WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gel Coat design round 2, ran out of crayons

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have drawn this thing so many times I ran out of my fancy colored pencils so my kid showed me how to muttle through "paint", which ended up being quite entertaining.
I took the comments from my first attempt;
-swooshes are out and straight lines are in
-Rub rail location considered
-REV 7 was my try at simplifying??

I came up with 3 that my wife and kids have signed off on, knowing full well what we end up will be different but the same!! Mike will fix everything I have wrong!
which one gets your vote, the difference is in the main body graphic.
Or is it too much/busy? I think my wife just gave up after the 30th or so rendering, "its your dream, I don't really care!" If you can't beat them push them to submission!

REV 5B
REV 6
REV 7
COMPARISON REV 5B, REV6, REV 7.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I was afraid of that, to easy with that paint program,

One vote for "TOO MUCH"

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Personally these are too busy for me, but I've been liking more simple designs lately. To me, the lines that start at the bow and then zig zag down in the middle of the boat cut up the lines and make the boat look shorter than it is. Have you tried any versions where the lines from the bow continue all the way to the transom?

At the end, it's your boat so you should get something that you are happy with. If you like the design, then go for it. I haven't seen any Howards that don't have great looking gel, so I'm sure that Mike will steer you in the right direction to get the look you want.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you like it that’s all that matters.

here are my 2cents (no refunds)

Looks like an 80’s heavy metal concert light show hit the side of your boat.

correct..

Light that paper on fire and start again. :)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I was afraid of that, to easy with that paint program,

One vote for "TOO MUCH"
It’s obvious you want your boat to stand out.
Atleast that’s what I’m getting from your designs.

best way to do that is go with a base color other than white.
Graphics need to flow yours are going in numerous directions. Less can be more.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I haven't seen any Howards that don't have great looking gel, so I'm sure that Mike will steer you in the right direction to get the look you want.

And this is where I should leave things alone!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Long story behind the purple, however it doesn't need to be overpowering

Can you post the line drawing without the gel schemes on it? Maybe some members will print some out and color them in to give you some ideas..

Tell us this story on the purple.. now I'm curious. :D

RD

v6toy4x

Reaction score
It’s obvious you want your boat to stand out.
Atleast that’s what I’m getting from your designs.

best way to do that is go with a base color other than white.
Graphics need to flow yours are going in numerous directions. Less can be more.

It did end up too-stand outish,
I was really wanting different, I have saved every pic I could find of both the 255s and the 288s, there is a commonality in the gels. Probably because it works!

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
# 7, but eliminate all the forward lines in the center, except the small portion of the orange that is contained in the purple. Have you substituted blue for purple? Also try silver instead of gray.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I actually like the "ZZ" stripes,
1614108051099.png

I may add the "Z" continuing across the bottom to bring some length back to the boat.

I like this as a darker orange and not anything close to yellow. All I can think of with purple and yellow is the Lakers

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Try to utilize some of this pattern with your colors. View attachment 975854

That is actually the scheme I mentioned to Gene just with my colors, they did a 255 with almost that identical pattern
255 grey gel scheme.jpg

This is where I got the purple/orange,I dont know what it is but I really like this boat
1B3EBC09-7C66-4527-8909-8039E19727BA.jpeg

I think what I am learning, LEAVE IT TO THE PROs
It is fun to play around with.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
# 7, but eliminate all the forward lines in the center, except the small portion of the orange that is contained in the purple. Have you substituted blue for purple? Also try silver instead of gray.

I am running from the blues, only because that is what everyone has???
Long story to the purple

I will give that a try!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I think my wife just gave up after the 30th or so rendering, "its your dream, I don't really care!" If you can't beat them push them to submission!

I think the takeaway from all of this, is that if you nag your wife to death about anything you want... eventually they will cave in. Its how I got my bus and my dually. "I DONT CARE DO WHATEVER JUST STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!?#%!?#%!#" haha.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Can you post the line drawing without the gel schemes on it? Maybe some members will print some out and color them in to give you some ideas..

Tell us this story on the purple.. now I'm curious. :D

RD

PURPLE
I drink crown, too much crown. I have been given every gimmicky "purple" crown royal item you can think of from my friends and family over the years. From neon signs to Nascar hats--all purple. Even a key floatie

I bought the boat I have now (20yrs) and it is a white boat with enough purple that everyone refers to it as my "purple" boat.
They said I must have drank too much crown the day I bought it! I actually like the colors, so f**k em!!
I now have every boat accessorie under the sun form dock lines and towels to drinking mugs, swim trunks, and purple sunglasses including a purple pop up and matching chairs, cozies and coolers! You get the picture, One friend actually stole my anchor and had it powder coated purple. Its all in fun!
It has become an annual joke that each year I show up with the "new" purple item of the season.

Last year it was a 3 liter bottle of crown in a purple back pack with "2020 boating season--Fuck Covid" embroidered on it. They don't sell the 3 litres in the US so I got someone off another forum who lived in Canada to buy me one and ship it.

This year it is a miniature purple beach chair the 3 liter bottle sits in with purple LED lights!
I will catch a wraith of shit for it but I guarantee that bottle will get emptied!

Its all about tradition and a good laugh, so I can not show up with a new boat and NOT have some purple, I may need to tale back the "amount" of purple by the looks of it.
Beside I will be able to re use all my purple stuff!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I think the takeaway from all of this, is that if you nag your wife to death about anything you want... eventually they will cave in. Its how I got my bus and my dually. "I DONT CARE DO WHATEVER JUST STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!?#%!?#%!#" haha.

Words to live by
OR
Die by!!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score

Going forward you might want consider term or phrase “OUR BUS”. Also,You Tube and build thread is outstanding.Incredible planning that will be obvious at completion. 👍

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I posted the pic before giving my .02 I actually like the direction youre headed, even if it is not meant to be "vintage"

Thanks
I think the biggest part is I ain't no "baller" with money coming out my ears. This is the first, only and last custom boat I will ever be able to have built, so I figure I might as well make it mine. I had the first one since 01, I will die in the second one! With a cocktail in my hand!! we can always dream right??

v6toy4x

Reaction score
My takeaways;

I got off the swooshes from the first try
Now I need to tone down the orange and purple combo to a more subdued accent as opposed to boat color.
In looking at it I did let that get away from me too much.
Reduce the amount of graphics, less is more.

I will tone down REV 7 a bit and see where that goes

REV 8 will be my colors on these 2 howard schemes
gel comparison.jpg

Really just playin around while I wait for my turn, I know Mike will not let it leave looking "ghetto"!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I like the above the best. I think the swooshes going forward look almost like a “tribal” pattern and will date the boat. Keep it simple and timeless and you won’t need to ever do this again.

v6toy4x

Reaction score

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Get something that you are happy with, don't feel like you are settling. You are getting candid feedback here but it is your decision ultimately. I like some of the latest revisions that have been posted up. I would consider making the graphics wrap around the transom so that it is color rather that white. White transoms are very hard to keep looking clean.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Do you have any idea of how much time I spent on my overly complicated design and then you just bust out 6 different ones that all look better!
The flowing graphic all the way to the rear does make the boat looker longer and sleeker.

Now I am the one choosing!

Thanks!
I give him extra points for throwing teal pinstripes in there.👍😎

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Do you have any idea of how much time I spent on my overly complicated design and then you just bust out 6 different ones that all look better!
The flowing graphic all the way to the rear does make the boat looker longer and sleeker.

Now I am the one choosing!

Thanks!
LOL, just goofing around at lunch.
It happens, sometimes you get so caught up in an idea that can't get away from it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have drawn this thing so many times I ran out of my fancy colored pencils so my kid showed me how to muttle through "paint", which ended up being quite entertaining.

I came up with 3 that my wife and kids have signed off on, knowing full well what we end up will be different but the same!! Mike will fix everything I have wrong!
Or is it too much/busy? I think my wife just gave up after the 30th or so rendering, "its your dream, I don't really care!" If you can't beat them push them to submission!

REV 5B
REV 6
REV 7
View attachment 975744
I do like the floating orange pins in the purple on rev7

DWC

Reaction score
If you’re sticking with the colors, I like the middle version the most. A solid compromise would be that design with the Nordic post colors. It would still stand out and you’d move away from the purple. (Personally, don’t mind the purple but it definitely bothers enough of the boating population that I’d avoid it). Pay homage to the purple with the boat name on the back. Mixture of the name and color.
A member here builds all his boats white and wraps them to speed up resale. He seems to go through a lot of stuff so it must work pretty well..

sirbob

Reaction score
I think you are coming up with some great ideas.

Keep working and you will find something you will be happy with.

No matter what, some people will like it and others won’t.

No matter what, every design has its time and then with luck it comes back in style again in the future.

I loved drawing up different ideas and like the ideas you are working with.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I think your coming up with some great ideas.

Keep working and you will find something you will be happy with.

No matter what, some people will like it and others won’t.

No matter what, every design has its time and then with luck it comes back in style again in the future.

I loved drawing up different ideas and like the ideas you are working with.

Thanks,
I like that teal on the matte finish.

Hmmmmmmmm!

Jay Dub

Reaction score

REV 5B
REV 6
REV 7
View attachment 975744
This has got to be so hard. I think they are all too busy and none look like a Howard. I'm a big Howard fan and would seriously consider a 255 once we get thru this virus crap.

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
Remember sometimes less is more. You don’t have to use the whole palette. BTW...I hate purple and Orange lol. It took the wife and I forever to find a boat we liked mainly because of the colors. If your gunna spend $$$ on a boat, ya better love it. Good luck and lots of good advise on here but you opened up the flood gates of praise and criticism. You will end up with a nice looking boat since you are taking your time with it

riverroyal

Reaction score
Carry the lines around the back. Dont stop them near the back. So they connect port and starboard
Switch the purple to a grey/silver/gunmetal color.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hold it....go to the molds section. See the dcb 37 #5. Thats the lines you want.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Terminal velocities renditions in post 31 are much better but I still don’t think you are there yet

bocco

Reaction score
I agree with Traquer. Simple is better. One other thing to consider, the two back corners take the worst abuse from docking and are likely to need gel repair at some point. Think about the parts that might rub a dock and keep those white or a basic non metalic color that's easy to match?