmas decoration - loft is in disorder. At this point I am probably going to consider a possible garage add on project part 2. This space you can service 2 smaller boats side by side and use nothing else. Or one big boat and still get to projects and skis. I am opting at this point for option 2.

2ABFF11F-C66F-4605-B3E2-98BF981D9A5E.jpeg

5D18BC89-54CC-4E23-98AD-596AC4E3C437.jpeg

So the next project is going to be more construction but hopefully cool.

28skater

Reaction score
Well guys this garage is at capacity. I have used for a season. Tried a few different configurations and added some automation.

I ended up putting a table in the single bay. Space sacrifice but wanted the boys to learn to play a game that did not involve a screen. The boys RZRs still fit at edge so not a total loss.

View attachment 609011

I have been replacing outlets and switches and garage door with zwave connected to my network. It makes it nice to control from phone.

Excuse the mess - mid Christmas decoration - loft is in disorder. At this point I am probably going to consider a possible garage add on project part 2. This space you can service 2 smaller boats side by side and use nothing else. Or one big boat and still get to projects and skis. I am opting at this point for option 2.

View attachment 609012

View attachment 609013

So the next project is going to be more construction but hopefully cool.

Is that a new DW sittin in there?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Is that a new DW sittin in there?

Santa arrived early at my house this year. Weather permitting I am boating on the 26th and or 27th. I cannot wait to drive that boat.