WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gas cans in SxS's

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So over new years in Spangler Hills, we see a big black cloud billowing up.

A couple guys in our group head over to it to find out what's going on.

Long story short...

2020 SxS. No insurance. He had his gas cans stored above the engine, and they leaked.

Just thought I'd mention it here. Tough lesson to learn.

PlanB

Reaction score
Not a good place to store extra fuel.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well the other option is to store it above the passengers.. :oops: So when your rzr catches on fire that makes things even more interesting.. LOL

RD

sintax

Reaction score
Well the other option is to store it above the passengers.. :oops: So when your rzr catches on fire that makes things even more interesting.. LOL

RD

The upside to that is maybe you'll catch the smell of raw fuel before it sparks? Think of it as a new kind of TikTok challenge

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This is a tough discussion/decision.

Really the best place to store fuel is on the floor of the back seating area, but not an option all the time, and not an option at all in a 2 seater.

Storing outside the cage means even in a light rollover or hitting something on the trail you could have a problem with a fuel shower or fire.
Roof could mean a fuel shower, and fire if there was a rollover.
Rear could mean protected in a rollover, no fuel shower, but fire from a leak.

I store mine in my spare wheel which is over the back of the car. I am always wary of it, and I check for leaks every time I stop for a drink.

Car is insured however.

Reactions: DWC

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
SxS can go over 100 miles on a tank. I dont get why people carry extra cans?
This past weekend it came in handy for one in our group who has a reflashed turbo.
I on the other hand tend to run heavy on fuel just as I do in my boat.

Reactions: DWC

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Really the best place to store fuel is on the floor of the back seating area, but not an option all the time, and not an option at all in a 2 seater.

Storing outside the cage means even in a light rollover or hitting something on the trail you could have a problem with a fuel shower or fire.

I store mine in my spare wheel which is over the back of the car. I am always wary of it, and I check for leaks every time I stop for a drink.

Car is insured however.
I like your spare/tank setup. Who makes that fuel cell?
I actually found a latch that fits the seat catch pin. Planning to make something there to hold stuff or a platform for the dog.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Car is insured however.

Bingo.. I generally don't carry extra fuel because I'm very well aware of how long it takes for me to get out, and get 3 kids out of a backseat.. It isn't a quick process, and I don't want three little candles running around.

RD

Nordie

Reaction score
I really don't know much about the SxS stuff. I just know when I raced desert on my dirtbike, I swapped from a 2.0 gallon tank to a 3.4 gallon tank. Does someone make a bigger tank where you can get like 2 or 3 more gallons?

DWC

Reaction score
Can Am solution:

That’s pretty cool. Thanks.

BCB0FE42-F989-47E5-8119-BD3323BF5106.jpeg

EPL

Reaction score
The biggest problem is the people that are to cheap to buy a good fuel container. I see it all over people having clapped out 5 dollar cans that are made for keeping gas in for lawnmower etc that not designed to be beat around in the back of a sxs .

We use the Rotopax fuel containers that are made for off road and mount them on the opposite side as the exhaust !!

20210108_125112.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I like your spare/tank setup. Who makes that fuel cell?
I actually found a latch that fits the seat catch pin. Planning to make something there to hold stuff or a platform for the dog.

China Rotopax. The 3L holds 1 gallon, The 5L holds almost 2 gallons. They come with a little mounting flange. for $30-$40 they are great, and very durable. I have the 3L in my car. If you aren't driving crazy, you can do 120 miles in a RZR 1000, so the extra gallon will get me another 12-15 miles.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
2173DDAE-3F22-4E63-9FAA-E8A1B86D274E.jpeg
B4B380BE-3966-4A20-BCAA-0668B780F895.jpeg

I carry a 1 gal roto pax under my seat wedged in foam. I’m considering an auto halon system, this one is $340, most are $700 plus.
Can am’s rarely do the BBQ thing but shit happens. My 3R tune puts me at about 85 miles on a tank.

EPL

Reaction score
I really don't know much about the SxS stuff. I just know when I raced desert on my dirtbike, I swapped from a 2.0 gallon tank to a 3.4 gallon tank. Does someone make a bigger tank where you can get like 2 or 3 more gallons?

I just got a larger one for my Polaris Turbo S from Trailtanks that is 2 more gallons than the stock one !! https://www.trailtank.net/

69hondo

Reaction score
My buggy can go 140 miles in the dunes but my kids quads cant make half that so after a recommendation here I bought the blemished Rotopax and they fit on the floor under my back seat. I know its not a SXS but just giving some insite. I have the 1 gallon and 1.75 gallon paxs. they are fairly small and super safe.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I mounted two 2.5 gallon roto packs behind the drivers seat on the floor with filler up . Can't sit back there but it's only Deb and mostly . Only put 2 gallons in each one for expansion . Have had to fill up others twice . I'll put a picture up next time we're in Havasu .

Last edited:

Mikes56

Reaction score
Anyone seen the fuel bags? You can get them on Amazon, but they are expensive wherever you get them. They are fuel cell material, flexible and roll up when they are empty. When I did an Off The Grid trip down the Baja Peninsula, most everyone had a 5 gallon bag filled up and stuffed under the seat.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Anyone seen the fuel bags? You can get them on Amazon, but they are expensive wherever you get them. They are fuel cell material, flexible and roll up when they are empty. When I did an Off The Grid trip down the Baja Peninsula, most everyone had a 5 gallon bag filled up and stuffed under the seat.

I've seen those. It's like trying to carry a flammable waterbed unless you have somewhere to stuff them :) Great option if you can fit them somewhere though.

Last edited:

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I carry one of those $8.00 transfer pumps from harbor freight, new in the packaging. If someone in the groups runs out, we can transfer fuel from another RZR if needed. cheap, easy and you aren't transporting a bomb.

EPL

Reaction score
I carry one of those $8.00 transfer pumps from harbor freight, new in the packaging. If someone in the groups runs out, we can transfer fuel from another RZR if needed. cheap, easy and you aren't transporting a bomb.

I don't think that will work very well because if one person needs fuel I would think everyone is going to need fuel !! When we go for rides everyone fills there tank before we leave and everyone needs fuel around the same time !!

DLC

Reaction score
I like that extra 9 gallons under the seat, EXT from AGM but not a fan of the price - $1,200

that would be about 200 mile range

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I've done a few of these..

If you own a rzr this is the best option in my opinion. Relocate the battery. Install the IMS 5 gal tank. I taps into your stock tank so it fills itself when you fill the stock tank(not real fast takes a little bit) or you can pull the drivers seat and fill from the fill neck! This is the last one I did.
20161003_100620.jpg
20161003_100630.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This can (pun) become a problem not limited to SXS's. When I was spending allot of time with Capo Valley 4 Wheelers our push was to get the extra fuel into the tank as soon as there is room. Someone always carried a small facet pump with a cig plug and hose so if you had to help someone you could. No running around all day smashing into shit with that bomb on board.

There is no easy answer however, getting your insurance company to pay out over carrying extra fuel...yeah good luck with that. My wife used to be an auto ins claims adjuster and she would nag me about those cans I had on my spare tire rack that could easily spill gas on the exhaust.

REMEMBER you don't have to spill a ton of gas to have a fire just enough vapor pressure. You boaters know this. 👍 👍

Just a random thought.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I don't think that will work very well because if one person needs fuel I would think everyone is going to need fuel !! When we go for rides everyone fills there tank before we leave and everyone needs fuel around the same time !!

Agreed. But with our group, there is always one that doesn't fully fill and we are always helping his family out. Constant issues, never has tools, doesn't do maintenance. We need to leave him home

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I mounted two 2.5 gallon roto packs behind the drivers seat on the floor with filler up . Can't sit back there but it's only Deb and mostly . Only put 2 gallons in each one for expansion . Have had to fill up others twice . I'll put a picture up next time we're in Havasu .
As promised here's a couple pics of the way we mounted two 2 1/2 gallon Roto Pack in the rear floor of an X3 . This size also slides under the front seat no problem . Did this when we had passengers and not a drop leaked in 65 miles .
20210117_155707[1].jpg
20210117_155658[1].jpg
20210117_160107[1].jpg