WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gear Lube in Bilge

dribble

Reaction score
I have had to add drive lube at the rate of a few ounces after running for a few hours. Today I noticed the reservoir low and a fair amount of gear lube in the bilge. The reservoir and hose is clean, no leaks. I thinking pinion seal?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have had to add drive lube at the rate of a few ounces after running for a few hours. Today I noticed the reservoir low and a fair amount of gear lube in the bilge. The reservoir and hose is clean, no leaks. I thinking pinion seal?

When that happened to me it turned out there was a hairline crack in the fitting in the bottom of the reservoir bottle. I was told this is common by Barrett. They found it in minutes, I spent hours looking and couldn't find it. LOL Just an FYI

RD

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
The little fitting on the line between reservoir and transom broke on my boat a few years back. Cheap part, kind of hard to get to. Hope it's something simple for you.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Is there a specific area in the bilge that you are seeing the oil or just in general?

I had a leak that drove me crazy trying to figure out where it was coming from (Bravo 1), mostly after being in storage for some time. It turned out that the oil seal for the shift cable in the drive was bad and with the drive being in the up position and cooling and warming effect it would push small amounts of oil up the shift cable to the carb area where in turn it would drip onto the valve cover and then down onto the water pump housing. $6 seal and issue resolved. It can be replaced with the drive on the boat.
May not be your issue but look closely at the shift cable from where the controls to the motor connect and see if there are any traces of oil there.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

dribble

Reaction score
OK so I wiped at all out and filled the reservoir and come back an hour later to this.

bilge.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

fishing fool

Reaction score
I know I'm colorblind but the oil looks like it's yellow and blue, splattered all over. [emoji41]

dribble

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for that. I'm voting for the reservoir line fitting where it goes into the outdrive. Seems it would run out so fast after filling the reservoir if it were anything else.

Number 6

24370.jpg

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for that. I'm voting for the reservoir line fitting where it goes into the outdrive. Seems it would run out so fast after filling the reservoir if it were anything else.

Number 6

View attachment 587255
Yup, that's the part. The guy that services my boat directed me right to it when I told him about the lube in the bilge. Parts guy didn't even have to look it up as it is so common.

dribble

Reaction score
Yup, that's the part. The guy that services my boat directed me right to it when I told him about the lube in the bilge. Parts guy didn't even have to look it up as it is so common.

Cool. It looks like a total bitch to get to on my boat. I can't even see it. Engine hatch will have to come off at minimum.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Cool. It looks like a total bitch to get to on my boat. I can't even see it. Engine hatch will have to come off at minimum.

You'd be surprised and how they can weasel in there. They fixed both sides of mine in minutes.

RD

dribble

Reaction score
I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay anyone to do anything i can do myself. Hell if i could get the anesthesia, I'd do my own outpatient surgery.

spectras only

Reaction score
FWIW, j had the same scenario, gear lube passing through the CV shaft input seal that started to separate. It was pushing the gearoil through the gimbal bearing, washing the bearing grease out too. You can replace just the seal or buy the carrier with the seal complete. Seal is only about 16 bucks, carrier with seal is about $105. I've ordered the complete carrier and a seal to install in the existing carrier for backup, since I got twins. Just in case.:skull You can see my rant here> http://www.riverdavesplace.com/foru...avo-1X-outdrive-yoke-seal&highlight=oil+bilge

Also, I made my own carrier removal tool instead of paying Merc $160 .;)

This is what the seal looks like. This one is for Alpha drive but cost would be same for Bravo drive.http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Mercruis...ash=item20ce123317:g:wz4AAOSw3uBZts1i&vxp=mtr

Quicksilver origin New Zealand part# for carrier assembly & seal 11-862118A 2