WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garbage Disposal Frozen

SHEP

Reaction score
I've used the hex key under the disposable to turn it in hopes it would free up, it didn't. I hit the reset button and am able to turn blades inside to ensure they are stuck. Still frozen when I turn it on and all I get is the hum of the motor but nothing else. Am I missing something or just replace it?

Thanks,

SHEP

ghansen

Reaction score
Unplug it and make sure their isn’t something binding the blades. In the past i have put a broom handle in the disposal and spun the blades. Then plug it in and turn it on.

lantz

Reaction score
Buy the replacement and keep in box. Keep receipt. Remove old one. Use a broom handle, wooden spoon or large screw driver to see if you can dislodge what has jammed the blades. If you can get them unstuck, reinstall it and return replacement or store for later. If you can't get it unstuck, you're ready to drop in new one.

If you replace it, don't forget to remove the knock out in the drain side of the new disposal.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Stick a box wrench over hex key to increase length/leverage to attempt breaking it free.
Turn it backwards too, sometimes there is something just wedged.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Buy the replacement and keep in box. Keep receipt. Remove old one. Use a broom handle, wooden spoon or large screw driver to see if you can dislodge what has jammed the blades. If you can get them unstuck, reinstall it and return replacement or store for later. If you can't get it unstuck, you're ready to drop in new one.

If you replace it, don't forget to remove the knock out in the drain side of the new disposal.
ok, for the folks who dont know, what is the knock out? im probably replacing mine this weekend.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
ok, for the folks who dont know, what is the knock out? im probably replacing mine this weekend.

It's where the dish washer taps into the disposal. It comes plugged so if you have a dishwasher, you need to knock it out so it can drain into it. No dishwasher, no need to knock it out.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
If disposal won’t be used for a while I will pour small amount of veggie oil in it and turn on for a couple seconds. Keeps it from rusting together while we are away.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
It's where the dish washer taps into the disposal. It comes plugged so if you have a dishwasher, you need to knock it out so it can drain into it. No dishwasher, no need to knock it out.
Thanks.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
For the really stuck ones, oil is probably the plan. We usually just use WD 40 or whatever spray on penetrating oil you have.

Let it soak a bit, then try again with the wrench. Back and forth a bunch. If it doesn't free up, new ones are not that expensive.

To lock them in place I typically use a set of channel locks. They pinch the tabs together well.

jbird

Reaction score
Just replaced one for my mom a month or so ago and I of course forgot to remove the knock out. lol.
I just did the same damn thing lol. Glad I’m not the only one. Took me about 10 minutes to realized what I did.

Good looking out lantz👍

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Another vote for the old wooden spoon trick

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Just go get a new one if yours is more than 5 years old. you'll spend the better part of a few hours fighting with it...and probably replace it anyway after wasting all that time. If you do happen to get it free and make it work again, go to home depot and buy a plastic tote to stick under it for when it starts leaking in a few days so it doesn't water damage your cabinets and floor. While yore at the Home Depot...buy a new garbage disposal too and change it when you get home.

C-2

Reaction score
Flat nail bar and mallet; tap on the blade studs or blades and/or run the flat bar around the edges.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Used to put mineral oil in floor drains in cottages to keep the water from evaporating over winter.
It doesn’t go rancid.

Doesn’t have a thing to do with a stuck dishwasher, but I felt like chiming in. 🤓

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I know this is against every guy code in existence, but...

Read the directions and you'll see! 😁

It's for the dishwasher drain. 😉
Directions are just a paperweight for the styrofoam you throw away!:p

nowski

Reaction score
From the moment this thread went live you could have drove to the local hardware store and picked up a new garbage disposal. Grab lunch and a cold beverage on the way home. Remove the old disposal and install the new one, put everything back in it's place and wash up. Sit back enjoy another cold beverage and relax the rest of the day while reading all the post on how to tackle this task. Seems pretty simple to me...

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
From the moment this thread went live you could have drove to the local hardware store and picked up a new garbage disposal. Grab lunch and a cold beverage on the way home. Remove the old disposal and install the new one, put everything back in it's place and wash up. Sit back enjoy another cold beverage and relax the rest of the day while reading all the post on how to tackle this task. Seems pretty simple to me...
Apparently you don’t have my luck. Buy something. hardware package missing because the last guys was missing. Drive back. exchange products. Get home. Misplace tools. End up with extra screws. Kids xbox won’t load. Mother calls because dad lost remote. Drive over find remote. 3 day job for disposal. :p

rrrr

Reaction score
When you build a new house or remodel, it's a chance to buy a lifetime garbage disposal. Insinkerator sells an all stainless steel model with a 1 HP motor.

I installed mine 23 years ago, and it's never skipped a beat. That MF'er would grind up a bicycle if it could fit down the drain opening. I put a hot tub air switch in a PVC enclosure under the sink to operate it, the pushbutton is next to the faucet. That's been bulletproof too.

IMG_20210602_203524131_MP.jpg

termiteguy

Reaction score
What I have found 2 times is a coin stuck in them remove the disposal unscrew the top it will expose the rotating part the blades are attached to and the housing remove said object screw top back on and reinstall simple as that 30 minutes that's with 2 beer breaks. Good luck

lbhsbz

Reaction score
When you build a new house or remodel, it's a chance to buy a lifetime garbage disposal. Insinkerator sells an all stainless steel model with a 1 HP motor.

I installed mine 23 years ago, and it's never skipped a beat. That MF'er would grind up a bicycle if it could fit down the drain opening. I put a hot tub air switch in a PVC enclosure under the sink to operate it, the pushbutton is next to the faucet. That's been bulletproof too.

View attachment 1009170

I bought one of those those for my old house...then the tenant broke the sink and hD didn’t have a gasket kit in stock, so I bought anew disposal to go with the new sink, took the “good” one home and ordered the gasket/mounting kit online...good thing too....because the disposal in my new house took a shit the following week. .... I felt brilliant for a minute, and somewhat heroic, having all the parts on hand to solve the wife’s kitchen crisis in but a few minutes.

That lasted 2 days until it started leaking, so I went and bought 2 new ones...I figure if I keep one on the shelf, the one in the sink will never break or leak.

84miller

Reaction score
Buy a goat, twofer...no garbage disposal needed or lawn mower.

C-2

Reaction score
Apparently you don’t have my luck. Buy something. hardware package missing because the last guys was missing. Drive back. exchange products.

And let's not forget.
We walk down the aisles at HD and every pending repair flashes in your brain...
All I need is the disposal.
And this chair.
And this lamp.
And this stuffed bird.
And....

lol

c04a3a7757718cca8bf4a437c699cf0f.jpg

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I've used the hex key under the disposable to turn it in hopes it would free up, it didn't. I hit the reset button and am able to turn blades inside to ensure they are stuck. Still frozen when I turn it on and all I get is the hum of the motor but nothing else. Am I missing something or just replace it?

Thanks,

SHEP

On the bottom of the disposal is a hole for an Allen wrench. Insert the wrench and turn a few times and it should spring back to life.

SHEP

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I ended up replacing the unit which wasn't a big deal. I did find it odd though that the new unit didn't come with a power cord. I took the old one off and used that but wasn't sure if that is normal or not. If it is normal the manufacturer can eat a bag of d*cks.

SHEP

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
SHEP's original post was at 3:07. I was hoping that was AM instead of PM so I could attribute my post to not having enough coffee in the system...no go. <dammit>
Coffee is just legal crack.
I do like the aroma of brewing coffee, hate the taste......so no coffee for me.