WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gel coat buff - blue embedded into the white

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
So here is the boat just after the wash and before any buffing.
IMG_8855.jpg

I am using these two products Steve recommended
IMG_9272.jpg

And then also this to finish it.
IMG_9273.jpg

So I wash the boat then start with the heavy compound with my dual action polisher. I started on the left lower side of the boat. Obviously the blue comes off on the pad as it is lightly oxidized. As I go into the white the blue follows. Figure no big deal the blue it will come out and it did a little bit.

Then I wash the pad and try again on just the white. It takes some off but not all of it. And this only happened on certain areas of the white section. It seems to be a little more sun damaged then the blue. It’s not checked or cracked but almost porous and rough. I’m not sure If maybe the blue is coming though from under the white. My last test is I am going to wet sand a small area with 2000 and see if it will come out.

I was thinking to myself well after all the boat 45 years old. At least the blue is coming back very nicely. And unless you get up real close your can’t really see the blue in the white.

Has anyone else ran into this issue??

I’ll try and post a couple close up pics tomorrow.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Close up pics from this morning.
IMG_9594.jpg
IMG_9595.jpg
IMG_9596.jpg

Brobee

Reaction score
IMG_6409.gif

Looks good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Big Mike-

You can see blue in the white on mine too, more prominent after it's washed or wet in the river. The flake in the blue is starting to wear thru, feels rough, years of AZ sun on the river. Mine's a 76, or 43 years old.

Dan'l

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Big Mike-

You can see blue in the white on mine too, more prominent after it's washed or wet in the river. The flake in the blue is starting to wear thru, feels rough, years of AZ sun on the river. Mine's a 76, or 43 years old.

Dan'l
Thank you

I was thinking that was the case and was not going to try and buff it out anymore.