WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gel Coat design round 2, ran out of crayons

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Purple looks cool...........on someone else's boat, but if you're set on purple, make it an accent color. I'm really liking an electric blue metallic, with some metallic tangerine/lemon secondary colors, with as someone else said, some metallic gunmetal. If you pull back and use the purple as an accent color, you can still bring it out on with some purple accents in the interior.

Reactions: DWC

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
As i had said yesterday, here's the others (same quickie layouts) just with Blue and having Purple Pins. All of these were done in 30 minutes just to give an idea. All the advice is great in this thread, and i'm sure his wife is even more...Whatever. LOL
Howard3.jpg
Howard4.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
This has got to be so hard. I think they are all too busy and none look like a Howard. I'm a big Howard fan and would seriously consider a 255 once we get thru this virus crap.

I agree 100% howard is a definite less is more design, I will trudge on, besides its not like I got anything better to do!

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Remember sometimes less is more. You don’t have to use the whole palette. BTW...I hate purple and Orange lol. It took the wife and I forever to find a boat we liked mainly because of the colors. If your gunna spend $$$ on a boat, ya better love it. Good luck and lots of good advise on here but you opened up the flood gates of praise and criticism. You will end up with a nice looking boat since you are taking your time with it

Less is more and simplicity are definitely the majority, It is hard to mot want to add just a little more as you say using too much of the canvas, working on REV 9
Thx

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Hold it....go to the molds section. See the dcb 37 #5. Thats the lines you want.
IMG_6900.JPG

I like this type of less is more, what appears straight, centered and consistent at first glance is not. My brain likes it but can't create it from scratch.
Probably why I don't work at DCB!!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Terminal velocities renditions in post 31 are much better but I still don’t think you are there yet

Working REV 9, using one of Mikes previous gel schemes with subtle tweaks and of course some PURPLE!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Purple looks cool...........on someone else's boat, but if you're set on purple, make it an accent color. I'm really liking an electric blue metallic, with some metallic tangerine/lemon secondary colors, with as someone else said, some metallic gunmetal. If you pull back and use the purple as an accent color, you can still bring it out on with some purple accents in the interior.

YES I have realized I was trying to make the boat purple, bad idea, working towards accenting only

v6toy4x

Reaction score
As i had said yesterday, here's the others (same quickie layouts) just with Blue and having Purple Pins. All of these were done in 30 minutes just to give an idea. All the advice is great in this thread, and i'm sure his wife is even more...Whatever. LOL
View attachment 976107 View attachment 976108

If I could pick my favorite colors to go with each other it is hands down a deep royal light metallic blue along with a gunmetal, I did a couple cars with those colors and loved them.

BUT-EVERYONE is doing BLUE, I can't do it! It has to be something at least a bit off the norm, and purple has a certain place amongst my boating/drinking buds. I don't want to let them down!

Like Sir bobs, though I am no where artistic enough to dream that up, it is simple, beautiful and completely different.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
So the best comment so far next to
" AN 80'S HEAVY METAL ROCK CONCERT INCLUDING THE LIGHT SHOW SLAPPED ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT" 🍻

Is this one-sweet and simple!
(hopefully I don't offend anyone)

"Are you building a HOWARD or a KACHINA!"

Thanks for all the criticing I will be back with REV 9.
I got to get this halfway decent, I don't want to be laughed out of the building by Gene or Mike!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The basis for REV 9-reduced to plagiarism! (stealing an existing 255 scheme)

What is the consensus on the gel pattern?
I think it is a compromise between less is more and my "need" to fill all of the canvas.
I just wish I came up with it!

255 grey gel scheme.jpg

Which lead to this
REV 9.jpg

That is as far as I have at the moment.
My guess is Terminal velocity could probably have done that in 5 minutes! it took me an hour just to figure out how to do curved lines

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Crown specia'l

thanks that was fun
good to have theses kind of problems ----had a few sleepless night thinking what i wanted to do for colors on mine too

not a graphic person at all shaky jack hands
REV 9.jpg

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
The basis for REV 9-reduced to plagiarism! (stealing an existing 255 scheme)

What is the consensus on the gel pattern?
I think it is a compromise between less is more and my "need" to fill all of the canvas.
I just wish I came up with it!

View attachment 976167

Which lead to this
View attachment 976168

That is as far as I have at the moment.
My guess is Terminal velocity could probably have done that in 5 minutes! it took me an hour just to figure out how to do curved lines
That looks Nice!
I'm not using paint, just Autocad...i've got others, all with little tweeks. just figuring out what your colors.
howard5.jpg
howard6.jpg

howard7.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Crown specia'l

thanks that was fun
good to have theses kind of problems ----had a few sleepless night thinking what i wanted to do for colors on mine too

not a graphic person at all shaky jack hands
View attachment 976181

"crown special"

You should have saved that one for the eventual

"what to name my new boat" thread 🍻 🍻

v6toy4x

Reaction score
That looks Nice!
I'm not using paint, just Autocad...i've got others, all with little tweeks. just figuring out what your colors.
View attachment 976187 View attachment 976188
View attachment 976189
I can barely open plans on PDFs, let alone navigate/use CAD
something about old dog and new tricks!

by the time I get through all these I will be up to REV 612 :D
I will peruse these when I get home tonight

Fun stuff, while it is on paper--not so much after its on the boat if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

thx for playing along!

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
I can barely open plans on PDFs, let alone navigate/use CAD
something about old dog and new tricks!

by the time I get through all these I will be up to REV 612 :D
I will peruse these when I get home tonight

Fun stuff, while it is on paper--not so much after its on the boat if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

thx for playing along!
Where the magic comes into bringing lines and colors to life, is the painter/gelcoaters ability to add fades, drop shadows etc. Then what you think looks good on paper, turns out amazing in real life.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
REV 9
Third Round, probably the last.
With the previous "tries" in the rear view I have decided to try plagiarizing an existing scheme, adding some small tweaks and my colors in hopes of not being a straight up copy. I really like this particular one including the colors but I need to have some purple and orange??
Yes I was dropped on my head as a kid, my first bedroom was painted orange and I already told the story on the purple.

Main body to be a light grey
Secondary boat color is a darker grey
Accents are orange and purple
I have tried to tone down the purple by adding either pins inside the graphic or more solid in fill of a darker grey
Most of the orange has been reduced to right at the water line with black pins added in.

It surprises me how much the look changes just by changing the color of a few pin lines.

The biggest takeaway was to not use the purple and orange to "color" the boat but merely accent, I think I am close to the middle ground.
I will hand off the edited version, after critic!, to Howard and let Mike do his thing when my turn arrives.

I am swaying to 9J-dk grey pins or small infills in the purple graphics, black pins everywhere else??
REV 9 COMPARISON.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
REV 9
With the previous "tries" in the rear view I have decided to try plagiarizing an existing scheme, adding some small tweaks and my colors in hopes of not being a straight up copy. I really like this particular one including the colors but I need to have some purple and orange??
Yes I was dropped on my head as a kid, my first bedroom was painted orange and I already told the story on the purple.

I have tried to tone down the purple by adding either pins inside the graphic or more solid in fill of a darker grey
Most of the orange has been reduced to right at the water line with black pins added in.

It surprises me how much the look changes just by changing the color of a few pin lines.

The biggest takeaway was to not use the purple and orange to "color" the boat but merely accent, I think I am close to the middle ground.
I will hand off the edited version, after critic!, to Howard and let Mike do his thing when my turn arrives.

I am swaying to 9J-dk grey pins or small infills in the purple graphics, black pins everywhere else??
View attachment 976475

🤨 now it looks like every other Howard.. lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
REV 9

View attachment 976475

Ditch the triangle outline in the back.
You are much closer. I’m sure the Howard crew can tweak that to look good.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
REV 9

View attachment 976475

Try making the grey part all purple with all the stripes orange. And then flip that design orange with purple strips.
Just a thought.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
🤨 now it looks like every other Howard.. lol

I HEAR you!!, my comment to Mike will be,
"make it look close to this BUT different!!"

Pretty soon I will be back to just showing a couple paint chips!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Try making the grey part all purple with all the stripes orange. And then flip that design orange with purple strips.
Just a thought.

I did try that but it made it either a purple boat or an orange boat.
I think it needs to NOT be a purple or orange boat but merely accented??????

Hell I don't know, I may throw in the towel along with my wifey, re inventing the wheel is a bitch!

hallett3

Reaction score
My sons Howard . He went with a little different design. Not the typical Howard graphics.
1614288095774.png

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I think your latest designs look much better than what you started with. I've always thought that grey with orange and black accents look great on a boat. Also, keep in mind that unless you go with something very basic/boring, your boat will be dated eventually which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Styles just evolve over the years. In the early 2000s there were a lot of tribal graphics and flames, in the mid 2000s there were a bunch of full color yellow/orange boats with fishhooks on the end of stripes, then in the late 2000s things went more swoopy, and it seems like since 2015 or so there have been a lot of long straight lines in graphics.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
My sons Howard . He went with a little different design. Not the typical Howard graphics. View attachment 976545

This starts the conversation on the whole next step which was pointed out earlier by terminal velocity and carried out by "gel coater".

The gel coaters magic with the fades and other techniques. I love the way the blue on the sponson tip lightens as it moves to the back and the top blue swoop goes to almost black at the front. This truly is where the magic happens.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
This is looking good! I also like the last one.

traquer

Reaction score
Not sure if you've considered a metallic blueish-purple as the accent and not solid bright purple? I would love to see a 3d render include a color like this:

1614294051529.png

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Not sure if you've considered a metallic blueish-purple as the accent and not solid bright purple? I would love to see a 3d render include a color like this:

View attachment 976569

YES, the color in paint is not representative, I posted the colors in my first try thread and forgot to bring them to this thread.
My current boat has something very close to that, the actual purple is what will make it work
Screenshot 2021-02-18 173415.jpg

Gel Coater pointed out that paint pearls weren't the same as gel coats so not quite apples to apples but the trick was to add white to a dark purple base color
1614294838170.png

v6toy4x

Reaction score
You use the paint bucket and it fills in complete sections in one click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried using that but I couldn't get it to work worth a s**t, operator error I am sure!
Here is what I got after 4 hours!
The pins in the purple are the orange but come out pink?
1614309451458.jpeg

1614309311238.jpeg

1614309392501.jpeg

1614309417405.jpeg

1614309512158.jpeg

HavaToon

Reaction score

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I'd suggest not putting the pins inside the colors and just use them as outlines

I like it better without the upper front "stripe", goes with the less is more deal!
I am pulling back on the orange more and more wanting just fine accents of it-pins

I think you are right on the pins, I will let Mike outline as he sees fit. EXCEPT for the pin at the very top in the purple band. I think that will look really nice given the orange and purple I want. The orange will pop on that purple. Just that one the rest will be mikes to sort.

Who am I foolin'? the whole thing will be mikes take on it. I just want to play as much as anything I suppose.
I will probably do one more, removing the interior pins and maybe remove all the orange except the pin and outlines
Might expand the black a bit, or actually lessen the dark grey area a bit.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
For me most of the modern paint works on the cats are all the same, just insert different color here and there. If I was building a new boat, I would send the paint work straight to Billy B and give him the freedom in the spray booth.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Removed all the orange and placed as pins.
Rev9.jpg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking great! Don’t be afraid to cross that rub rail, mine does 9 times and they nailed it. It also extends to the upholstery on the hatch and the gel coat under it. That’s why you are buying a premier custom boat!