WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gas Stained Gelcoat

240Hallett

Reaction score
So apperently we didn't burn enough gas at DS and left the boat in the garage with nearly a full tank. I store with the bow down so I can put the drive down. Gas fill and vent are towards the front of the belly tank.
How do I get rid of the stains?? I tried carb spray and brake cleaner and it got a lot of it but the initial area still looks like shit. Any ideas? image.jpg image.jpg

RaceNeked

Reaction score
That totally sux man...

maybe something like this?
3M2.jpg

...and if it works, this would be a good 'finish'...
3M1.jpg

leaves a great shine on my skis...
closeup.jpg closeup1.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Damn, really sorry mike, looks like it may be in the gel rather than on it. As was already said rubbing compounds, but I would start with finer compounds.:(

CobraDave

Reaction score
I bet a cleaner wax or polish might do it. Muriatic acid seems a little harsh. I'd be scared to use it.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Strongest thing I have here is Meguiar's cleaner wax...didn't do much. I have some 3M polishing compound at home that I can try next week. image.jpg
Not that mobile at the moment to take it anywhere.
Thanks for the replies.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It is "on it" not in it.. (At least it shouldn't be in it)

Go get some strong degreasers and try again. Dishwashing soap, simple green, dollar store degreaser, etc..

Also try wiping the area down with acetone first.

shueman

Reaction score
Acetone is what we use at the shop to clean gel ...

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I had a neighbor at the river watch me clean the bottom of my hull with the starbright hull cleaner bought from Spankys spray on and let it sit a few minutes and spray off easiest thing ever and my hull was discolored like this and it cleaned it up with no effort. Neighbor was amazed and tried my left over on his old sea ray near the overflow and let it sit a few and hosed it off and it cleaned it right up. If this was me I would try this before acetone and other acid combos but I am sure those would work too, I just found this was the easiest solution for me.

Good Luck

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I had a neighbor at the river watch me clean the bottom of my hull with the starbright hull cleaner bought from Spankys spray on and let it sit a few minutes and spray off easiest thing ever and my hull was discolored like this and it cleaned it up with no effort. Neighbor was amazed and tried my left over on his old sea ray near the overflow and let it sit a few and hosed it off and it cleaned it right up. If this was me I would try this before acetone and other acid combos but I am sure those would work too, I just found this was the easiest solution for me.

Good Luck

We use the same on our 240. StarBrite Hull Cleaner. Turns the bottom bright white after the season is over. Works on the vent stains too.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I saw this product at WalMart the other day. Looks like a good solution for this situation.

gasoff1.jpg

gasoff2.jpg

KAP

Reaction score
FSR---It is safe for Gel Coat and will remove it easily.

You can buy it at West Marine....great stuff.

Read reviews if you don't believe me. It cost about $13 dollars enough for the whole boat.

KAP

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Had the exact same thing happen to our 240 in February when it got warm. I used a combo of cleaners, light compound, and finally wax to get the stain off. I think the biggest culprit was the additives in the fuel, but it did clean up well after plenty of effort.

With the amount of fuel running off the rub rail when I got there, I am just glad it didn't find an ignition source and correct fuel/air ratio.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Well I used the acetone and compound but still had quite a bit of the yellowing even though the surface was very smooth. Figured screw it we're going boating! After 3 days of sunshine it's looking pretty damn good. Almost back to normal:thumbsup