WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GAS LAMP S.D- Dinner Options

Bear Down

Reaction score
Headed to Gaslamp for a concert in the Gas Lamp Dist. Looking for a place for a great dinner and drinking experience. Would like to eliminate wasting time trying to figure it out while there or sorting through 150 4-5 star Yelp reviewed places. What we enjoy are old derby style restaurants and bar atmosphere (i.e Derby, Del Rae, Steak and Stein) and a great steak.

We are arriving mid day Friday so we'll try to limit our alcohol intake to somewhat enjoy dinner. LOL

any feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Xring01

Reaction score
Oceanaire.... great seafood..
Strip club.. is a fun place, but you cook you own dinner.. which makes you mingle with the other diners..

Flemings, Mortons etc, if you want that atmosphere

wayniac

Reaction score
My days downtown are generally filled with baseball games and family restaurants, but it sounds Like you might enjoy the Gaslamp Strip Club. If its strictly steak you cant go wrong with Flemmings or Donovans. If it were me, id stick to the local and hit up the star bar.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/flemings-prime-steakhouse-and-wine-bar-san-diego-san-diego
https://www.yelp.com/biz/donovans-steak-and-chop-house-san-diego-3
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gaslamp-strip-club-san-diego
https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-local-eatery-and-drinking-hole-san-diego
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/apr/19/deal-star-bar/#

Bear Down

Reaction score
looks like the strip club is similar to the Venice Room in Montebello, just better quality steaks and sides. keep them Coming.

I would rather stay away from the mainstream Steakhouses ( Flemings/mortons)... Those you can hit up anywhere, I dig the regional restaurants.

Mototrig

Reaction score
RA Sushi is the favorite my wife and I go to Gas Lamp

wayniac

Reaction score
looks like the strip club is similar to the Venice Room in Montebello, just better quality steaks and sides. keep them Coming.

I would rather stay away from the mainstream Steakhouses ( Flemings/mortons)... Those you can hit up anywhere, I dig the regional restaurants.

[/QUOTE]

maybe donovans is your place... Ive had friends tell me that this place was great... never been there..

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cowboy-star-san-diego

2 really good Brazilian steak houses in downtown too.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Born and raised is a great choice near the gas lamp. They just opened up a Del Frisco double eagle near the waterfront that I tried this past Friday, service and food was over the top.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Going to throw this out there in case you start craving Italian- Salvatore’s. Still one of the best Italian places I have ate and the drinks are great there as well.

DWC

Reaction score
Any of the above steak houses are really good.
-My first stop is usually Basic Pizza for Lunch
- Water Grill has LIVE King Crab which is insane. It’s a bit expensive but worth it. Call ahead to reserve one or more.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
My wife and I just went to Born and Raised a few weeks back and it was fantastic. The other option I would try is Puerto La Boca (Argentinian steak house).

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If you like beer , San Diego has to be the capital of beer ! Hit a few breweries!

welldigger00

Reaction score
If you’re up for a short Uber north, go to little Italy. Cafe Nonna, is by far the best Italian in San Diego. Little Italy is my favorite compared to gas lamp. It’s gotten pretty cool, and not as crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xring01

Reaction score
Way way way back in the day...
Rainwaters - wow... the best place in all of San Diego. There wine list was a 3" Binder, in alphabetical order by country, with amazing Steaks/Seafood... they closed years ago. Honestly, my favorite place ever.....

Who remembers Fios...
Best Oso Bucco I have ever had in my life... excellent food/service, yet went out of business.... hummmm

Blows me away that awesome restaurants, that are alway pretty full, and have outstanding food, still go out of business in San Diego.

What am I really saying..
Most restaurants in the San Diego area are pretty damn good, if not, the doors will be closing soon.

The competition is that fierce, if serving food is your business in San Diego, its best to never have a bad day, because your competition probably wont.

Its hard to find a bad restaurant there, it really its. Most should exceed your expectations, now it truly gets down on what you want to eat and the atmosphere you prefer.

Another one of my favorites that I forgot to mention earlier is Peohes on Coronado... Hawaiin with the best views of Down Town San Diego...

kiethco

Reaction score
Go to Little Italy and pick one, mid range to $$$$. All great in their own right.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Going to throw this out there in case you start craving Italian- Salvatore’s. Still one of the best Italian places I have ate and the drinks are great there as well.

Great... wife loves Italian
Another one of my favorites that I forgot to mention earlier is Peohes on Coronado... Hawaiin with the best views of Down Town San Diego...

I was ready to ask about anything with a view or rooftop bar, but the weather looks to be crappy on Friday , so its probably not a must at this point

Last edited:

wet hull

Reaction score
Urban Wood in Little Italy. Very hard to beat.

DLC

Reaction score
I just mentioned born and raised to the wife and she said they are super trendy - ie de-construct cocktails, really hip and $$$$$ spendy type of place...
the group or owner ship have a few restaurants around town

I was thinking hey let’s go check it out and she said NO!

warlock250

Reaction score
I would say the Water Grill. Awesome food and I tried the Carmel Bread pudding and it was fantastic. Great place for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

jet496

Reaction score
Indigo Grille has one of the best ribeyes anywhere.

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
Try "The Field" on 5th....not fancy but a good Irish Pub shouldn't be

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Part of the appeal of Born and Raised is also the ambiance. They spent a ton of $$$ making that space as over the top as it is.

That same restaurant group also owns a speakeasy called Raised by wolves in the UTC area. You walk into a upscale liquor store and a revolving door takes you back to the gatsby era bar where everything is custom made. This restaurant group knows what it is doing. it is worth the price tag.

plus if you order the table side caesar salad they give you the history as to how it was made in TJ at a dinner party.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Try "The Field" on 5th....not fancy but a good Irish Pub shouldn't be

This looks great for a departure lunch on Saturday... Problem is.. it might makes us stay longer than we want too!

Englewood

Reaction score
I just mentioned born and raised to the wife and she said they are super trendy - ie de-construct cocktails, really hip and $$$$$ spendy type of place...
the group or owner ship have a few restaurants around town

I was thinking hey let’s go check it out and she said NO!

It is the trendy hotspot for sure. However, as someone who typically avoids that type of place, we've been there 3 times and it is over the top good.

Reactions: DLC

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
If you're looking for a view Mr. A's has one of the best in the city. Food is overpriced a bit but last time we were there it was good. The Omni has a great rooftop bar. The Hardrock has a club on their rooftop if that's your scene. We had a blast the last time we were there but that was more due to our group than anyone else.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Part of the appeal of Born and Raised is also the ambiance. They spent a ton of $$$ making that space as over the top as it is.

That same restaurant group also owns a speakeasy called Raised by wolves in the UTC area. You walk into a upscale liquor store and a revolving door takes you back to the gatsby era bar where everything is custom made. This restaurant group knows what it is doing. it is worth the price tag.

plus if you order the table side caesar salad they give you the history as to how it was made in TJ at a dinner party.
Ive been to raised by wolves. The inside is pretty cool. No food.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Cowboy Star

x2 on cowboy star too. Small place that packs a punch for food. Their wagyu tortellini appetizer is to die for and they have everything from wet aged, dry aged, and a5 wagyu as well. You can also grab a table attached to the kitchen and watch and talk to the chefs as the prepare the dishes.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Lou & Mickeys. Went there about a year ago while we were at a wedding in the base.