WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gel Coat color Fades repair ?

farmo83

Reaction score
I had stopped into my local fiberglass shop to get a crack repaired in my swim deck. In conversation with the owner I brought up that my boat has a lot of fades in it(a dark color to a light color), the shop owner advised me never to scratch the boat as fades like that can't be repaired outside of a mold? Is this true ?

DWC

Reaction score
I had stopped into my local fiberglass shop to get a crack repaired in my swim deck. In conversation with the owner I brought up that my boat has a lot of fades in it(a dark color to a light color), the shop owner advised me never to scratch the boat as fades like that can't be repaired outside of a mold? Is this true ?
Nordic repaired an area that had a ton of fade on ours. I couldn’t tell where it was when it was done.

old rigger

Reaction score

You need to find a better 'glass shop to do business with.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Not sure where you're located - you need to call Smooth As Glass in Patterson, CA - they do AMAZING work

Singleton

Reaction score
yes It can be fixed.
I have a ton of fades in my design and have had a few repairs done over the 15 boating seasons I have owned my current boat

lenmann

Reaction score
Every DCB and EB that has fades and a half or full cap gets the fades blended to match out of the mold when they re-spray the capped areas.

Pretty sure the same approach applies to repairs.