WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garth Tagge and Jim Melley die in Potomac River accident

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Deleting the video is stupid, yes i'm sure the family and friends don't want to see the last moments of their lives, i totally get that. Me and my father are very close with Carson, in fact my Father was back at LOTO with Carson and these guys in August.

But the video itself is very important to leave out any doubt of what actually happened, and also serves as a reminder to anyone else with equipment like this exactly how fast and bad these situations can go wrong.

Deleting the video is burying your head in the sand. If you don't want to see it, don't watch it. The video is out there, it exists, it made it to the front page of reddit yesterday so there is no chance of it being wiped from history now.

I understand and agree with a policy of maybe not posting links to it here in the forum, publicly, out of respect. But can't for the life of me understand why anyone would say "He should have just deleted the video when he realized what happened". Personally if my family member was involved in something like this, i would at least want the option of seeing EXACTLY what happened, not left in the dark guessing, having your mind run wild as you try to piece it together in your own head, The video grounds you in reality.

If we as a society had a policy to delete video of accidents out of respect, we would never have the safety equipment that exists today, HANS devices, safety walls in car racing, fire protection, etc, etc, etc.

Yes the video is hard to stomach for some, but for others it serves as what is basically invaluable information that may lead to the PREVENTION of accidents like this in the future.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of these gentlemen, Their lives will be forever changed :(

Dirtbag

Reaction score
This is a complete bullshit post. The guy that took that video should of deleted it when he realized what happened. I would of.

and this is why you are absolutely in the wrong. You just look at the horrible tragedy that just happened. You feel for the families and the men who perished and so do every single one of us. What you fail to see is that lessons can be learned. Skater may make a design change. Lifeline may see a way to make a change. Maybe some guys will wear chutes? Maybe guys will start building more boats with capsules. Maybe some genius figures out a way to save lives based on the ejection pattern of the two men. There are so many things that can be learned. You are a boat safety guy. This video is perfect for you. Or maybe it isnt because these men with all the lifelines and helms and restraints didnt make it. The point is a lot of good things will come from this horrible tragedy. But if you keep it locked in a bottle to where no1 sees it then high speed boating just stays as it is. Think of the guy who just went out and bought an M31 with no idea how to drive. His boat will do 150 and he has no clue. Maybe he watches this video and drives a little different? Maybe he doesnt push the limit? I know it makes me think of safety and i will never see 90 mph again.

These guys knew what they were in for. Its that adrenaline rush that fueled their fire. Its like a drug. May they rest in peace

JD D05

Reaction score
and this is why you are absolutely in the wrong. You just look at the horrible tragedy that just happened. You feel for the families and the men who perished and so do every single one of us. What you fail to see is that lessons can be learned. Skater may make a design change. Lifeline may see a way to make a change. Maybe some guys will wear chutes? Maybe guys will start building more boats with capsules. Maybe some genius figures out a way to save lives based on the ejection pattern of the two men. There are so many things that can be learned. You are a boat safety guy. This video is perfect for you. Or maybe it isnt because these men with all the lifelines and helms and restraints didnt make it. The point is a lot of good things will come from this horrible tragedy. But if you keep it locked in a bottle to where no1 sees it then high speed boating just stays as it is. Think of the guy who just went out and bought an M31 with no idea how to drive. His boat will do 150 and he has no clue. Maybe he watches this video and drives a little different? Maybe he doesnt push the limit? I know it makes me think of safety and i will never see 90 mph again.

These guys knew what they were in for. Its that adrenaline rush that fueled their fire. Its like a drug. May they rest in peace

I don't know how far it spreads but everyone of these deals slows someone down for sure.

prosthogod

Reaction score
Turns out Tagge was a cousin of a girl I know:eek

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
This is a complete bullshit post. The guy that took that video should of deleted it when he realized what happened. I would of.

Come on Grads step back and read what you just wrote. That is a ridiculous statement to make. Videos of crashes are everywhere

lineman's holiday

Reaction score
Godspeed to Jim and Garth. That being said, they knew the risks involved and chose to participate in the run. Shootout racing is exceptionally dangerous, particularly at the upper levels, those involved understand the risk and choose to continue knowing the potential consequences. They passed doing what they love. For outsiders to pass judgement, and for those close to them to worry about videos being removed from the internet is rediculous. I really didn't see the big deal about the video, I was expecting much worse after the comments here and on OSO. Accidents happen. This was an accident. May they rest in peace.

I agree, Tragic as it is- have huge respect for these men. I believe they knew the of the dangers of this sport.
Work hard
Play hard

buck35

Reaction score
The crash is bad , and my condolences, but how many times has each and every one of us watched challenger explode? Did the families have an option for network tv to pull it ?
something will be learned and some will go boating differently now. BOTH good things.

prosthogod

Reaction score
The crash is bad , and my condolences, but how many times has each and every one of us watched challenger explode? Did the families have an option for network tv to pull it ?
something will be learned and some will go boating differently now. BOTH good things.
For that matter, how many times have you seen the Twin towers go down and people jumping from 50 stories?

Tank

Reaction score
Wow. That video is brutal. Basically the exact situation on fiores flip but the didn't get ejected (canopied)

Horrible.

RIP

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Deleting the video is stupid, yes i'm sure the family and friends don't want to see the last moments of their lives, i totally get that. Me and my father are very close with Carson, in fact my Father was back at LOTO with Carson and these guys in August.

But the video itself is very important to leave out any doubt of what actually happened, and also serves as a reminder to anyone else with equipment like this exactly how fast and bad these situations can go wrong.

Deleting the video is burying your head in the sand. If you don't want to see it, don't watch it. The video is out there, it exists, it made it to the front page of reddit yesterday so there is no chance of it being wiped from history now.

I understand and agree with a policy of maybe not posting links to it here in the forum, publicly, out of respect. But can't for the life of me understand why anyone would say "He should have just deleted the video when he realized what happened". Personally if my family member was involved in something like this, i would at least want the option of seeing EXACTLY what happened, not left in the dark guessing, having your mind run wild as you try to piece it together in your own head, The video grounds you in reality.

If we as a society had a policy to delete video of accidents out of respect, we would never have the safety equipment that exists today, HANS devices, safety walls in car racing, fire protection, etc, etc, etc.

Yes the video is hard to stomach for some, but for others it serves as what is basically invaluable information that may lead to the PREVENTION of accidents like this in the future.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of these gentlemen, Their lives will be forever changed :(

It's not your family and pretty rude of you to call members of his family stupid which is what your are doing

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think Racey's post is spot on. Reporting creates awareness.

Awareness is fine. But the family has spoken, and why should they be called stupid for wanting the video removed.

Heylam

Reaction score
I think you're misreading it. I read it that in Racey's opinion removing the video would be stupid. I don't see where he is calling the family stupid for wanting it removed.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think you're misreading it. I read it that in Racey's opinion removing the video would be stupid. I don't see where he is calling the family stupid for wanting it removed.

They are the ones that want it removed from what I've read.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Guys you are debating something that has been seeded on over 15 CDN networks and featured already on Good Morning America. It is going to be forever archived on the network.

RIP Tagge / Melley - prayers to their family and friends.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Guys you are debating something that has been seeded on over 15 CDN networks and featured already on Good Morning America. It is going to be forever archived on the network.

RIP Tagge / Melley - prayers to their family and friends.

That I understand. But we as the boating community can respect their wishes. It's not my web site so I can't do anything other than give my opinion.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
There is even a video from inside the boat on another forum. Sad deal.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I don't see how watching the video could be at all construed as disrespectful to the deceased.

How come I cant see any of Grads posts in this thread? Everyone replying to him but I don't see his posts. What am I missing here?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
How come I cant see any of Grads posts in this thread? Everyone replying to him but I don't see his posts. What am I missing here?

It appears that he deleted his posts.

Tunnelfun

Reaction score
Since viewing this tragic accident four years ago I've adjusted my boat speed down from 120 in 1980 to 90 now. I run a 26 foot tunnel, that's all the risk I'm willing to take now. The video had great value for me. I've seen a lot of tragic boat videos and lost some dear friends but I wasn't ready to understand that even at 100 it can happen. Now I am.