Reaction score
I just had my wife check the power bill SDG&E
for January 2023 !

Build Back Better isn’t working, Joe !

gas
$363

electric
$323

December bill total was under $480 w/ Christmas lights on timers & decorations and us being gone for 2 weeks in Hava zoo!

I have lived in this house since 1975 ( bought it off my parents in 1996 they moved into a condo ) and NEVER has the gas bill been more than the electric side….

gas use - water heater, cook top, Fire pit Not used, fire place, HVAC heater & clothes dryer. Only 2 of us

Brace for Impact !! People

Not sure how Average people can make this work ! This is the next crisis

bk2drvr

Reaction score
A guy I work with is losing his shit right now over this on our Teams chat. I saw this coming from
posts on RDP back in Dec. and I shut the heaters off and fireplaces and im at $200 for January. Lame.

DLC

Reaction score
Yore gonna need solar panels and electric appliances.
Nope! need to get the F out of Screwsome country !! Spend more time in Az, a free country !

Next thing will be adding to our gas bill to cover all the Undocumented Democrats that have arrived and SANDAG is pushing for a mileage Fee !!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I've really been watching my gas and electric lately. Last gas bill around $53 and the electric has remained right around $200.. I keep the thermostat at 65 only when it gets too cold. It's been a cold winter so far. Sounds like you're a prime candidate for solar.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Heard a few tidbits of info (may or may not be true)
Gas bill(s) should come down 50% next month.
There's also a big pipeline that should be back on line any time now.
Fingers crossed.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Mine went from $65 to$145, so cal gas. Gas clothes dryer, water heater oven. No furnace.
I guess no fukn' turkey next year.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Yore gonna need solar panels and electric appliances.
Being in the solar industry I have gas appliances, they are just way more efficient in normal times. Times aren't normal anymore unfortunately and the kiddie sniffer in chief's push for all electric is a dangerous game. The grid cannot support it, nor is it the best option.

spectras only

Reaction score
Will EV's going to be taxed in Cali like ICE cars to be fair? Newsome probably working on it now, maybe charging EV owners to pay by the miles they're traveling per month. 🤔

In 2022-23, the state gasoline excise tax is set at 53.9 cents per gallon, and the tax is expected to raise $7.4 billion from gasoline purchases for vehicles using public roads.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Will EV's going to be taxed in Cali like ICE cars to be fair? Newsome probably working on it now, maybe charging EV owners to pay by the miles they're traveling per month. 🤔

In 2022-23, the state gasoline excise tax is set at 53.9 cents per gallon, and the tax is expected to raise $7.4 billion from gasoline purchases for vehicles using public roads.
Ca just dumps that money into the general fund..

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My January gas bill was the highest gas bill ive ever had.

I keep track of my utilities (monthly and annually) on a spreadsheet. I have them going back to about 2002. I will have to take a look at them.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We buy our Natural Gas through Zoom but have to pay socal gas to deliver.

Our bill was about $75 last month which is about 30% higher than the month before.

attitude

Reaction score
$621 gas bill here😳

57C21424-15BA-4E14-85F1-A824237DF51D.png

Markus

Reaction score
More than $2000 in electricity bill for December over here. Propane, I buy in 11 kg bottles.

Be happy that you live in a warm place.

Natural gas prices have come way way down, worldwide. Expect much lower bills this spring - assuming that the price is somewhat tied to the commodity price.

Markus

Reaction score
I'm in Sweden.

The weather sucks.

It is warm in my house, which is old and poorly insulated.

I pay daily spot price for electricity. The main use is for a geothermal heat pump.

December electricity was $2000+. January should be a third of that. February just started, and we will see where prices are headed.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If that gas use is due to heating your home, consider a heat pump HVAC unit...you’d probably use no gas to heat your home in So Cal, and a lot less gas than typical if you live elsewhere.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If that gas use is due to heating your home, consider a heat pump HVAC unit...you’d probably use no gas to heat your home in So Cal, and a lot less gas than typical if you live elsewhere.

That mandate is coming next…

That said my heat pump in Havasu and the ones on my mini splits work very well.

Reactions: DWC

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Don’t worry your electric will catch up. I have SDGE head hunters stalking me offering me 175k a year to help them plan all the work they have to get done before the cupc gets up their ass.
If they are offering me that much and I don’t even want or look for the job imagine the guys who are trying lol.

Rate payers cover that expense.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Socalgas announced that your Feb will be 68% lower than your Jan bill...I'm waiting...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Well all I know is my average bill for last year was $28 month. My last bill with the same usage was $138 so that put it at 400+% increase.
So with a 68% decrease I'm still paying to much.

DWC

Reaction score
Socalgas announced that your Feb will be 68% lower than your Jan bill...I'm waiting...
They talked about it on NBC this morning. The next sentence was “it’ll still be more than last year”. Love when they establish the new normal.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Here in the upper midwest - last night on the news they reported that NatGas was its lowest price seen in several years here. Local companies stocking back up on underground storage and other methods to stock up.? go figure.

TCHB

Reaction score
Here in the upper midwest - last night on the news they reported that NatGas was its lowest price seen in several years here. Local companies stocking back up on underground storage and other methods to stock up.? go figure.
Yes this happens. Natural gas is a commodity that trades like wheat.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
They talked about it on NBC this morning. The next sentence was “it’ll still be more than last year”. Love when they establish the new normal.
With roofing materials, many were petroleum based. Being in the industry, both buying and applicating, the crude prices were something I paid attention to. Fuel for trucks, propane for kettles, kegs of asphalt and rolls of felt and cap. At least beer stayed consistent.

When crude fell, you'd see it at the gas pump, then the propane refills...they'd fall back closer to normal. The materials, they may have fallen a tick, but always stayed considerably higher.

The "new normal", before they called it that.

Reactions: DWC

TCHB

Reaction score
When we put our solar system on I did not think about using the over generation for heat. Now I use the over generation for a Costco portable heater to help out in the kitchen/living room. My Ebill was $13.24 last month and gas bill $122. I could have added 2K more of panels which would give me more production to really lower the gas bill electric heat.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Not sure how true it is but I heard on the radio a brief clip more than once that the gas bill will be decreased 60% next month. Guess we'll see. . California BTW.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When we put our solar system on I did not think about using the over generation for heat. Now I use the over generation for a Costco portable heater to help out in the kitchen/living room. My Ebill was $13.24 last month and gas bill $122. I could have added 2K more of panels which would give me more production to really lower the gas bill electric heat.
When my neighbor built his house about 18 years ago, he did a large solar array out back. Being so long ago, the panels were not very efficient. He was an older fellow, and each room he or his wife used had a space heater in it. He said it was the best thing he did.

My friend bought the house several years ago. His family of 5 in the main house, his elderly mother in the guest house. The old solar system now helps to power two modern heat pumps. His bill stays under 100$ usually...and they keep it quite toasty. The previous owner only heated 1 or 2 rooms, and never the guest house. His bill was between a credit, and 10 dollars.
Pretty slick really.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I am in a brand new construction rental just under 2000sqft in south Austin. My recent bills, $34.76 for electric, $139.77 for gas and that is just heat, water and stove.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I just had my wife check the power bill SDG&E
for January 2023 !

Build Back Better isn’t working, Joe !
Oh, it’s working. Spectacularly.

Out of curiosity, what was it that you thought “build back better” was supposed to do?

DWC

Reaction score
With roofing materials, many were petroleum based. Being in the industry, both buying and applicating, the crude prices were something I paid attention to. Fuel for trucks, propane for kettles, kegs of asphalt and rolls of felt and cap. At least beer stayed consistent.

When crude fell, you'd see it at the gas pump, then the propane refills...they'd fall back closer to normal. The materials, they may have fallen a tick, but always stayed considerably higher.

The "new normal", before they called it that.
I bought shingles for quite a few years early in my career. 3tab 20year were $18 a sq. They’re just a little higher now. 😬